shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie looking for advice on 1ct ~$5k

JAMadera

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone

I recently started looking into getting diamond for engagement ring. As with any major purchase I do tons of research before I buy. I must say that it has been interesting reading up on diamonds.

I have realized that the cut is most important and I am trying to learn what it looks like. So I'm trying to decide on best 1ct-$5k diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2224831

This is one that I think might be good cut.

Also on side note a friend is selling these rings for $7k. They are supposedly really good diamonds. I was thinking to take the center stone and sell the sets on CL for $3-4k. Is that worth it?

6fc3e1c55ea94450f133244436dec9c3.jpg
751bc68cacfad279797e80b6b9ce4aa3.jpg
c3318a5f5aeeb0819b0869242e3ade2f.jpg
4dbcaa00774e4f4e9e78a8a6553e99ec.jpg

carbonquest

Rough_Rock
GSI certificate? You are right - cut is the most important factor. If you don't mind dropping the colour why dont you go for Whiteflash's A Cut Above diamond. They're known to be one of the BEST in the world.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3706894.htm

thats a lovely stone for a Carat and will be sure to sparkle like crazy. If you're not keen on the colour - always remember they have a LIFETIME upgrade policy, so if you bought a stone for $x in 1 month or 10 years they'll take back the stone and give you $x credit towards a stone of equal or greater value.

with such a supreme cut it will sparkle and i think that you won't notice the colour once its set. what do you think

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solasferas are nice stones if you like the look. They have 10 arrows so they look a little busier than the usual round brilliant with
8 arrows. I'm surpised it is IGI graded...I thought they all would be GIA graded. Good Old Gold sells them if you want to go have
a closer look at them. IGI usually does not great as strictly as GIA so the color/clarity may be lower if graded by GIA. An
independent appraiser could help you figure that out. They could also give you info on the setting and what they thought you
could sell it for.
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

That being said, you most likely will not be able to sell the setting for 3-4k. You will be lucky to get $2k (IMO) and you may be
lucky to get rid of it at all. I have 2 places where I keep a watch on pre-loved (ok, used) items. It will take the right buyer and
it may sit there for a while at $2k.

Ask your friend if they are willing to sell just the center stone if that is what you want.

Due to less stict grading by some labs, we usually recommend sticking with GIA/AGS graded stones.

Its hard to hit the 1 carat mark with $5k. See if you can get an idealscope on this stone
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2232983

A nice .93
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.93-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2003519

If you are willing to drop to a "J" that Whiteflash stone posted above would be amazing and would face up very white...you usually only
see the tint from the side.

JAMadera

Rough_Rock
Ohhh 10 arrows I see it now that you mention it!! So this would make it sparkle more than normal 8 arrow diamonds!?
But what's the trade off? My girl wants mainly sparkle more than anything so would this be better than the ones on WF even though they are ideal cuts.
Ps those diamonds you guys picked out are incredible, I think I'll go with one of those if my buddy doesn't sell me the center stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JAMadera|1480096624|4102558 said:
Ohhh 10 arrows I see it now that you mention it!! So this would make it sparkle more than normal 8 arrow diamonds!?
But what's the trade off? My girl wants mainly sparkle more than anything so would this be better than the ones on WF even though they are ideal cuts.
Ps those diamonds you guys picked out are incredible, I think I'll go with one of those if my buddy doesn't sell me the center stone.

Threads get slower responses during the holidays. Please don't buy that diamond. Let an expert here help you. They can help you find something stunning in your budget and one that will put that Jared's diamond to shame. Wait a few days this thread will get more activity. The diamonds tyty are also much nicer.

JAMadera

Rough_Rock
Mayk said:

Threads get slower responses during the holidays. Please don't buy that diamond. Let an expert here help you. They can help you find something stunning in your budget and one that will put that Jared's diamond to shame. Wait a few days this thread will get more activity. The diamonds tyty are also much nicer.

Yeah prob will wait. I might see if my buddy sells the center for like $3k

Just went by Kay's and saw their Tikosky(spelling!??) it was pretty good on the scope. Was selling for $9k for SI1, 1ct. They put the Leo with similar specs and it looked like crap and was like $8k.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The trade off is smaller sparkle...it is a slightly busier look.

Here is a comparison with a little over 1 carat stones...1 solesfera and 2 round brillians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMZyvdvU3M

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The table is small on that Jared center diamond. You can do better than it.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1480113777|4102615 said:
The table is small on that Jared center diamond. You can do better than it.

Not to comment about the diamond specifically but I don't think there is anything wrong with a 54% table.

JAMadera

Rough_Rock
tyty333 said:

The trade off is smaller sparkle...it is a slightly busier look.

Here is a comparison with a little over 1 carat stones...1 solesfera and 2 round brillians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMZyvdvU3M

Oh wow, that's cool. Well I'm so glad that I posted now. You guys are so helpful.

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I do not have an expert eye, but those diamonds look pretty grey and dull to me. I would check around before I made my purchase. Especially if your lady prefers something more sparkly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results