shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here...Question about unheated sapphire

munchkinlee

Rough_Rock
Hiya...just found this forum tonight after seeing a beautiful unheated sapphire ring, and I wanted to know ya'll opinion on the value and price of it...they're asking 50k :o and I've attached some pictures...I stumbled across this ring and fell in love with it and would love for it to be my engagement ring...it's out of my budget currently so if you guys thing it's fairly priced then I'll have to look around for something else but if I can get it for lower then I'd love to get it :pray:

image_2865.jpg
image_2866.jpg
image_2867.jpg
image_2868.jpg
image_2869.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Before we can say much we need more info.
1) Who graded it as unheated?
2) Are your pics accurate for colour?
3) What lighting were they taken under?

munchkinlee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding, LoversKites!

1. I believe it has a AGL certificate that states it is unheated, but I'm still waiting on it.
2. My pictures are okay on color, the overall pictures captures it when indoors. The portion that my pictures doesn't cover is that there is a slight portion of the stone that is clear, but it is near the side of the stone and not apparent unless looking at it under the sun, you can then see through it to the side of the ring and see that there are "lines" where it is a clear stone. Also, I noticed that the stone was cut crooked...the base of it has one side much longer than the other when it meets to the bottom middle corner (if that makes sense?)
3. The previous pictures were taken under slightly yellowish artificial lighting. I have attached pictures of it under natural sun.

image_2872.jpg
image_2874.jpg
image_2875.jpg image_2876.jpg

I've tried to show where on one side of it, you can see the more clear side of the stone. I've also attached a side view where you can see where it was cut where it's lopsided on the bottom. I don't know anything about sapphires and hadn't even considered one for a ring until I saw this one, so I've been frantically trying to do some research since I don't want someone else to buy it! So I apologize in advance that my descriptions are kind of horrible. Thanks for any help and I really appreciate it! =)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The "clear" spots you're seeing are called "tilt windows". It's the ability to see through the stone when the stone is being viewed at an angle besides straight down through the table. This is typical/normal. Even diamonds can and do have tilt windows.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It's pretty common for gems to be cut a little lopsided, usually to avoid an inclusion, cut a heavier stone or perhaps there wasn't any rough left in that area. Freke already explained about titlt windows. Honestly i don't know enough about pricing to know how much a 5.6ct sapphire like that is sold for.

The tone of the sapphire is dark. Are you sure you like that? Nothing wrong with it but sometimes people haven't seen a sapphire with vivid colouration that is of medium to medium dark tone (that's the trade ideal).

Its good that the report is AGL.

ETA - maybe something here could be used as a comparison? Their 5 carat sapphires are going for 22-30k. But most are heated.
http://www.ajsgem.com/blue-sapphire-gemstone-sapphire-2046340410.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are those dots that I circled?
What are the carat weights, colour and clarity of the side white diamonds? I presume the $50K price tag is for the entire ring.

image_2876.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It says J/SI 1.4ct on the tag. Hope the OP can confirm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1421679126|3818853 said:
It says J/SI 1.4ct on the tag. Hope the OP can confirm.

Me too. I don't know if they are 1.4 ct each or 1.4 ct total weight. I would also presume they are estimates by the jeweller, not backed with a GIA lab report. I'm just trying to get a breakdown of the ring to see whether the price is fair.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something like it, I would go with a smaller stone in the same shape, but similar color. What is you budget?

Depending on your budget, you may have to go with a heated stone (heat only, no other treatments), which can significantly save you a great deal.

I suspect the high price is due to the fact this is a very large stone. It looks to be at least 5 carats as cushions generally face up small for their carat size, the unheated treatment status, and the color.

I suggest searching for stones, and then have someone make up a similar setting for your eventual stone. To save more money, you could also search in stock three stone settings. That would be cheaper than having a similar setting made from scratch.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
munchkinlee|1421649776|3818757 said:
Thanks for responding, LoversKites!

1. I believe it has a AGL certificate that states it is unheated, but I'm still waiting on it.
2. My pictures are okay on color, the overall pictures captures it when indoors. The portion that my pictures doesn't cover is that there is a slight portion of the stone that is clear, but it is near the side of the stone and not apparent unless looking at it under the sun, you can then see through it to the side of the ring and see that there are "lines" where it is a clear stone. Also, I noticed that the stone was cut crooked...the base of it has one side much longer than the other when it meets to the bottom middle corner (if that makes sense?)
3. The previous pictures were taken under slightly yellowish artificial lighting. I have attached pictures of it under natural sun.

image_2872.jpg
image_2874.jpg
image_2875.jpg image_2876.jpg

I've tried to show where on one side of it, you can see the more clear side of the stone. I've also attached a side view where you can see where it was cut where it's lopsided on the bottom. I don't know anything about sapphires and hadn't even considered one for a ring until I saw this one, so I've been frantically trying to do some research since I don't want someone else to buy it! So I apologize in advance that my descriptions are kind of horrible. Thanks for any help and I really appreciate it! =)

Your bolded description above sounds to me like color zoning. If it really is, and one area of the stone is visibly lighter as a consequence, with lines or stripes of color, that would decrease the value considerably. In general, any apparent-to-the-naked-eye factor that takes away from the uniform color of a sapphire will significantly decrease the price, depending upon its overall impact. I would say, based on your description and the limited photos that flaw would be considered to have a fair impact on value.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
I suggest searching for stones, and then have someone make up a similar setting for your eventual stone. To save more money, you could also search in stock three stone settings. That would be cheaper than having a similar setting made from scratch.

I agree with this. Good luck! =)

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is this certified as being burmese of origin ? If so value increases as well.

munchkinlee

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the responses! I'm tryin to type this on the phone so I can't do the " quote-in-a-box" type of response to each questions, but I'll try to answer the questions best as I can remember:

Yes, on the certificate it states that it is believed to be of burmese origin and unheated

I believe the diamonds are 1.4ct combined for the two, the price tag is for the ring together and not just the stone. I don't think the smaller diamonds on the side have a GIA certificate.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and help on this!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For price comps, take a look at these to see whether you feel the ring is fairly priced or over-priced (since you have seen the sapphire in person).

5 carat unheated Burmese sapphire with GRS lab report and LOTS of large diamond accents in a handforged setting. I'm guessing the setting is at least $20K by itself. Video included.
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/shop-now/natural-unheated-burma-sapphire-diamond-ring-detail

5 ct unheated Ceylon sapphires with GRS lab reports and videos.
$45K http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-5.37-carats.html
$30K http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/unheated-blue-sapphire-5.06-carats.html
Although the two look the same on paper, there is a significant price difference due to colouration, which is why it is difficult to give accurate price comps without knowing what you are seeing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1421844327|3819770 said:
For price comps, take a look at these to see whether you feel the ring is fairly priced or over-priced (since you have seen the sapphire in person).

5 carat unheated Burmese sapphire with GRS lab report and LOTS of large diamond accents in a handforged setting. I'm guessing the setting is at least $20K by itself. Video included.
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/shop-now/natural-unheated-burma-sapphire-diamond-ring-detail

5 ct unheated Ceylon sapphires with GRS lab reports and videos.
$45K http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-5.37-carats.html
$30K http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/unheated-blue-sapphire-5.06-carats.html
Although the two look the same on paper, there is a significant price difference due to colouration, which is why it is difficult to give accurate price comps without knowing what you are seeing.

Wow, that Leon Mege ring is unbelievably beautiful! What a gorgeous sapphire! :love: I mean, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing such a piece (would constantly worry about it), but I can sure day dream about it!

As to the AJS stones - of course its hard to tell from photos, but from what I see in the one photo, I find the "cheaper" $30K stone so much nicer in coloration than the $45K stone. Interesting how they price things.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I, too, prefer the $30K AJS sapphire. :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Leon ring is actually well priced as Burmese sapphires have a premium on their origin. Great setting too.

It puts the Kate/Diana ring to shame.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1421861997|3819922 said:
The Leon ring is actually well priced as Burmese sapphires have a premium on their origin. Great setting too.

I know, right? I bet Kate would love to have the Mege ring...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1421864405|3819941 said:
TL|1421861997|3819922 said:

I know, right? I bet Kate would love to have the Mege ring...

I think she's quite happy with the one she has. ;-) It's worth a lot in sentimental value, although the ring is blah, and the center stone is way too dark.

The Leon ring is gorgeous, make an offer!! :naughty: :bigsmile:

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I am guessing Leon is a Godfather's fan. Did anyone see the parody(I think it was "Mafia") using the line, "I am going to make him an offer he cannot understand" :lol:

OP, you never told us your budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results