shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here...asking for help on sapphire ring...

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Hello! This is my first post here, and I have to say that I have been following this forum for a few weeks. I think it's great how people pitch in to help each other, and the HONESTY! I am in the market for a sapphire ring, because the beautiful one that my husband gave me about 4 years ago got lost in the Holiday melee.... anyway, I have been to several websites, sapphirerings.org, JamesAllen.com, Brilliantearth.com, and the naturalsapphirecompany.com. I just wanted to see what you guys think about these sites, or if you have better plans to build a beautiful sapphire ring for AT THE MOST $6k. I love the lighter-toned ceylon sapphires, and not the strongest saturated ones. I like the cornflower blue, but I do want it to be bright. I prefer oval stones or cushion cuts, and just really want a pretty plain halo setting, with QUALITY diamonds and set in 18K white gold. Can I ask for your expert help? I would really appreciate it! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some reviews on the vendors you named but not all. I am not familiar with Sapphirerings. JA is new to us CSers but have been recommended often for diamonds. You'll find plenty of reviews here on BE and NSC.

What sort of setting are you considering? This will let us work out your budget for the sapphire.
How soon do you need this ring completed?
I note that you like a medium tone but what about saturation? Medium or strong (gray or more intense)? You mentioned you want a bright cornflower blue so to me, it sounds like a medium toned strongly saturated blue sapphire.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
There is a sapphire I like that is B 4/3...so medium light tone, very slight brown or gray saturation. (per GIA grading) It is an oval stone, and looks beautiful in the picture. SKU# 2591 at sapphirerings.org is the stone, not the setting I like. I want it set in a plain, halo-type setting with white diamonds. I am not familiar with BE or NSC? What are they? Excuse my extreme lack of knowledge.... thanks for your help. Budget is anywhere up to around 5-6K max.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was being lazy and didn't feel up to typing the full business names of Brilliant Earth and Natural Sapphires Company. :oops:

Return policy: make sure you are all right with their 2 day return policy.
http://www.sapphirerings.org/shipping

The colour description of the sapphire seems about right but I am not enarmoured by the cut. Although I don't need my stones to be precision cut, this one is a bit too "rough" even for my taste. A better cut stone with that same colouration will appear brighter and livelier.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for your information on the stone cutting. I have no way of telling that it is "rough"! Yeah...I was aware of their 2 day turnaround time, which would make it quite difficult to have another jeweler look at the stone... ok,so now I'm back to square 1! I do want a stone that's around 8mmx10mm, and I am not sure I'm gonna be able to find it in my price range. I have been to BE, and NSC (now that I konw what that was! :) and their sapphires are mostly 8x6 oval max. Any other suggestions? THANK YOU SO MUCH! The cut looked fine to my extremely untrained eyes...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These vendors might have something you like within budget.

Joe Escobar - http://www.escobardiamonds.com
Gary Braun of Fine Water Gems - www.finewatergems.com
Jim Rentfrow www.flawlessfacets.com/
Andrew Gulij of Gemfix - www.gemfix.com
Constantin Wild - www.gemstone.de
Lisa Elser - www.lisaelser.com
Gem Line - www.litnon.com
Dana of Master Cut Gems - www.mastercutgems.com
David Wein of Multicolour Gems - www.multicolour.com
John - www.simplysapphires.com
Roger Dery of Spectral Gems - www.spectralgems.net
Jeff Davies of Fine Gemstones and Jewelry- http://stores.ebay.com/finegemstonesandjewelry
Vance Gems - http://stores.ebay.com/Vance-Gems-LLC/Vance-Gems.html

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Many thanks! I will have a great time going through these sites! I'll let you know what I find! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, but I would be reluctant to buy a stone already set just because I can't completely look it over, you know? Then again, if it had a lab report with it, that might suffice. So the sapphire you are interested in is pleasing in color in the pics, but we have no clue if it really has been treated or not as it doesn't appear to have a lab report (they're just using the old GIA color descriptors). I also fell for the old tcw - total carat weight thing - and at first was impressed to think that they were selling an unheated sapphire of that size and color for roughly $1k/ct, until I realized that treatment level is not clear and the sapphire is 3 cts and not close to 5 cts like I initially thought. I don't like it when its easy to misread.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
I am just more frustrated than ever....I went through the vendor list (THANKS FOR THAT!) but I cannot seem to find something that is acceptable within my budget. I will keep on keeping on and look, look, look. I read through the whole scenario where that guy was looking for the perfect ring for his girlfriend, and how he even bought that square ring from the jeweler associated with Simply Sapphires, only to see how FLAT it was when he got it home. How in the WORLD do you ever find a good stone? I don't know of a good jeweler around me, if you guys do, please let me know. I live in central North Carolina...Raleigh/Durham area. THANK YOU. I'm getting ready to go hunt through the internet again! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that stone a lot and hope one day to add one of lighter tone like that to my collection. That vendor is considered a good one, but a bit on the pricey side (though the price of that sapphire does not seem unreasonable). You might want to google them here, because I cannot recall if they are one of the vendors whose stones appear darker in hand than they do in their photos. Also, I would want to verify treatment via a lab report.

Personal vent: I don't like fake videos - either give us a video, or don't have anything. Can't stand when they give you their promo garbage instead. :nono:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolfpackgirl|1390415533|3598671 said:

While it appears to be a pretty color, you can't tell much about the stone from their photos, and they don't offer up much info. For example, is it eye clean or are there visible inclusions? Is it well cut or is that a window? Does it have color zoning? extinction? I wish they just provided all of that info up front, as most vendors do, because otherwise, it forces the buyer to spend time following up and asking questions which one should not have to do.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purchasing a quality sapphire ring (or even just the stone itself) is not, I'm sorry to say, like buying shoes where there are multiple vendors offering, at any one time, the same kind of merchandise. The size you desire, and within your targeted budget, may not exist at this very moment. But have you looked at Dana Reynolds' Sri Lanka sapphire page on his Master Cut Gems web site?
http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=301

Dana is located in Madison, North Carolina, so that might be a plus for you.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
MollyM put it succinctly. It's not an easy search, but the right one will pop up for you -- maybe even sooner than later. I think this one from MasterCut is nice & it's in line with the color you linked to. It's smaller than your ideal size but the price is within your budget & leaves enough for a nice setting -- sometimes we need to be flexible on some criteria to achieve others. Dana states that the veil isn't visible unless you stuck your eye at wrist length from the stone, and he is a straight-up guy. Return policy is great -- and it comes with an AGL brief, so no need to hassle with that.

26954.jpg

DCANYC

Rough_Rock
Hey this thread is incredibly helpful- thanks to all! I'm in a pretty similar situation as the OP- looking for a great sapphire, Anyone have oppinions on wild fish gems?

They weren't listed above, and I tried to deal with Ed not long ago, but he seemed to jerk me along for a bit- Not sure if I was being overly cautious or what, but looking at his prices they seem like they might have been higher than comparibles from above. I'd like to work with the guy becasue he does have a few sapphires I like, but I just can't seem to get a read on seller. Thoughts?

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
I want to thank all of you so very much. I am finding your answers so incredibly valuable..being a jewelry and gemstone lover and not being very gemstone savvy at all....I am so glad I found you folks. I am continuing to search and will check out any new information! THANK YOU!!!! :loopy:

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi jewel freak.I tried to see that sapphire..couldn't find...someone may have bought it out from under me, or either I just can't find it. Is the proper website address: www.mastercutgems.com?? Thanks
If you happen upon another beauty like that..can you email me directly? Thanks so much. Judi. Email is [email protected]

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
You will find this one under the ANAGEE Sri Lanka gems tab.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DCANYC|1390420800|3598744 said:
Hey this thread is incredibly helpful- thanks to all! I'm in a pretty similar situation as the OP- looking for a great sapphire, Anyone have oppinions on wild fish gems?

They weren't listed above, and I tried to deal with Ed not long ago, but he seemed to jerk me along for a bit- Not sure if I was being overly cautious or what, but looking at his prices they seem like they might have been higher than comparibles from above. I'd like to work with the guy becasue he does have a few sapphires I like, but I just can't seem to get a read on seller. Thoughts?

Hi and welcome DCANYC! Its best for you to start your own thread and ask questions there - this helps so that answers to you are not buried in this thread and also does not threadjack the OP's thread. :))

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Vapid Lapid for the link! What do you think about the veil? I really don't know enough at ALL to judge this stone. I love the color...but how about the cutting? Does it look like it would be pretty in a HALO setting? It looks to me like there is no window...but I can't tell due to my inexperience. I am continuing to search....again, thanks so much everyone...so very helpful.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
wolfpackgirl|1390446229|3599159 said:
Thanks Vapid Lapid for the link! What do you think about the veil? I really don't know enough at ALL to judge this stone. I love the color...but how about the cutting? Does it look like it would be pretty in a HALO setting? It looks to me like there is no window...but I can't tell due to my inexperience. I am continuing to search....again, thanks so much everyone...so very helpful.

You cant really judge it from the photo and description. They help in narrowing selections, but ultimately you have to see the stone in person to judge its faults and merits. If you think this could be the stone for you then you should have a look at it, making sure the return policy is fair. If I were in the market I would want a look at this one.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Buying stones online is not for the faint of heart. I still get nervous sending stones out.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana has a 10-day return, no questions asked, full refund policy (no restocking fee) - although it looks as if he will allow for more time to obtain a lab report if that's not already included with the stone he sells you:
http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=payment
http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=about

I purchased a garnet and a Madagascar sapphire from him in November-December & found his photos accurately represented the stones in hand (well, as accurate as can be - given that gemstones are tough to capture in pics & I have yet to invest in color-calibration hardware for my computer monitor). Plus, Dana is a sweetheart, a pleasure to deal with.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1390446823|3599170 said:
wolfpackgirl|1390446229|3599159 said:

You cant really judge it from the photo and description. They help in narrowing selections, but ultimately you have to see the stone in person to judge its faults and merits. If you think this could be the stone for you then you should have a look at it, making sure the return policy is fair. If I were in the market I would want a look at this one.

Here's the thing: if you look around a bit and do your research, you will likely save a bunch of money on your sapphire ring (definitely a lot over what it would cost in a retail store). Given that, its worth it to see a few gems in hand even if you have to pay postage there and back, and even if it takes some of your time packing it up and sending it back. We've just about all done it - and some of us have done it over and over. If you view it as a necessary part of the process and as a research expense, it will be easier to accept as not the waste of money it might appear. If you do decide to see a few in hand, make sure you see them in different lightings at different times of day. Morning sun, afternoon/evening light, incandescent, fluorescent (often a killer). See what happens in low light as well. Stores tend to have perfect lighting for stones, so its often a disadvantage to buy there. Buying online gives you the flexibility to take a look when its convenient for you in the lighting that you will likely see it in the most.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I just received a reply from Brilliant Earth, with a larger sapphire than they usually source. Tell me what you think.....
9x6.jpg
All I know right now is that it is 9.0 x 6.5, "ceylon" sapphire.. I have asked for much more information.... I'm learning! :)

DCANYC

Rough_Rock
wolfpackgirl|1390519466|3599762 said:
Hi everyone, I just received a reply from Brilliant Earth, with a larger sapphire than they usually source. Tell me what you think.....
9x6.jpg
All I know right now is that it is 9.0 x 6.5, "ceylon" sapphire.. I have asked for much more information.... I'm learning! :)

Brilliant Earth uses a lot of heated sapphires- Not sure if that is an issue or not for you but you might want to keep that in mind.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
that's the one treatment they did say it had undergone. I am sticking to my guns though, if they don't provide a certification...no deal. Thanks so much for all the info! I at least know some great online vendors from all of the collective knowledge on this forum! :) :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results