shape
carat
color
clarity

New York Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I are seriously considering spending 10 days in New York in May - I''m excited to say the least.

As this will be our first time in NYC (and in the States as we are in Australia) I was wondering if you could help me out with any recommendations on places to stay and sights to see.

We are thinking of staying at the Waldorf Astoria. Not the cheapest I know, but we figured it would be fun to stay at such an iconic hotel. However, after reading their website I''m slightly concerned about the dress code which seems to suggest t-shirts and jeans are not permitted in any public space in the hotel. While I understand the need for standards, I''m not sure I could pull off 10 days without wearing jeans while traveling. Can anyone who has stayed her enlighten me further about the standard of dress expected?

Also does anyone have any other hotel recommendations? We want something nice, with air conditioning that is central.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 5:25:49 AM
Author:softly softly
My husband and I are seriously considering spending 10 days in New York in May - I'm excited to say the least.

As this will be our first time in NYC (and in the States as we are in Australia) I was wondering if you could help me out with any recommendations on places to stay and sights to see.

We are thinking of staying at the Waldorf Astoria. Not the cheapest I know, but we figured it would be fun to stay at such an iconic hotel. However, after reading their website I'm slightly concerned about the dress code which seems to suggest t-shirts and jeans are not permitted in any public space in the hotel. While I understand the need for standards, I'm not sure I could pull off 10 days without wearing jeans while traveling. Can anyone who has stayed her enlighten me further about the standard of dress expected?

Also does anyone have any other hotel recommendations? We want something nice, with air conditioning that is central.

Where did you get the idea that jeans aren't permitted? Not to worry. Jeans and t's are okay in all but the fancy-schmancyist restaurants in NY. In fact, if they didn't allow them, I think they'd have no guests! :)

The Waldorf is a perfect place to stay. Very centrally located and convenient. You are within walking distance to the following:
Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Broadway theaters, Grand Central Terminal, Empire State Building, Bloomingdales, Saks, Bergdorfs, the UN, Museum of Modern Art and tons more. And of course, everything else is just a cab or subway ride away!

Don't forget, a pair of sneakers (or other really comfy shoes) are suggested WITH your jeans and t's!
1.gif

ETA: You'll be hard pressed to find a hotel without central air. Don't worry..You'll be very comfortable at the Waldorf!

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
I checked their website and saw this one little FAQ:

T-shirts, tank tops, faded jeans, cut-offs, and casual hats are not permitted in the Main Lobby, Park Avenue Lobby, restaurants, or public areas of the hotel.

Really, I think that''s just to keep a bunch of lookie-loos out. And kids. They just don''t want anyone hanging out in their lobby in tank tops and baseball caps (I assume that''s what they mean by "casual hats"?!?) Don''t worry. I think that rule was left over from the 40''s!
41.gif
I live just a few blocks away and see zillions of people running in and out of that hotel all the time. I also have friends who''ve stayed there and it''s not an issue.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
We spent 5 days in NY and stayed in The Pod hotel, it was part of a 7wk RTW trip so we were on a tight budget and for all accounts a really nice hotel for the price (actually I was amazed how nice it was for the price) it wasn''t to far out from anything we walked so much anyway it didn''t bother us and the price was fantastic for NY. We really loved NY, it is a really bustling city and so different to Australia.

Things to do, see eat:

[*] Circle line cruise - I think we did the 3hr one, it was a good way to see a lot in a short space of time
[*] 5th Ave - I especially loved visiting Tiffany''s the ones in Australia pale in comparision
[*] Empire State Building - the view is amazing
[*] Shop till your hearts content - I have never encountered better shopping ANYWHERE, if you have the energy and are determined century 21 has some really good stuff, also if you love MAC make-up buy it in NY it is WAY cheaper then in OZ.
[*] Times Square
[*] Head out of the Manhattan into Soho and Grenwich village loved both places
[*] Drink loads of iced tea - the Iced tea spritzers in starbucks are TDF, also had the most fantastic peppermint iced tea in Grenwich in a dingy little hippy cafe it was awesome.
[*] Catch a broadway show you can get discount tickets
here you just buy them on the day

Walk heaps - I seriously think this was the best way to see NY and what FI and I did lots of you miss so much taking the subway (we did this too when we needed to get somewhere quick) or a cab - the city is awesome.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hey Softly Softly, I wouldn't worry about the jeans thing. My BF stayed at the Waldorf a few months ago, had no problems (he was wearing jeans about half the time while he was there).

If you don't stay at the Waldorf, I also liked the Bryant Park Hotel (very modern, really cool - the Waldorf has a very old-timey feel). I'm much more a fan of modern than old-world
3.gif
If you're looking for something like the Waldorf and don't want to deal with the dress code or whatnot, the Helmsley Park Lane is also a great bet (it's also right next to Central Park). And the Le Parker Meridien is awesome as well.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 8:27:54 AM
Author: Deelight
We spent 5 days in NY and stayed in The Pod hotel, it was part of a 7wk RTW trip so we were on a tight budget and for all accounts a really nice hotel for the price (actually I was amazed how nice it was for the price) it wasn''t to far out from anything we walked so much anyway it didn''t bother us and the price was fantastic for NY. We really loved NY, it is a really bustling city and so different to Australia.

Things to do, see eat:

[*] Circle line cruise - I think we did the 3hr one, it was a good way to see a lot in a short space of time

[*] 5th Ave - I especially loved visiting Tiffany''s the ones in Australia pale in comparision

[*] Empire State Building - the view is amazing

[*] Shop till your hearts content - I have never encountered better shopping ANYWHERE, if you have the energy and are determined century 21 has some really good stuff, also if you love MAC make-up buy it in NY it is WAY cheaper then in OZ.

[*] Times Square

[*] Head out of the Manhattan into Soho and Grenwich village loved both places

[*] Drink loads of iced tea - the Iced tea spritzers in starbucks are TDF, also had the most fantastic peppermint iced tea in Grenwich in a dingy little hippy cafe it was awesome.

[*] Catch a broadway show you can get discount tickets

here you just buy them on the day

Walk heaps - I seriously think this was the best way to see NY and what FI and I did lots of you miss so much taking the subway (we did this too when we needed to get somewhere quick) or a cab - the city is awesome.

Yes, ditto Tiffanys and shopping!
9.gif

And also wander around the Village and East Village. There are some great little restaurants there. And if you get the chance, go for lunch at the Museum of Modern Art''s restaurant, The Modern - the desserts are to die for!
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
We went last year and took an excellent tour with "Luke" with realnewyorktours.com. Absolutely excellent. He does the tours when he''s not doing Broadway and his new wife is a Rockett.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi softly softly :)

i''m an australian living in NY and we love it here.

i think most of the good recommendations have been made, but let me reiterate....

i''d definitely do one of the circleline cruises - if you''re coming in may, time on the water at that time of year is beautiful. it also goes right around the statue of liberty - best view ever! you can buy tickets at the wharf on the day, but you *may* miss out. or you can book in advance. if you do that, you have to book 48+ hours in advance.

definitely go up the empire state building - best view in town.

make sure you go to battery park; not as spectacular as central park, but still lovely and, frankly, my favorite park in NYC.

do the red buss tours; they''re incredibly informative and very enjoyable - not at all boring. there''s an uptown and a downtown tour. do both. it''s the best way to hit all the places of interest. you''ll definitely miss something otherwise.

go to the jewish memorial museum - it''s fascinating and very moving.

have afternoon tea at the four seasons and go to their spa for a facial. you''ll never want to leave!

avoid times square - it''s a rat hole.

go for a walk around chelsea (on the west side, north of 14th street, south of 30th street, and west of 6th avenue. ask a cab driver to drop you at Chelsea Park, on the corner of 9th avenue and 28th street, then just go for a walk). the restaurants are wonderful, and there''s a lot of tree lined streets with out door cafes. yum!

personally, i wouldnt stay in the waldorf - it''s more name than service. if you have the money, i''d stay at the four seasons; very nice. the ''peninsula hotel'' is fabulous also, as is ''the mark''. but my personal favourite is the ''library hotel''. it''s within a 3 minute walk of grand central station, it has a lovely small restaurant, a wonderful breakfast bar, a great cocktail bar, and it''s a fun, fun, fun hotel! it''s also across the road from the new york library, and if you hang around out there you''ll feel like you''ve just stepped out of the set from Ghostbusters! much smaller than something like the waldorf, it has WAY more charm. the hotel is over 9 floors, and the rooms are named after subjects in the dewey decimal system! i''ve stayed on the 9th floor which has rooms like the philosophy room, the love room, and the paranormal room - all subjects in the 900''s in the dewey decimal library catalogue system. the rooms all have related books in them and the whole place is just chic and fun. if you want old style new york, try the carlyle hotel, or if you want water views, try the new ritz carlton which overlooks the water at battery park. but my choices would be either the four seasons or the library, and i''d go with the library for both position and ambience. its on madison avenue at 41st street (grand central station is on 42nd street - so very close) this hotel isnt part of a chain - it''s all new york :) i did a price comparison and it comes in about the same as the waldorf -maybe a tad cheaper, depending on what rooms you want. anyway, it''s my favorite, and if you read reviews from people who''ve stayed, you''ll get the idea. my husband does an annual conference at the waldorf, and he stays there while it''s on as there are a lot of dinner and breakfast meetings. neither he nor i have ever been wildly impressed. go there for afternoon tea some time, and consider yourself ''done''.

try some of the great delis! dean and de luca''s is wonderful, and zabar''s is famous in NY for it''s bakery goods. there''s nothing more new york than coffee and bagels at zabar''s!

and spend at least 2 days out of the city. catch a train to rye (the town next to where i live) and have a look at upmarket NY suburbia; it''s beautiful and the shops are exclusive and the food fabulous! ditto greenwich. these are both on the new haven line. gorgeous!

if you want any more suggestions, let me know and i''ll keep on going :)

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the info, it''s all very helpful.
1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 8:53:06 PM
Author: softly softly
Thanks for all the info, it''s all very helpful.
1.gif

Hi...I live in Manhattan. You will be visiting during my favorite time of year in the city...SPRING!!! (ok I love Christimas in NY too). Everything that was suggested is great. As for Hotels...if you want to face Central Park there is the ESSEX HOUSE...this has special place in my heart (since I spent my wedding night in a suite here 13yr ago) and it''s been a NYC hotel for ages.

Shopping down lower 5th avenue (btwn 14st and 23rd st) is great..that entire area is shopping. Upper 5th ave is great too..bring your best walking shoes. The city doesn''t sleep. For great restaurants...head to the East Village...the vibe is amazing, the outdoor cafe''s FABULOUS...it''s just booming with life. LOVE IT. FOr the best pastry..head to VINIERO''s on 11st btwn 1st and 2nd Avenues. BEST CANNOLI''S IN TOWN. See a Broadway show (many shows have RUSH seating which are seats sold the day of a few hours before the show at a STEEPLY discounted rate...like $30)

Take a Carriage Ride through Central Park (some ppl hate this but I still love it)...visit the boathouse for lunch at Central park...go row boating..just enjoy the amazing things central park has to offer.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the Waldorf! Don''t worry about the dress code - jeans, tees and sneakers are just fine. Also, The Bull & Bear (in the Waldorf) is one of favorite restaurants in NY.

For snacking - you have to try Garrett''s Popcorn (warning - it is like CRACK!). The address is 242 W 34th St. - 1 Penn Plaza (on 34th between 7th & 8th). You can walk easily from the Waldorf. The website is http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results