shape
carat
color
clarity

New wedding ring help

Missheidi

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Previously a lurker, first time poster. I recently got an upgraded engagement ring - 1.5 ct RB, classic tiffany-style 6 prong setting in platinum. Thanks to all the advice on PS, I prioritized cut over almost everything else, found a nice diamond and knew what to ask for. I love it. :love:

The problem is my existing wedding ring - it's a 5 stone ring with 10 pointers in platinum. It sits incredibly high on my finger (a little over 4 mm) and looks terrible with the new engagement ring (and it rubs). :(( I took my existing ring to a local jeweler to see if it could be altered, and they quoted me about $500 to remove the existing gallery under the stones and set it lower. The jeweler, however, didn't sound very confident that it would sit low enough so I don't feel great about going that route and that seems pricey for how the work was described.

I'm open to finding a new ring, but since we just dropped a lot of money on the new engagement ring, I need to be very cost conscious. Do any of the PS recommended vendors buy existing jewelry and give a decent amount of credit? I'm thinking of getting a low profile, pave set half-eternity style band as a replacement, but I'm unsure of what size stones to go with. 2 pointers? 3?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missheidi|1468956050|4057267 said:
Hi all,

Previously a lurker, first time poster. I recently got an upgraded engagement ring - 1.5 ct RB, classic tiffany-style 6 prong setting in platinum. Thanks to all the advice on PS, I prioritized cut over almost everything else, found a nice diamond and knew what to ask for. I love it. :love:

The problem is my existing wedding ring - it's a 5 stone ring with 10 pointers in platinum. It sits incredibly high on my finger (a little over 4 mm) and looks terrible with the new engagement ring (and it rubs). :(( I took my existing ring to a local jeweler to see if it could be altered, and they quoted me about $500 to remove the existing gallery under the stones and set it lower. The jeweler, however, didn't sound very confident that it would sit low enough so I don't feel great about going that route and that seems pricey for how the work was described.

I'm open to finding a new ring, but since we just dropped a lot of money on the new engagement ring, I need to be very cost conscious. Do any of the PS recommended vendors buy existing jewelry and give a decent amount of credit? I'm thinking of getting a low profile, pave set half-eternity style band as a replacement, but I'm unsure of what size stones to go with. 2 pointers? 3?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

I'd highly recommend IDJ! They have very reasonable prices and can definitely help you. Ask for Yekutiel and tell him you want PS quality, excellently cut stones.

It would also help to see a picture of your new ring and your wedding band together! :wavey:

Missheidi

Rough_Rock
I will contact IDJ, thank you for that suggestion. Here's a top and side view of the pair together. Apologies for the picture quality, I'm still learning :) img_4166__1_.jpg img_4167.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings! I do see what you mean and it looks like a spacer wouldn't really help unless it's a fairly thick one.

This thread shows a couple of options...one is a 1ct solitaire with a .50ctw 7 stone, which would be approx. 7 pointers:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-vatche-u-113-and-wedding-rings.206633/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-vatche-u-113-and-wedding-rings.206633/[/URL]

This one shows a 2ct solitaire with a 3 pointer milgrain eternity: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-01ct-rb-reset-into-vatche-u-113-thanks-to-idj.214093/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-01ct-rb-reset-into-vatche-u-113-thanks-to-idj.214093/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results