shape
carat
color
clarity

New to this...Looking for a 1.7 Karat Cushion, G color, SI1

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to keep this to no more than $7000 for the stone...is this doable with the above specs for a GIA stone? Also, are those specs good for a quality diamond in a solitaire setting?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Re: New to this...Looking for a 1.7 Karat Cushion, G color,

I highly doubt you'll get a stone that large, in that color with that budget. Not realistic.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, it is unlikely - I did a quick search on James Allen - selecting cushions in the 1.65-1.75 carat weight range in G-J color (any clarity), and only the J-color diamonds came in under your $7K budget - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...eTo=999000&Sort=Price asc ,DefaultOrder&ps=15 - and even reducing the carat weight to 1.45ct, only one diamond (1.51ct G-SI2) comes in under your budget (and appears a poor candidate).

I think you will either have to save more money, reduce your carat weight expectation, or go up to J/K color...

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

It's apparent that to get to a 1.7 karat diamond, I will have to move into a H or I color...is there a noticeable dropoff in color when moving from a G to H/I?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
adkhkr1 said:
It's apparent that to get to a 1.7 karat diamond, I will have to move into a H or I color...is there a noticeable dropoff in color when moving from a G to H/I?

G to h, probably not, for me at least.. G to i maybe. F to i for sure.

Oh snap, SORRY!!! I thought you were looking for MRB, not cushions. My bad. But yes I agree with what Mary said. You're gonna have to change your expectations. MRB at that weight is double your budget, at least- I read incorrectly. :)

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock

A well cut 1.7 carat cushion at that budget is probably not realistic. You're going to come across a bunch of duds unless you're willing to compromise on the size or color.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why 1.7? Is a very specific CTW seems like.

I'd look for 1.45+. Still huge but you're not compromising on all the other C's

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No. Not reasonable to get that spec combo on that budget. You are looking about 10-11k reasonably. And you can't limit carat weight like that. Cushions are not rounds.

Here are a couple: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6514941-1.71-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx and http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4500524-1.75-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx But neither is a good one (performance under table is hugely lacking). But as you can see even a deficient one is 10k.

If you can get to 8.5-9k then either of these would be good buys, they have great performance and are lovely stones:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6275676-1.72-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5096974-1.70-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

But for 7k. You are looking at 1.5 carats max in a well cut stone.

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

How do you know that the performance under the table is lacking...not sure what that even means. Thanks for the help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adkhkr1|1417655914|3794826 said:
How do you know that the performance under the table is lacking...not sure what that even means. Thanks for the help.

Please read these two threads thoroughly. Follow the links posted and study the information there. Okay?

Read all the posts in this thread, and follow the links I post:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/[/URL]

Then all the posts in this one:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672[/URL]

That should answer your questions. :wavey:

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

Gypsy...what do you think of this initially...GIA cert is coming tomorrow...I will pospost when I get it. It's from USA Certed Diamonds.

Cushion 1.71 I SI1 GIA 68.4 Depth 63.0 Table Excellent Very Good 6.85x6.67x4.56 1.03

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adkhkr1|1417660938|3794871 said:
Gypsy...what do you think of this initially...GIA cert is coming tomorrow...I will pospost when I get it. It's from USA Certed Diamonds.

Cushion 1.71 I SI1 GIA 68.4 Depth 63.0 Table Excellent Very Good 6.85x6.67x4.56 1.03

I think you didn't read any of the threads I posted for you, if you are asking me that question. :rolleyes:

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

I just started reading but that got emailed to me...sorry... :wall:

Thanks Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adkhkr1|1417661344|3794876 said:

Thanks Gypsy!

:wavey: Go back to :read: Studying. (Short answer is the lab report doesn't tell you much at all you have to have pics and an ASET of the stones). But if you do post the lab report, at least I'll be able to tell what the faceting pattern is.

Let me put into perspective for you.

Imagine you are car shopping. Not diamond shopping. It's a cushion. That's like telling me that it's a sedan.

The numbers you just posted? What they told me is that the car has 4 wheels and the length and width of body.

Telling me color and clarity is like telling me color and type of finish of the paint. So... pearlescent red paint.

Would you buy a car with just that information? And without even a picture to know if you LIKE the body of the car or not? Cause all we have right now are a sedan, in red, with a certain length and width. So.... is that enough?

No. You need to know more. Like what's going on under the hood. How is the performance. How many horses? How does it turn? Torque.

For that type of information I need (preferrably) a GOOD close up image. An ASET. And if at all possible a video (I can do without that, but James Allen for example offers videos of all their stones).

I understand this is new. But you still have to do your research and understand what you are buying. Just because it's diamonds and not cars doesn't mean you throw all sense out the window.
And READ THE THREADS I POSTED FOR YOU.

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

I'm reading...I'm trying to stick to 1.7 because it has meaning to us...if you see anything worth me looking at, please post :pray: if I have to go up in price spent I will to a degree.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adkhkr1|1417663533|3794897 said:
I'm reading...I'm trying to stick to 1.7 because it has meaning to us...if you see anything worth me looking at, please post :pray: if I have to go up in price spent I will to a degree.
What is your absolute budget then?

Also, if the CTW high specific meaning, can it be TOTAL ctw or the stone has to be 1.7?

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

I am going for a solitaire, so I want the cushion to be 1.7 to 1.79. I would hope to go no more than 8k. A little more if I could get something worth it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adkhkr1|1417664031|3794903 said:
I am going for a solitaire, so I want the cushion to be 1.7 to 1.79. I would hope to go no more than 8k. A little more if I could get something worth it.
do you need this ring on a particularly short timeframe?
As what your looking for will be hard to find, if it exists. and will probably be closer to the J-K range in color.... making me think you will probably need to go the antique cushion style cut route vs the more modern cushion brilliant. limiting yourself to such strict ctw will be difficult as well.

she wouldn't by any chance want a princess would she? I found a princess lol

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Please if you find for 8k sell to me and I will sell to diamond trade for more lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you sure you can't do a nice three stone for 1.7 ctw? A nice 1.4 cushion and 2 pears for 15 points each?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1417674862|3794989 said:
Are you sure you can't do a nice three stone for 1.7 ctw? A nice 1.4 cushion and 2 pears for 15 points each?
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Or half moons or baguettes might keep it looking like a solitaire too

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

I went and looked at this diamond...how is this? I have to find the cert and I will post it? It is a 1.70.

20141205_132243-1.jpg

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

Another pic from the side...how does this look?

20141205_132111-1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adkhkr1|1417830142|3796177 said:
I went and looked at this diamond...how is this? I have to find the cert and I will post it? It is a 1.70.

It's got potential, but could be leaky under the table. Any chance of an ASET?

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

Here is the EGL report, I can't get a ASET report

20141205_225546.jpg

adkhkr1

Rough_Rock

Gypsy...so what do you think based on the specs?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its probably not an F Vs1 if graded by a more reputable lab.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think EGL was banned from Rapnet because their diamond grading is so bad (huge deal). And that jewelers that have sold EGL diamonds are being sued for fraud because EGL's grading is so bad and their diamonds are no where near what they thought they were getting.
I KNOW that the best stones are NOT sent to EGL.

And I KNOW that reputable jewelers won't TOUCH EGL.

That diamond is probably an I Si1. If you are lucky.

So what do I think?

Run away.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1417662155|3794885 said:
adkhkr1|1417661344|3794876 said:

Thanks Gypsy!

:wavey: Go back to :read: Studying. (Short answer is the lab report doesn't tell you much at all you have to have pics and an ASET of the stones). But if you do post the lab report, at least I'll be able to tell what the faceting pattern is.

Let me put into perspective for you.

Imagine you are car shopping. Not diamond shopping. It's a cushion. That's like telling me that it's a sedan.

The numbers you just posted? What they told me is that the car has 4 wheels and the length and width of body.

Telling me color and clarity is like telling me color and type of finish of the paint. So... pearlescent red paint.

Would you buy a car with just that information? And without even a picture to know if you LIKE the body of the car or not? Cause all we have right now are a sedan, in red, with a certain length and width. So.... is that enough?

No. You need to know more. Like what's going on under the hood. How is the performance. How many horses? How does it turn? Torque.

For that type of information I need (preferrably) a GOOD close up image. An ASET. And if at all possible a video (I can do without that, but James Allen for example offers videos of all their stones).

I understand this is new. But you still have to do your research and understand what you are buying. Just because it's diamonds and not cars doesn't mean you throw all sense out the window.
And READ THE THREADS I POSTED FOR YOU.

Best. analogy. ever. My husband will read this, lol! Sorry to threadjack, but I just couldn't help it. Gypsy, I can usually resist jumping in to sound like your cheerleader but this one got me so let me take the opportunity to say I always enjoy your posts. They are so helpful in threads like this and in other, more philosophical threads, your analysis is so well rationed and thoughtful. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

=) We aim to educate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results