shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the game here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

long distance

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I have been doing research for a few days and have learned a tremendous amount
already ( though it feels as you''ll never know enough).
I reunited with my beautiful girlfriend after eight years. And this time around I''m buying an engagement ring(she didn''t believe in them 10 years ago). Since we are on opposite coasts there is other financial burdens. I plan on moving back east in the spring.
So there is a budget of 3 to 4000 dollars. I wish to propose in Italy in Jan or Feb. So I have time to process all this new info.
My gf has size 4.5 finger
she doesn''t like solitaire. thought she loved three stone. I went to Shane Co. and found something that I liked there,(a friend used to work there and brought me in.) Comfortably in my budget and would upgrade center diamond. Then I found this site and saw some unpleasant reviews. I wish the best bang for my buck and on this journey.
She does not want a big rock (finger small), but likes a weight to band.
Walked into Tiffany
6.gif
and she loved the Etoile. but i''m scared of alternatives from other companies with a smaller diamond in a half bezel setting.
The other she loved was the Lucida. Saw the W prong from whiteflash that i love.
I want (gf wants
1.gif
round brilliant. looking at .55 - .75 carat.
i understand cut is the most important, where should I cut corners.
I''m thinking sparkle! for my low maintenance girl.
Thanks for all the info

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful story LD, congratulations! I''m not knowledgeable on settings but you will certainly have some that are chiming in soon.

I wanted mine to be a great performer as well. Cut was absolutely vital to me. I went with an H color and it looks great. That''s one good place to stretch the bang for your buck. I also went with an SI1. Some are worse than others but on many SI1''s, the inclusion can''t be seen with the eye and most aren''t likely to affect performance in a measurable way.

3 - 4K US is your total budget?

Treefrog

long distance

Rough_Rock
Thanks Treefrog,

The budget fluctuates 500 to 1000 dollars.
I''m looking at diamonds from 2300 to 3500.
or 4000. The more i look the more I want.
At first I was looking at .5 d e diamonds. Now I know a little more
and realize somewhat what really matters.
I feel a .6 carat will look ok on her hand. but wouldn''t mind going a lil bigger.
so I guess my budget tops at 5000 US. and that''s a bit stressed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 1:42:09 AM
Author: long distance
Thanks Treefrog,

The budget fluctuates 500 to 1000 dollars.
I'm looking at diamonds from 2300 to 3500.
or 4000. The more i look the more I want.
At first I was looking at .5 d e diamonds. Now I know a little more
and realize somewhat what really matters.
I feel a .6 carat will look ok on her hand. but wouldn't mind going a lil bigger.
so I guess my budget tops at 5000 US. and that's a bit stressed.
Treefrog got you off to a great start, welcome!

As TF says it is cut which is critical for beauty, then colour, clarity and size fits in according to your budget and preferences. .60 is a nice size and should look lovely, where do you prefer to buy from - get the whole thing from Tiffany according to budget or buy online with our assistance? You mention Whiteflash, they have a solid rep here. Let us know if you would like us to hunt for some diamonds for you!

Oh by the way, stick to AGS or GIA graded diamonds in the first instance ( not per the above).
20.gif

I am not great on settings either as diamonds is my area, but we do have some PSers that a superb with them who should be along presently - between us we can help!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Many companies make excellent versions of the Etoile setting. If you are considering the Etoile style, Whiteflash has a lovely version of it, as well as another half-bezel setting called the keystone. Here are the links:
Keystone
Etoile style

Personally, I think the Keystone setting would be nicer with a stone in the .60 range, as the Whiteflash Etoile style is 6 mm wide and may be a little wide for the proportions of the diamond size you're considering. I was considering a .59 stone from Whiteflash awhile back and the rep I talked to said that the size would work well in the keystone.

There may be some vendors who are able to make an Etoile style ring and vary the width of the band to correspond to the mm of the stone (width). Other PS'ers may have some info on other makers of Etoile style rings.

Brian Gavin has a good reputation for custom work on this forum, so you may want to contact them, too, about a setting (and diamond, too). brian gavin's site

Internally Flawless

Rough_Rock
GIA grades there diamonds strict although I look at loose diamonds all day. I have GIA SI1 clarity stones with black on the table and SI2 EGL that looks like VS2 in GIA. You are buying a diamond not the paper cert it comes with. EGL can be two color grades off, but you can get a D color EGL that is actually an E color GIA for the same price as G color GIA. My clients pick the D if they are side by side. Don't get rapped up in the AGS and GIA certs they are way more expensive and you can get a bigger diamond for the money that is high color and clarity. Get a Rapaport price list and do the math my man.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

long distance

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sara,
It''s funny you should mention Keystone. Gf sent me a reply email with that setting.
I just need to talk to them about How big the diamond needs to be in a half bezel setting.
I''m scared the diamond would get lost. Although the Etoile we saw was .61 carat.
Tiffany is not an option nor is it her wish, just a place to look at while she was visiting me in San Francisco. Thanks for all the help.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Glad I could help out. I believe Tiffany tailors the Etoile band to the dimensions of the specific diamond, so that a smaller diamond will have a band that is in scale with the diamond. That's the trouble with ordering the setting from vendors who have a version of the Etoile but do not customize the band to the diamond width. So your concerns about a non-Tiffany Etoile band (the band will overwhelm the diamond) are valid. I do believe the Keystone is only 3mm wide and so it should not overwhelm a smaller stone, but check with WF, they may be able to send you a picture of the Keystone set with a .60 or similar size stone.

Have you done a search on PS for "Keystone" or "Tiffany Etoile bezel" or "bezel"? You may be able to find some pictures of rings with different carat weight stones.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. I think the size you are looking at for your diamond will work great. I have an AGS0 .53 from Shane Co and love it. I like the convenience of having a nearby store where I can take it for cleaning and checking plus their upgrade policy is awesome. I agree that you can get a better price online and there are many great vendors here and you''ll get a lot of help from these wondeful people.

long distance

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
Went to see a jeweler who was referred to me by a friend in San Francisco.
GIA excellent cut
.74 carat E VS2
table 56% crown 34.5 degree
41.2 pavilion angle
43.5 % pavilion depth
girdle med sl thick
It was nice to see some diamonds in person
3000 was his deal from me. I''m in no rush but it was great looking
The setting he would do custom was cheaper than I''ve seen around here.
thanks for all your help

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 11:51:23 PM
Author: long distance
Hello all,
Went to see a jeweler who was referred to me by a friend in San Francisco.
GIA excellent cut
.74 carat E VS2
table 56% crown 34.5 degree
41.2 pavilion angle
43.5 % pavilion depth
girdle med sl thick
It was nice to see some diamonds in person
3000 was his deal from me. I''m in no rush but it was great looking
The setting he would do custom was cheaper than I''ve seen around here.
thanks for all your help
The diamond might be ok but check very carefully to see if you notice a dark ring around the table or dark patches on the surface, this is known as light leakage if the angle combo doesn''t work in great harmony, but keep looking - the more you see the better it is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results