shape
carat
color
clarity

new to site and c stones - Need help with engagement ring

johnfish

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new to the site and to buying jewelry in general. This site is wonderful but the more research I do the more confused I get.

I have purchased the odd piece of jewelry from Kohls or other B and M stores. But after having been single for the last 15 years I am ready to take the plunge again and have no real idea where to begin.

My wonderful soon to be Mrs Johnfish is really interested in a sapphire. I have been doing a lot of online research and even found a pretty stone at the natural sapphire company. But after reading some of the bad reviews on line and even on this site I am hesitant to go through them.

My question is how risky is it trying to buy gem stones over the internet? Will L be able to get a better stone for less money than going to the traditional B and M jeweler? And if so how do i go about finding a reputible dealer?

I am looking for either a solitaire or three stone ring (with either small diamonds or white sapphires on the side) with a sapphire between .75 and 1 carat within a budget of 1500 to 2000 dollars. Is that too low for the budget?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John

T

talamasca

Re: new to site and c stones - Need help with engagement rin

Hi, do you have a particular colour and shape in mind?

johnfish

Rough_Rock

round sapphire and round side stones. very simple setting no weaves or other accents.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

welcome, johnfish, to the wonderful and confusing world of color! congrats on your pending engagement and your GF for having the wisdom to go with a color stone! [i'm obviously prejudiced!]

sapphires are extremely popular right now [think latest royal engagement/wedding].
most B&M stores do not know any more than you do re color stones.
online vendors that are trusted participate here and appear on a list developed and posted in this area of pricescope.
do a search on pricescope and you'll find lots of recent buyers looking to get a sapphire.
much will depend on if your GF is wanting the very popular blue or is willing to go with a lighter color stone.
much will depend on your budget.....knowing your budget actually helps us to help you.
eta: opps, i see on 2nd reading you listed a budget: is that for the center stone only?
imo, before the sapphire people here can help you, it would be helpful to have answers to the last two sentences.

you've come to the right place for help.

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the welcome movie zombie! The budget is for the entire ring stones and all. The stone I was looking at was .75 carat and was 750 at NSC.

My GF is really taken with the darker blue stones. I will try to post a pic of the one we were looking at on NSC.

John

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Here are pictures of the stone and the settings I was considering. stone_0.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Have you tried simplysapphires.com I feel the prices are better than NSC.

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the link innerkitten. I will check them out!

John

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Welcome!

I find a better choice and more knowledgeable vendors online than in any B&M store - there is a list at the top of the page of vendor that people have worked with here.

Your budget seems reasonable for what you are looking for although I would suggest looking at heated stones. I would also use diamonds on the sides as white sapphires will not have the fire that diamonds have and they often look like diamonds that are dirty IMO.

I would also consider using a stock setting as that will keep the costs down significantly. Don't try to source the side stones yourself, the vendor you use for setting will be able to source them more easily than you. Many of the PS vendors will offer a complete service and can produce a finished product - many also understand how picky we can be here which is a big plus IMO.

It's always worth emailing a few vendors if you like the kind of thing they stock to see what they have in the safe that isn't yet up online. Most of the stones I've bought via the internet have never been listed.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock

OP, after you get your sapphire, try doing a search on ID jewelry in the Rocky Talky forum. A lot of people have purchased stock rings from them and are very happy with the quality. (I myself have never done business with them.) A lot of vendors carry the setting you like so you shouldn't have a problem finding one in your budget.

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Thank you sapphirering and pandora. My GF and i are going to start looking at stones togehter then i will surprise here with the finished ring.

John

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

personally, i think on your budget it would be good to look at heated stones and do a solitaire rather than having side stones. remember: the center stone is the "star" of the show. getting the best you can afford in a simple setting would be my choice.....but your GF may have other ideas. its good you're going to be looking together.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am with MZ on this; put the bulk of your budget towards the center blue sapphire and less on the setting, UNLESS she likes 3 stone rings, then forget my advice. :lol: A heated stone will allow you to get what you want within budget. If you can get a stock setting, this will also help you stay within budget.

Most of us here on PS have purchased our gems online. Of course, we don't just buy from anyone. There is a sticky link towards the top of the page where most PSers have dealt with and found these vendors to be very honest and offer good customer service. For the most part, you will definitely get a better stone for less money compared to the traditional B&M stores.

simismith

Rough_Rock

Johnfish : There are multiple issues buying a color stone on net. The most important of them all is “doctored images” many unscrupulous buyers change color , tone and do all sorts of artistry on the stone. You may not get what you buy. Of course you may return the stone under return policy; provided you have lot of time in hand to buy return and adhere to vendor’s timelines.
I would suggest you to check out an image analyser tool on www.naturalsapphirecompany.net to analyse an image. Try images from wildfishgems on the tool you will find them 100% unaltered. The Natural Sapphire Company images are 100% altered .
The better option is using good old way of walking into the store front and buying what you want. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish it is that easy to just walk through the store front and buy what I want.
1. The selection of stones in B&M stores are extremely limited.
2. The salespeople usually have little idea about the stones they sell. They do not know about various treatments, how to judge cut quality, colour grading and etc.
3. The limited selection is almost always made up of unattractive stones (windowed, too dark or something similar). On the off chance that one finds a good sapphire, it is very expensive compared to its online kin.

This is why most PS posters started the Recommended Vendor sticky thread on the front page. Many posters have bought from them and found them to be honest, offer good customer service and found the stones to be exactly as advertised. Yes, buying online can be a dangerous and tricky place but if you stick to the list, you will eliminate almost all the risk.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1334920333|3176009 said:
I wish it is that easy to just walk through the store front and buy what I want.
1. The selection of stones in B&M stores are extremely limited.
2. The salespeople usually have little idea about the stones they sell. They do not know about various treatments, how to judge cut quality, colour grading and etc.
3. The limited selection is almost always made up of unattractive stones (windowed, too dark or something similar). On the off chance that one finds a good sapphire, it is very expensive compared to its online kin.

This is why most PS posters started the Recommended Vendor sticky thread on the front page. Many posters have bought from them and found them to be honest, offer good customer service and found the stones to be exactly as advertised. Yes, buying online can be a dangerous and tricky place but if you stick to the list, you will eliminate almost all the risk.

well stated. i find buying at a B&M impossible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

simismith|1334908451|3175963 said:
Johnfish : There are multiple issues buying a color stone on net. The most important of them all is “doctored images” many unscrupulous buyers change color , tone and do all sorts of artistry on the stone. You may not get what you buy. Of course you may return the stone under return policy; provided you have lot of time in hand to buy return and adhere to vendor’s timelines.
I would suggest you to check out an image analyser tool on www.naturalsapphirecompany.net to analyse an image. Try images from wildfishgems on the tool you will find them 100% unaltered. The Natural Sapphire Company images are 100% altered .
The better option is using good old way of walking into the store front and buying what you want. :)

I also don't like images that are taken in the most perfect lighting settings either. For me, I would appreciate a photo of a stone on the hand in fluorescent, natural and incandescent lighting.

Also, when one does see a stone in person, it is helpful to take it outside in natural light to see how it performs. Jewelry stores often have optimal lighting for gemstone viewing.

Can you please recommend an image analyzer tool that one can use to view a photo? I admit, I have never used one myself, but others have with some success.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

You can also check out American Set (ebay store) for settings. Many people here, myself included, have been happy with their settings. They range from simple Tiffany style solitaires for about $150 to much more expensive, but they have a lot of options, and many price ranges. Here is one with sidestones for $605 and you may be able to make an offer for slightly less: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-WHITE-GOLD-TRELLIS-DIAMOND-RING-SETTING-ENGAGEMENT-/251035985990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72e92846 I personally have this setting plain, without the sidestones, the link for the ring is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-red-wildfish-spinel-american-set-setting.173464/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-red-wildfish-spinel-american-set-setting.173464/[/URL] That setting (without ss, just plain trellis) ran me under $300 ($280 plus $60 for setting at Jared's because I did not want to send the stone). If you do a search for American Set you will find another link or two with examples of the settings, here is one (I believe this young man paid close to 1K for the entire ring but several years ago; nevertheless you may be able to maximize your budget in a similar manner): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-from-american-set-co-diamond-from-amazon-com-very-happy.114123/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-from-american-set-co-diamond-from-amazon-com-very-happy.114123/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results