shape
carat
color
clarity

New to LGD. question on stone?

Tippytoes

Rough_Rock
Trade

This is a round stone, but I am also looking into a radiant or cushion cut, but I'm not sure on what kind of specs to look for. I'm looking to spend around $3000 on the stone. Thanks.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
So much of what to look for comes down to personal preference!

For both those shapes, first I'd want to know if you have a preference for a more square or enlongated look? d

Enlongated radiant: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/9...9181c-6679-425f-abd5-a74af6728e92&postalCode=

More square radiant: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/8...9181c-6679-425f-abd5-a74af6728e92&postalCode=

Square cushion: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/9...5457c-3077-42a2-a09f-8f3e48c5102d&postalCode=

Enlongated cushion: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/8...5457c-3077-42a2-a09f-8f3e48c5102d&postalCode=

Tippytoes

Rough_Rock
Trade
So much of what to look for comes down to personal preference!

For both those shapes, first I'd want to know if you have a preference for a more square or enlongated look? d

Enlongated radiant: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/9...9181c-6679-425f-abd5-a74af6728e92&postalCode=

More square radiant: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/8...9181c-6679-425f-abd5-a74af6728e92&postalCode=

Square cushion: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/9...5457c-3077-42a2-a09f-8f3e48c5102d&postalCode=

Enlongated cushion: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/8...5457c-3077-42a2-a09f-8f3e48c5102d&postalCode=

Tippytoes

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can you tell me if this is a good choice?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell me if this is a good choice?

The pavilion angle may be a little too steep and not complementary to the crown angle on this one.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Best (and safest) bet is to stick with a super ideal cut.

The dimensions will fall into the following ranges:

Overall depth: 59.5-62.0%
Table width: 53-58%
Crown Angle: 34.0-35.0°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6-40.9°
Star Facet Percentage: 48-55%
Lower Half Percentage: 76-80%
Girdle: Thin, Medium, or Slightly Thick
Polish: Excellent/Ideal
Symmetry: Excellent/Ideal

Here's a handy chart that the creator of the HCA made to help you target a diamond with good and complementing table width, crown angle, and pavilion angle combinations:

PA and CA range chart.jpg

Start with looking at VS2 clarity and F or E color which are still colorless like D, but a potential for massive savings or getting a bigger and better diamond for the same price of a D.
SI1 would be fine for weights below 2 maybe even 2.5 carat, as long as they are eye clean.
Avoid clouds and twinning wisps as inclusions (there are some others to outright avoid as well, but these two are usually encountered more). If they are present in the VS or better clarity grades, then they are likely insignificant enough to not inhibit transparency and light performance, but perform due diligence. In the SI or worse grades, it is very possible that they would/could be a predominant defect (if present and stated on the certificate) and moderately to severely impact light performance.

HPHT and CVD are the two methods to grow lab diamonds.
In a nutshell:
High Pressure High Temperature (my personal preference) mimics the conditions that form diamonds in the Earth.
CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) grows a diamond tiny layer by tiny layer until the rough is adequately sized for the intended final cut and polished product(s). Many CVD diamonds are post-growth treated, and sometimes that treatment is (ironically) HPHT.

Both methods have their own unique advantages, disadvantages, nuances, and characteristics...much like a natural diamond depending on which specific mine it comes out of.

$3000-3200 will land you around a 1.45 F VS2 or around a 1.6 F SI1 and look just as colorless as an E or D no matter the material and style of the setting.

Tippytoes

Rough_Rock
Trade
Best (and safest) bet is to stick with a super ideal cut.

The dimensions will fall into the following ranges:

Overall depth: 59.5-62.0%
Table width: 53-58%
Crown Angle: 34.0-35.0°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6-40.9°
Star Facet Percentage: 48-55%
Lower Half Percentage: 76-80%
Girdle: Thin, Medium, or Slightly Thick
Polish: Excellent/Ideal
Symmetry: Excellent/Ideal

Here's a handy chart that the creator of the HCA made to help you target a diamond with good and complementing table width, crown angle, and pavilion angle combinations:

PA and CA range chart.jpg

Start with looking at VS2 clarity and F or E color which are still colorless like D, but a potential for massive savings or getting a bigger and better diamond for the same price of a D.
SI1 would be fine for weights below 2 maybe even 2.5 carat, as long as they are eye clean.
Avoid clouds and twinning wisps as inclusions (there are some others to outright avoid as well, but these two are usually encountered more). If they are present in the VS or better clarity grades, then they are likely insignificant enough to not inhibit transparency and light performance, but perform due diligence. In the SI or worse grades, it is very possible that they would/could be a predominant defect (if present and stated on the certificate) and moderately to severely impact light performance.

HPHT and CVD are the two methods to grow lab diamonds.
In a nutshell:
High Pressure High Temperature (my personal preference) mimics the conditions that form diamonds in the Earth.
CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) grows a diamond tiny layer by tiny layer until the rough is adequately sized for the intended final cut and polished product(s). Many CVD diamonds are post-growth treated, and sometimes that treatment is (ironically) HPHT.

Both methods have their own unique advantages, disadvantages, nuances, and characteristics...much like a natural diamond depending on which specific mine it comes out of.

$3000-3200 will land you around a 1.45 F VS2 or around a 1.6 F SI1 and look just as colorless as an E or D no matter the material and style of the setting.

Thanks so much for this information. It was very helpful. Here is another one:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
To widen your search I would recommend using another search beyond just James Allen, unless you are committed to purchasing from them. You will have a wider range of stones to review. I used Rare Carat :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for this information. It was very helpful. Here is another one:

In my opinion, the crown and pavilion angles are a bit off the mark with that one.
A 40.5° PA is going to perform best with a 35-36° CA.
That 33.7° CA would be complemented with a PA of 40.9-41.0°.

If you want a brilliance and fire balanced option, then to make things a bit easier in your search you can stick with a PA of only 40.8° and a CA of 34.5° (give or take a couple/few 0.1° on the CA).

Check out the following SKUs at James Allen:

If any one of those strikes your interest, then contact JA immediately to put a hold on it, since it's not unheard of anonymous visitors watching/reading the PriceScope forums will camp out to wait for recommendations and scoop them up before the intended active member can.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
To widen your search I would recommend using another search beyond just James Allen, unless you are committed to purchasing from them. You will have a wider range of stones to review. I used Rare Carat :)

I second this. Never hurts to throw a bunch of options into the hat.

The real beauty of RC is that their search options are amazing under the advanced filters section!

Just to note for those that aren't aware: RC seems to have a bunch of different dealers drawing from the same shared inventory pool, so one dealer can be hundreds of dollars less than another dealer for the exact same diamond (with the same cert).

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Just to note for those that aren't aware: RC seems to have a bunch of different dealers drawing from the same shared inventory pool, so one dealer can be hundreds of dollars less than another dealer for the exact same diamond (with the same cert).

Absolutely! About three different vendors (including Ritani) had a stone I was considering in their inventory, and the prices varied a lot. Keep an eye on the lab report ID!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I second this. Never hurts to throw a bunch of options into the hat.

The real beauty of RC is that their search options are amazing under the advanced filters section!

Yes I chose a stone that was listed with several vendors and went with a lower priced option. I loved being able to get specific with my search as I wanted ideal cut specs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results