shape
carat
color
clarity

New to lab grown diamond - advice needed for round brilliant

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
Here is my own experience with Ritani. You asked specifically for feedback, so here you go.

I am at 4 e-rings through Ritani and two upgrades (I may have a problem, but that's for another thread). They set my old cut. My thoughts are this: their prices are phenomenal, and I have found the same diamond at other vendors at an significant markup. I have an account with them, and upgrade policies are in effect, so I tend to stick with them.

Being content with Ritani depends on what you want and need though. There will be no hand holding and fawning over a customer. Ritani has been great, but they are a vendor that serves trade and consumers and my impression is they are working higher turns for their bottom line. This may be inaccurate, but my impression based on their "transparency" mark-up model and my comparisons across platforms for the same stone elsewhere. I find their settings are very well built. A gemologist that appraised my first Ritani ring, my real/first e-ring, (also a custom jeweler) remarked it was very robust.

While customer service has been good at Ritani, the concierge service level achieved at other vendors is not (IMHO) available. Think of a New York deli at lunch time. You have to be your own expert to a larger degree. Keeping your eye on the HCA scores, or using the AGS charts, it will be reasonable to ferret out great stones. You can most definitely ask one of their gemologists to check your favorites. You may have to occasionally reach out and be a little more proactive. However,I am convinced I find hot bargains over there :). I have no idea if I am right. I have not asked for ASETS. I am happy with my stones.

I have noticed they have improved their customer service in the past few months. There appears to be an automated customer update email system in place that informed me my diamond was available, ring was being made, probable ship date, and also an offer to see the ring. This was new and welcome.

Anyhow, the Ritani stable (bands not Ritani). I have been very pleased. Two earth mined, two labs. Excuse my fat fingers :) As you can tell, I am a solitaire girl.

I have also used Jon at Distinctive Gems and he found the best set of earrings and was truly top notch in his assistance.

I would also go to @Rockdiamond in a heartbeat for a lab. I would check with him, he also has great handmade settings.

IMG-2966.jpg

We have the same "problem", lol! I also have 4 rings from Ritani and a 5th from another jeweler, and I agree with everything you said about Ritani. They will also price match if you find the stone at a lower price. They've price matched my last 2!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I had my band custom made to fit my engagement ring. :)

I am open to HPHT or CVD.

Tomorrow I’ll take a look at those suggested and save the contenders. :)

I should also look for setting ideas. I’m excited for that as I’ve seen some beautiful ones.

I find the setting search to be the most fun part! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Here are some CVD GCAL 8x options.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Quick question...is GCAL 8x new? I have been to one jewelry store and called another who had never heard of the 8x.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Quick question...is GCAL 8x new? I have been to one jewelry store and called another who had never heard of the 8x.

Yes, about a year old now. GCAL 8X is their pinnacle cut grade...think AGS Triple Zero, which is far and away better than the rather wide ranging GIA Triple Excellent.
I believe GCAL 8X criteria is even stricter than AGS 000 for proportions and angles ranges.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Yes, about a year old now. GCAL 8X is their pinnacle cut grade...think AGS Triple Zero, which is far and away better than the rather wide ranging GIA Triple Excellent.
I believe GCAL 8X criteria is even stricter than AGS 000 for proportions and angles ranges.

Thank you. I was on a call and asked them about 8x and they didn't know what it was and I ran thru the 8x categories and they said "how do you know what your really getting what it says".

I have a lot on my plate this summer (I'll spare the details) but I feel like GCAL would be the way to go for me as its strict and would be less headache. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I was on a call and asked them about 8x and they didn't know what it was and I ran thru the 8x categories and they said "how do you know what your really getting what it says".

I have a lot on my plate this summer (I'll spare the details) but I feel like GCAL would be the way to go for me as its strict and would be less headache. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Not at all wrong to think that way!
Their criteria is pretty stout:
Screenshot_20220524-180517.png

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Much appreciated.
I'm so thankful for all the help and information. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results