New stones

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

First: Pictures then words:

stonesinside.jpg
stonesoutside.jpg

I have just dipped my toes into the world of Colored Stones! I saw this beautiful Sapphire on Jeff Davies' site and I loved it! I was worried as I have never ordered stones, and really have no idea what I'm doing. :twirl: :loopy: But I had the funds and after staring at everyone's beautiful stones I figured it would be fun to try. :D

I forgot to save the pictures of the stones on my computer and of course I can't find them on his site :wall: I messaged him so hopefully I'll get to add those later. His pictures are MUCH better than mine!!!

The smaller purple stone is the one that started me off. In his videos it looked quite a bit lighter, but it is still so beautiful! :D I love it. I loved the facet pattern, but (of course) its challenging to see as it's only 5mm (its a .56ctw). The indoor picture seems to be the closest to what I actually see.

sapphireinside.jpg
sapphireoutside.jpg

I'm looking at setting this baby into something like one of these, but in rose gold, I prefer the first one (both are from DZ):
sapphire_setting.jpg

The larger one is a blue topaz that is photographing much darker than I see irl. To me it reminds me of a swimming pool, the above ground plastic ones (like my grandparents used to have). Again, love it! :D The outside picture seems closest to real life.
topazinside.jpg
topazoutside.jpg

I'm looking at setting this on in something like this, probably in White gold, even though I'm not a fan....not sure how rose or yellow would look...

topaz_setting.jpg
These guys are so challenging to photograph accurately!!! :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear from another satisfied JD customer.

Looking forward to see the finished rings, as both stones are lovely.

DK :))
A big JD fan :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look lovely and so it seems you've done very well. Its also appreciated for you to provide guidance on how the stones compare in real life to his photos. It is not the first time that buyers have said that his stones are darker in real life than his photos would indicate.

In any case, its good that you are doing one in rose gold and the other in white, as they will look completely different. While you can't go wrong with any of the settings (I like all the settings you've chosen), my vote is for the second setting for the sapphire...I've been in love with that simple halo and diamond band style since forever! Can't wait to see them finished and on your hand.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are Jeff's pictures :D

sapphire_16.jpg
topaz_0.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty stones! I agree they look darker than his photos indicate, but very pretty and I think you've chosen nice settings! For the smaller stone I agree that the halo would be gorgeous. MDZ is great as a vendor, so I'm sure whatever you choose will be gorgeous :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a significant difference, unfortunately :(sad He is lucky you love them enough to keep them, given the big difference in appearance.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1464750505|4038801 said:
Wow, that is a significant difference, unfortunately :(sad He is lucky you love them enough to keep them, given the big difference in appearance.

Agreed. I still think they are gorgeous in their own right, but kind of makes me hesitant to purchase from him (even though his cutting is incredible!)

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think part of the color issue is due to my poor photography too. The sapphire is darker but not enough to warrant me sending her back, she also has gray undertones that I think my phone is picking up. The only pictures I have are from my craptastic phone camera. That makes everything weirdly yellow..... The topaz glows in his pictures, but not as intently irl, but it reminds me of pool water so I'm happy. :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1464754043|4038829 said:
I think part of the color issue is due to my poor photography too. The sapphire is darker but not enough to warrant me sending her back, she also has gray undertones that I think my phone is picking up. The only pictures I have are from my craptastic phone camera. That makes everything weirdly yellow..... The topaz glows in his pictures, but not as intently irl, but it reminds me of pool water so I'm happy. :D

You being happy is 100% all that matters! I didn't mean to say anything negative about your stones--I was just thinking about my own future potential purchases, etc. And obviously I still really like both stones (especially the topaz, which I think is gorgeous!) I'm excited to see what you do with them!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I'm a Jeff Davies fan too, and think his cutting is amazing. Lovely stones, and I like the settings you've chosen. Enjoy!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say that its important that you judge stones in your own environment when you can. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. If the seller is an honest one they will try to portray the stones as best they can, but there are other factors like different browsers, different monitors, etc, that can make a stone look differently in pictures than IRL.

FWIW, they're both beautiful stones, I think they'll look great in whatever you decide to put them in (though I'm partial to rose gold with that purple stone :wink2: )

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1464793640|4038923 said:
I always say that its important that you judge stones in your own environment when you can. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. If the seller is an honest one they will try to portray the stones as best they can, but there are other factors like different browsers, different monitors, etc, that can make a stone look differently in pictures than IRL.

FWIW, they're both beautiful stones, I think they'll look great in whatever you decide to put them in (though I'm partial to rose gold with that purple stone :wink2: )

I think you are right. The environment here is different (and again crappy phone pics), I am wondering how they'll perform if they were bezzeled.... :think:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two beautiful stones, but I super super adore the purple!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1464830349|4039176 said:
Arcadian|1464793640|4038923 said:

I think you are right. The environment here is different (and again crappy phone pics), I am wondering how they'll perform if they were bezzeled.... :think:

They're both well cut, and not dark to begin with, so could take well to being bezelled.

I'm sure some people think I'm a little coo-coo's for going on about different environments, but its pretty true; whatever is happening in a small town in Massachusetts may not be happening in a small town in Florida. And a place in England isn't going to be the same as a place in California. Light placement and types, weather, etc, has an effect on how we see colors around us.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty Cozy! :appl: Hang on to your wallet- color stones are addicting.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1464876687|4039332 said:
Very pretty Cozy! :appl: Hang on to your wallet- color stones are addicting.

This is what I'm afraid of!!!! :-o :-o

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took new pictures and they are more accurate in coloring (from my eyes/monitor). :D Was able to recreate the color from Jeff :appl: I've contacted MDZ re: setting...now to search for the money tree :$$): Anyone know where to dig??? :twirl:
Original plan was Purple Sapphire and Rose gold, Topaz and Yellow gold...now I'm wondering about switching them. I may end up waiting until the sapphire goes to MDZ for their expertise. White gold just does not look good with my skin tone. ;-)

bothcartier.jpg
sapphirecartier.jpg
topazcartier.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the last pictures. I'm another that can vouch for Jeff Davies stones.... he's such an honest person.

The citrine I got from him looks nothing like it does in grey dull typical English weather, compared to in the sun... It actually glows.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, those new pics look almost like different stones! It's amazing how different CS can look in different lights! I think I might agree with your idea of switching the metal/stone combo to be blue topaz with rose god, and purple with YG. From looking at your new pics thats what I would do (although I think you can't really go wrong with any combo since both would look great in either gold color).

MDZ is super helpful, and I think they could certainly help you one way or the other once they get your stone and look at it with different metals. They've seen so many stones that they might have a better sense of what would look best, especially if you aren't 100% sure either way. I'm excited to see these rings come to life!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results