shape
carat
color
clarity

New stone on the way! Opinions?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
So I know this color isn't the most popular around here, but I couldn't stop thinking about this stone so I went ahead and ordered it. I've always enjoyed earthy tones, plus I'm dirty blonde with hazel eyes and feel like this will be a great color for me. I was also totally won over by the descriptions (nice chunky shape, fantastically brilliant, green-gold like toasted grain or "olde gold"), and the fact that gemfix was great to work with and steered me in the right direction before. I should have it in hand tomorrow or Friday and will post plenty of pictures.

I was thinking about finding an earthy type setting too, like something where the shank is made to look like twigs or something with a leaf design, but I'm sure I'd have to go custom and I don't know how I feel about custom prices for a stone that cost under $1K. If I know me, I'll just go with a stock Stuller setting again, but maybe this time in 18k yellow.

I'm pretty excited about it and feel confident I'll like the stone, but since I'm still pretty new at this I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions.

Thanks in advance! Pictures to follow...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The stone:

_7871.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Handshot:

_7872.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Possible setting:

photo-21.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pretty new at this too, but can tell you I've been eyeing up that same stone for a while now :) I can't buy anything till we get my e-ring finished, but that was one of the ones on my list. He has a couple more amber colored ones on there I love too. I think it's beautiful :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Glad I'm not alone in finding it gorgeous! I was torn between this one and the one he described as a "sparkly coke and rum" color and was told I couldn't go wrong with either. The slightly smaller amber one was calling my name too. I hope you snatch one up and share lots of pics. And happy engagement! :appl:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli|1373478357|3480340 said:
Glad I'm not alone in finding it gorgeous! I was torn between this one and the one he described as a "sparkly coke and rum" color and was told I couldn't go wrong with either.

I really like that one too, very much (and it appeals to my tendency to like darker stones that have a lot of flash). :) Hopefully it is still there when I start my garnet collection!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The cut is beautiful! It certainly looks sparkly but I'd want to see it in different lights to be sure it doesn't go too brown. It's what YOU think that matters, though. What are the dimensions? I LOVE your setting idea! Should be terrific. Looking forward to seeing your pics of it.

--- Laurie

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! It looks just like a field of ripened wheat :) what about wrapping it with green gold leaves? I don't know why but green gold and that color would look so amazing, I love the twig idea too, and there are lots of those designs on etsy.

But your simple setting would be beautiful too. I don't know if this is crazy, but what about bronze? I feel like a brownish hue for the setting would be so gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just cuz I'm lazy, can someone please tell me what is the gem type? :cheeky:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! It's a Mali garnet, and it's 8.4 x 6.7. I actually figured it would be kind of brownish though; that's sort of why I chose it. There are plenty others that are bright yellowish green without the "gold" but they didn't call my name like this one, and my second choice was pretty much straight up brown. I guess I've always liked brown. My great grandmother used to have a GIANT smokey topaz that I loved to play with, and I enjoyed the "chocolate diamonds" when they were popular. I wouldn't like it if I was aiming for a pink or red stone, but I don't know. I just had to have this one. I guess I'll see how I really feel when I pick it up tomorrow, since I probably won't be lucky enough to catch the mailman today.

Anyway, I know this is a vague question, but how much might I expect to pay for something custom from Etsy? The last two Stuller settings I bought were $250 each, and you can't beat that with a stick! Especially since the less I pay for a setting, the sooner I get a new stone.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Janish jewels does a twig ring. But for gold, I think it would be pricey. Yu could do a gold bezel and a silver band to keep costs down. Did you get gold Stuller settings for $250? Yeah, that's pretty hard to beat :loopy:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Yep, 14k white and yellow gold both for $250. I know the next one is likely to be more, especially if I go with 18k, but I still feel like it would be much cheaper than custom and I've always been perfectly satisfied with plain old Stuller stuff. I guess it's really the stones I enjoy more than the artistry of the settings, though I can definitely see how it might be worth it on an especially extraordinary stone. Maybe someday. :naughty: I've thought about doing some stuff in silver, but not this stone. I feel like it would just clash.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gahhh... IT'S SO COOL! Pictures coming...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see it. I love brown stones too -- smokey topaz is one of my faves. Go with Stuller if you like the setting!

--- Laurie

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it a lot!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Looking sort of olive-y in the kitchen.

_7891.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Glowing bright and golden.

_7892.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Showing some contrast in a Florida sun shower.

_7893.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Glowing amber in dimmer lighting.

_7894.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
This thing is so cool because as you move the stone around, you see all the different shades- the olive, the gold, the brown, the amber... I can't seem to get the green on camera yet and I haven't had enough sunshine to even try to capture the FIRE! In direct sunlight it throws around colors almost like my diamond, which is really cool to see in a colored stone. I figure I'll try for better pictures once I get it set, which should be in about a week since the setting pictured above is "made to order" or whatever.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
that is AWESOME. I LOVE IT! and am totally jealous! :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks:) I hope you get one of the others before they're gone!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's a bright one! Waiting for pics of it set!!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funky! The switcheroo colours are something. :bigsmile: I think an all metal 14k custom setting from Etsy is around $1K from what I've seen around PS this year.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! The one pictured above was $380 in 18k but since I brought in some old jewelry, I'm getting it for $230. I guess that's why I keep coming back to Stuller, plus it's super fast and they have enough variety that so far all my stuff still looks different.

As for the color, I think funky is a good word. It's beautiful when it sparkles, but overall I wouldn't call the color "pretty." At first sight of the stone I yelled "IT'S SO COOOOOL!" all to myself. Just different I guess, especially from most stones I see in real life.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, anything that color shifts is fun to get out of the jewelry box and play with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results