shape
carat
color
clarity

New stone for old ring

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I am searching for a better diamond to put in a ring I've had for years. I'm also hoping a bigger stone can be made to fit, although I don't know who to send it to to reset (I'll post a picture of the ring when I figure out how!). Here are two stones I'm considering and would very much appreciate expert opinions on:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-683948

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-644827

One thing I find odd is that the K-VS2 stone has very visible inclusions in the "spinning" image, and the J-SI1 seems to have nothing clearly visible. It's as if the images have been reversed......

Does the J seem $1300 better than the K to you all? The setting is a bezel which I hope means the thin girdle on the K VS2 would be acceptable.

Thanks for helping!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely post a picture of the ring. It is difficult to remove a stone from a bezel without messing up the bezel from what I understand
much less making it hold a larger stone.

Hopefully once you post a pic some of our jewelers/appraisers can let you know what they think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel settings are made to fit around the diamond snugly so I highly doubt that you can set a larger stone into the existing setting unless you make fairly major modifications (old bezel removed and new larger bezel lasered in its place).

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
It absolutely will require a new bezel to use a bigger stone, but the current bezel just sort of sits on top of the rest of the setting, so I think it might be possible. But maybe not worth what it would cost. I do love the ring, though, a friend made it for me. If I have to choose a new stone the same size as the old that may be ok too. I am resizing my pictures to post; the files were too large. Will post images soon.

Would you guys comment on the stones I posted from James Allen?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results