shape
carat
color
clarity

New ring with crooked prongs - Advice needed

blocknmda

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a lab diamond engagement ring set in platinum from an online jeweler based in NYC. When I first received the ring, the setting looked OK but it had multiple areas that needed to be polished. I sent the ring back to be repaired and when I got it back, I noticed the prongs were crooked and the diamond is obviously tilted when viewed from the side. When viewed face down it is not too noticeable but viewed from the side it is very obviously tilted. I sent the ring back to have this repaired.

When they received the ring, they told me they cannot see how the ring it tilted like it appears in the photos. They said that there is a gap in one of the prongs which may account for the tilt but they. They said they will look into seeing how this can be fixed.

It really concerns me that they said they cannot see the tilt in person. I think it looked very obviously tilted when I viewed it in person. I am already stressed out that I have had to send this ring back to them twice already and I haven't even given it to my partner yet!

I really hope they can fix this but am very concerned they will say there is nothing they can do. I purchased the Extend lifetime warranty on the ring and I purchased insurance through BriteCo.

Any advice on how to proceed with this moving forward? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0644.JPEG
    IMG_0644.JPEG
    93 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0646.JPEG
    IMG_0646.JPEG
    87.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0647.JPEG
    IMG_0647.JPEG
    97.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0648.JPEG
    IMG_0648.JPEG
    93.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0649.JPEG
    IMG_0649.JPEG
    107.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry but that must be a big disappointment for you.
To be honest they’ve done a sloppy job.
The prongs for the shoulder diamonds are also a bit off.
They seem very unprofessional, sending the ring out not properly finished and now pretending the tilt isn’t there.
It is.
Explain to them that the ring head is tilting when viewed side on, not face on. Send them your photos, highlight the area.
It may not be a simple case of “bending it back straight”, the setting may need remaking. They will resist that.
Me, I’d ask for my money back and start over elsewhere.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They seem very unprofessional, sending the ring out not properly finished and now pretending the tilt isn’t there.
It is.
Explain to them that the ring head is tilting when viewed side on, not face on. Send them your photos, highlight the area.
It may not be a simple case of “bending it back straight”, the setting may need remaking. They will resist that.

I agree that I would ask for a refund and get a setting made by someone else. This work is sloppy and their denials of it is troubling

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others... politely demand that they fix it or you're filing for a refund and taking your business elsewhere.

blocknmda

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone. They stated they fixed it and are sending the ring back to me today. I will inspect it when it arrives.

I would ask for a refund by now but the problem is they considered this a custom ring because I selected knife edge prongs as one of the options when I bought the ring which was a +$100 dollar option. No where on their website did they provide a warning that selecting that option would make this a custom, non-refundable ring.

They have been responsive and I was having a good experience with them... until I received the product. I'm honestly very disappointed with this seller and they work they've done. I agree the ring looks sloppy but I'm not sure what I can do at this point.

I haven't named the seller but I'm wondering if I should so others can stay away.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone. They stated they fixed it and are sending the ring back to me today. I will inspect it when it arrives.

I would ask for a refund by now but the problem is they considered this a custom ring because I selected knife edge prongs as one of the options when I bought the ring which was a +$100 dollar option. No where on their website did they provide a warning that selecting that option would make this a custom, non-refundable ring.

They have been responsive and I was having a good experience with them... until I received the product. I'm honestly very disappointed with this seller and they work they've done. I agree the ring looks sloppy but I'm not sure what I can do at this point.

I haven't named the seller but I'm wondering if I should so others can stay away.

Suggest you wait until the reworked ring gets back to you so that you can make a final judgement before posting the seller.

Suggest you wait until the reworked ring gets back to you so that you can make a final judgement before posting the seller.

I agree. And if possible, maybe take the ring to another jeweler to get it inspected to make sure everything's secure.

bv_jewels

Rough_Rock
It is.

second this idea...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results