shape
carat
color
clarity

New project, need advice and would love some feedback!

What cut should go in this setting?

• Round

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Asscher

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Cushion

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So, after wearing my beautiful Tianyu halo for a few weeks I realized I missed heft and attention to detail that comes with certain established brands. I love the cut of my antique cut cushion so much, and overall the experience and price was very good, but I just don’t know that I want to start another project with them right now.
eBay got the better of me this week- doing a little browsing I found the sweetest vintage Simon G setting :kiss2:
F8781AC3-E261-4803-9C87-ABC348EA5469.jpeg
It has the most delicate milgrain, and the ring is lined with 18k rose gold for a little surprise pop of color :roll2:
It presently holds a 6.5 mm round CZ- obviously we have to do something about that! Before I picked up this setting I was considering getting one of Tianyu’s “new asscher” cuts. Since this is only a 4 prong setting, could I switch this to an asscher? If so, what size? Or should I stick with the round since the portions on this ring are so nice, or maybe a colored stone....?
I’d love to hear your ideas since this really has to be the last project I do for a while :P2
Here are a few more pics of the ring:
6258E70A-03F5-4910-B447-B839A18D9C87.jpeg ADE8B6C3-3E3B-4242-96A4-F2DFDC21E8EB.jpeg F1699DEE-F707-4F29-8EB1-601ADA6A4E94.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically a head designed for a round or cushion will not work for a square cut. Inside each prong, is a seat or notch to hold the girdle of the stone. That seat assumes a certain shape of the stone you place inside it. You also need to keep the diameter of the replacement gem very close to the ring as it it now. You might be able to have the prongs modified, but by the time you do that...you could probably buy the setting directly in the correct shape.

What about a round OEC? That would suit the setting very well.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could do an OEC or a H&A moissanite in a 7mm size that should work well. I would get a DEF color if you order from Tianyu (or other seller) and have it set locally. @rockysalamander is right about the head not working for a square cut. Pretty setting!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I asked Jamminggems to set my Asscher WinkCZ, they recommended I take a look at the round settings. So it is doable.

I agree with @rockysalamander that for a stone to sit most securely the setting should be cut to the best possible approximation to the angle of the stone itself. Otherwise it is more prone to coming loose upon impact. However, I would say this is a much bigger deal with a multi-thousand dollar diamond than with a CZ or moissanite. To be honest, most pre-cut settings are not cut so precisely, or even uniformly, and they still work OK.

One thing you definitely want to do is to match the diameter of the stone. I would get a set of calipers and make sure that 6.5mm stone you have in it now is actually 6.5mm.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome mount!!! Great find!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I second what everyone else here has said about making sure to maintain the proportions of the current size round stone that you have in there now. Since this is not a Peg Style setting it can't really be changed out easily to accommodate a different shape stone other than round (As far as to my knowledge). You might be able to get away with a few millimeters in difference on the stone size but I would definitely consider a OEC for this setting or either a RB. :kiss2:Beautiful ring by the way, Lucky you!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up sending the mount back. I love how classic it is, but I have such a weakness for sapphires that I returned it and now have another project in the works. :lol:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up sending the mount back. I love how classic it is, but I have such a weakness for sapphires that I returned it and now have another project in the works. :lol:

Ooo!:geek2: Do keep us posted!:mrgreen2:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo!:geek2: Do keep us posted!:mrgreen2:
While the Tianyu prices are still really low, I’m trying one more project with them. No milgrain this time, just a straight copy of a ring I fell in love with online; don’t worry, it’s not one done by any of the amazing talent on this board- wouldn’t want to step on any toes. The quote for the entire ring with a 7mm was about 1/6 the cost of just the semi mount from the original designer, but I’ll leave it at that until I get my CADs.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
=)2 Cant wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results