shape
carat
color
clarity

New Platinium AGS Grading Regport

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I just happened to come across Brian Gavin's new website which announces its coming new Signature H&A lines. The diamonds will have this new platinium AGS grading report. Anyone can tell me more about it? What does it entails with this new report? You do not need any images of ID or ASET anymore as an image of ASET is shown on the report?

ETA: The title should read Report.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Stonecold, thanks, that makes interesting reading!

I have also found a LINK to this new report.

I am getting some options from Brian and will try to post when I have more informations.

ETA: Still would love to hear from someone about what it entails now. No need for further images?? Or still need to look at IS and ASET??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 9:35:30 AM
Author: megeve
Stonecold, thanks, that makes interesting reading!

I have also found a LINK to this new report.

I am getting some options from Brian and will try to post when I have more informations.

ETA: Still would love to hear from someone about what it entails now. No need for further images?? Or still need to look at IS and ASET??
I have seen a couple of examples of these new reports, a very useful feature is when the ASET image is added. IS is still useful but if given the choice I prefer ASET for analysis personally.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 9:50:14 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Images of the report from a crafted by Infinity stone here. http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/protected/uploaded_files/cert1237987401VVN8kNxic9VMAdzb7xTH.jpg

Looks like an ASET simulation of the light performance is included in the report.

Probably still needs images if the angles are way out on the HCA.
Stonecold, great find! Its extremely helpful to know that other vendors are sending their stones too for the platinium report.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paul will also being using the plat report exclusively.
The gold ideal is not the same as plat ideal so we will need to ask which report the stone has not just if it is ags ideal.
The criteria for plat ideal is 3d based and harder to achieve plus you get the ASET image.

Also the ASET image is computer generated based on sarin data so I still would want to see actual images IS/Regular but would accept it as an ok representative ASET for rounds.
It is not the only image needed.

edited: to add info

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 12:03:15 PM
Author: strmrdr
The gold ideal is not the same as plat ideal so we will need to ask which report the stone has not just if it is ags ideal.
The criteria for plat ideal is 3d based and harder to achieve plus you get the ASET image.
Thought so but good to know and that is a point worth mentioning.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock

Also the ASET image is computer generated based on sarin data so I still would want to see actual images IS/Regular but would accept it as an ok representative ASET for rounds.

Storm, thanks! But I''m losing you! Please elaborate.

Is the plat report:

1 is better than the normal AGSO Ideal because stones graded under the plat are tighter in performance?

2 is on par with normal AGSO Ideal?

3 the cert link posted by stonecold above, has all the Os in the performance, so it actually should means, the stone will be a top performer and one would not need to ask for further images, no?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Pt report is the repackage Diamond Quality Document (DQD) of old that has the ASG0 cut grading. The DQD is no longer issue which is why Infinity is using Pt reports exclusively for their stones. They were previously only using DQDs for their stones.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Absolutely right.

You all may notice that the three criteria which set the overall cut grad are now Light Performance, Polish & Symmetry (rather than LP, Proportions Factors & Finish).

This reversal was made to accomodate the trade-at-large, which has an expectation for polish & symmetry to be separate grades. Additionally, some trade members have remained fuzzy about the difference between the post-2005 'proportions factors' grade (girdle, culet, weight ratio, durability & tilt) versus the old 1996 2D 'proportions' grade; which was a performance prediction.

Frankly we wish they'd kept the 'proportions factors' separate and just renamed it to 'physical factors' or somesuch. Now the physical elements of girdle, culet, weight ratio, durability and tilt are included as part of the light performance grade, which could lead to a bit of confusion when trying to determine the whys and wherefores of some penalties.

Our understanding is that the girdle description (thin-med for example) is going to be added to the % on the right of the proportions diagram. That will be helpful, especially since girdle measurements are treated differently from lab to lab.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhh, that means all stone submitted to AGS beg of Jan. will be graded with this new plat DQD? In other words, its still on par with old AGSO except with the light performance included?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/26/2009 1:49:41 PM
Ahhhh, that means all stone submitted to AGS beg of Jan. will be graded with this new plat DQD? In other words, its still on par with old AGSO except with the light performance included?
The DQD and the new Platinum Report are the same thing for all practical purposes. I believe AGS is still honoring specific requests for the DQD for a while longer but yes; the Platinum replaces it.

The DQR, which was always positioned as an option similar to GIA (pre-2006) is being replaced with the "Gold" Report, which includes a 2D proportions grading system, and so is again similar to GIA (post-2006).

Those who have used the DQD in the past are likely to continue with the Platinum 3D light performance evaluation, since it continues to be the most thorough and strict option.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
John,
Thanks for chiming in esp. in plain english which I can understand!
9.gif

The plat DQD has more stricter stringent with 3D light performance evalution which replaces AGS Ideal O and what about those stones which do not make the grade to plat, what do they get now? (the old AGS1 or 2)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sir John! :}

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No prob - happy to lend a hand.

Date: 3/26/2009 3:31:16 PM
John,
Thanks for chiming in esp. in plain english which I can understand!
9.gif

The plat DQD has more stricter stringent with 3D light performance evalution which replaces AGS Ideal O and what about those stones which do not make the grade to plat, what do they get now? (the old AGS1 or 2)
I may not have been clear enough though megeve? ...The Platinum report and DQD have precisely the same standards. Both use the same 3D light performance evaluation and both require ideal polish/symmetry to earn the overall AGS Ideal cut grade. The Platinum does display an ASET image based on the scan of the diamond, which is nice. I believe that feature may become optional, depending on whether or not the submitter of the diamond wants it included.

The report that both the platinum and DQD are more strict than is the old DQR (now called Gold).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 3:31:45 PM
Thank you Sir John! :}
Oui, merci mon ami!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
John,
Sorry. I am a dud!! I need more explantion than usual. Then I found this, I think I got it this time round!
lightbulb.gif

This plat replaces the (what you described in this thread - New DQD(now old))! Correct me, if I am wrong again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:09:40 PM
John,
Sorry. I am a dud!! I need more explantion than usual. Then I found this, I think I got it this time round!
lightbulb.gif

This plat replaces the (what you described in this thread - New DQD(now old))! Correct me, if I am wrong again!
Thats what he is saying, yes.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Megeve, precisely. In fact that FAQ thread needs an update now. Nice reminder - merci 2U.

(and no problème, mon dame Lorelei)

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei,
Thanks for confirming!

John,
That thread is brilliant, I only need to read through once and I understood!
9.gif

Looking forward to read the update!! Je vous en prie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results