carat
color
clarity

New Orleans

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is turning into a potentially bad situation for New Orleans:

1) the Mississippi River is at a record high level with the spillways open, draining river water into Lake Pontchartrain which surrounds the city.

2) a possible category 1 storm is at the mouth of the river

3) the storm surge is expected to get higher than 20 feet

4) the levees that protect New Orleans are good for 20 feet

From Crown Weather this afternoon:

Crown Weather Plus Tropical Weather Discussion
Issued: Wednesday Afternoon, July 10, 2019

Some Thoughts About The Potential For Major Catastrophic Flooding In New Orleans This Weekend

I am EXTREMELY CONCERNED about the potential for flooding in New Orleans this weekend due to the combination of record river heights, heavy rainfall of up to 6 to 12 inches of accumulation, strong onshore winds and a storm surge of 3 to 5 feet.
The Mississippi River at New Orleans is already at 16 feet and is expected to reach 20 feet by Saturday morning. The levees can handle a surge of up to 20 feet before they fail. This forecast is not an exact science and does not include all of the rainfall that is expected in the coming days. In addition, it does not include the waves that will likely top 20 feet.

This all spells a potential major catastrophic flood disaster for New Orleans. In addition, other levees along the Mississippi River are likely to fail in the coming days and especially this weekend.

Bottom Line Is That New Orleans and cities and towns along the Mississippi River need to be preparing NOW for what could be the worst flooding since 1927. This looks about as bad as it can be in terms of flood threat.

Finally, the flooding that occurred today in New Orleans is just a prelude to what is likely coming in terms of flooding. The true flood conditions will not arrive until Friday night and Saturday. So, it is time now to think about evacuations.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was just coming to see if you had started a thread. This was a really odd forming storm.

Where are you in relation to all this?

for those interested https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was just coming to see if you had started a thread. This was a really odd forming storm.

Where are you in relation to all this?

for those interested https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

I am currently in New Orleans :eek2:. My son lives here now so we are discussing evacuation plans for him.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall await the BBC news story blaming it on climate change! :rolleyes:

I hope everyone stays safe and things pass without major incident!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am currently in New Orleans :eek2:. My son lives here now so we are discussing evacuation plans for him.

:eek2:Please take care and I'm praying for a safe evacuation for all... I did peek at what the weather channel was saying and you're right, it looks really bad right now with all the current rain

My cousin just left there Monday to go back to California (she missed the quake there!)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:Please take care and I'm praying for a safe evacuation for all... I did peek at what the weather channel was saying and you're right, it looks really bad right now with all the current rain

My cousin just left there Monday to go back to California (she missed the quake there!)

I hope to be out of here tomorrow. My son is going to evacuate as well. We don’t trust the levees after Katrina

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So worried about NOLA and East Texas. Very scary conditions. It’s not going to be good.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So worried about NOLA and East Texas. Very scary conditions. It’s not going to be good.

I wonder if any of the barrier Islands in Texas were issued warnings yet. Might be too early but from what I keep seeing, they'll get wind and some rain at least. The darn things are quite unpredictable though...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on a flight home tonight sitting next to a guy that left NOLA earlier in the afternoon. He had taken a video of streets in the quarter flooded already.

@Arcadian. Still some speculation it could edge west. Some models have it moving north through the middle of LA and others have it bumping west riding north up the state line between LA and TX.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope to be out of here tomorrow. My son is going to evacuate as well. We don’t trust the levees after Katrina

Please let us know when you've made it safely out.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was scheduled to be in New Orleans all weekend. Once I read the predictions and saw some of the videos of Canal street yesterday, it was a several hours of calling to cancel tickets, plans and reservations. Everyone involved (hotels and airlines) were surprisingly accommodating. Hoping everyone makes it through safely.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was scheduled to be in New Orleans all weekend. Once I read the predictions and saw some of the videos of Canal street yesterday, it was a several hours of calling to cancel tickets, plans and reservations. Everyone involved (hotels and airlines) were surprisingly accommodating. Hoping everyone makes it through safely.

Its part of the reason why they called this one so early. Sopping wet ground plus potential for this to be a pretty nasty rain maker. Personally I'm hoping it stays a TS.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Its part of the reason why they called this one so early. Sopping wet ground plus potential for this to be a pretty nasty rain maker. Personally I'm hoping it stays a TS.

I'm with you! They are predicting still a Cat. 1 hurricane. Estimating 15" of Rainfall in New Orleans and up to 25" in Baton Rouge over the next 48 hours. That, combined with even a minimal storm surge could be deadly. Hoping for the best.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m with your bro in Idaho! He was telling me the story— I’m glad you cancelled.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you! They are predicting still a Cat. 1 hurricane. Estimating 15" of Rainfall in New Orleans and up to 25" in Baton Rouge over the next 48 hours. That, combined with even a minimal storm surge could be deadly. Hoping for the best.

The levees in Baton Rouge have had seepage before this for a while now. I wonder if it will end up being worse for them

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're waking up this morning to some cloudy skies. Though its expected we'd get some rain from this system. I'm also watching the formation of whats going on in the deep Atlantic.

I believe someone told me that its extremely rare to have a storm from on land, go out to sea and become a hurricane to hit land in the same area it formed. But we live in some very weird times where our climate is concerned.

@whitewave I'm glad you and family are out.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, indeed, weird times.

The worse of it is we haven’t even gotten the snow melt from some states yet!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh @whitewave...so glad you got out! This doesnt look like anything to play with. Keeping New Orleans and area in my thoughts. I've been talking
to Barry and asking him not to dump a ton of water. I'm worried that it is too late though.:(sad Fingers crossed for everyone. Stay safe.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh @whitewave...so glad you got out! This doesnt look like anything to play with. Keeping New Orleans and area in my thoughts. I've been talking
to Barry and asking him not to dump a ton of water. I'm worried that it is too late though.:(sad Fingers crossed for everyone. Stay safe.

I left my un set gems at the house there on accident and I am sure hoping they are there when I return and not floating to the gulf!! (First world problems— obviously my concern is for life)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I’m with your bro in Idaho! He was telling me the story— I’m glad you cancelled.

It is not the place to be right now, for sure. We have had a great time enjoying our "staycation." We have had an eye on the weather there all day - wishing the best for everyone, and knowing that Boise is no doubt a great time right now!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As of about 30 minutes ago, Barry officially became a categorized Hurricane. It's not the landfall that I'm most worried about, it is the hours and days after. Once all the rainfall makes its way to the rivers and lakes and before the storm surge from the Gulf has receded the flooding could be deadly. I distinctly remember all of the reports, as Katrina made it's way inland, claiming New Orleans had "dodged the bullet" or "made it through safely" only to find out, over the next 24 hours from where the real devastation was going to come. :(2 We can only hope the actions taken since that time are enough.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E0826620-7270-4787-9DFA-3ABFAE7E1727.jpeg My house has no power now: tree and power line down

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As of about 30 minutes ago, Barry officially became a categorized Hurricane. It's not the landfall that I'm most worried about, it is the hours and days after. Once all the rainfall makes its way to the rivers and lakes and before the storm surge from the Gulf has receded the flooding could be deadly. I distinctly remember all of the reports, as Katrina made it's way inland, claiming New Orleans had "dodged the bullet" or "made it through safely" only to find out, over the next 24 hours from where the real devastation was going to come. :(2 We can only hope the actions taken since that time are enough.

For Katrina, I had 17 people and 21 animals at my house. They all jumped back into their cars to go back when I had to run out to the driveway to tell them to come back in because the levees had broken.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have neighbors close by that stayed @whitewave ? That would be great if electricity outage was the worst of it for you.
Hope your unset gems are right where you left them when you get home! Yes, first world problems. Hoping all stay safe and
the flooding isnt too bad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have neighbors close by that stayed @whitewave ? That would be great if electricity outage was the worst of it for you.
Hope your unset gems are right where you left them when you get home! Yes, first world problems. Hoping all stay safe and
the flooding isnt too bad.

My brother is at my house keeping an eye on it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is super unsettling and while I'm not there and didn't live through it, it reminds me so much of Katrina--I was riveted to the news at work all day for weeks while everything went down. Happy that our PSrs are alright. Hopeful that everyone else makes it through.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results