shape
carat
color
clarity

New: ordered marquise diamond, thoughts please!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, new here so be gentle!

In the process of getting an engagement ring. Going for a marquise diamond, in a platinum halo setting, with 18ct yellow gold band. Super excited.

We have ordered the stone and I think/hope I have done a good job. Because of the current market we can't see it first and are committed (it's being shipped from Hong Kong). I would just like some reassurance, or, if you think it is terrible, some other suggestions (as it hasn't shipped I can potentially cancel and get a different one, but I do love this stone).

Details are:
GIA certified (report no. 2336208158)
1.04ct
K colour (I want a warm stone)
VVS1
Estimated Ex cut
Ex polish
Vg symmetry

Video:

I love the look of it. I THINK the specs are good. I guess I want reassurance that it looks ok to people who are experts in marquise/fancy shapes.

Thoughts really appreciated!

TIA!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, new here so be gentle!

In the process of getting an engagement ring. Going for a marquise diamond, in a platinum halo setting, with 18ct yellow gold band. Super excited.

We have ordered the stone and I think/hope I have done a good job. Because of the current market we can't see it first and are committed (it's being shipped from Hong Kong). I would just like some reassurance, or, if you think it is terrible, some other suggestions (as it hasn't shipped I can potentially cancel and get a different one, but I do love this stone).

Details are:
GIA certified (report no. 2336208158)
1.04ct
K colour (I want a warm stone)
VVS1
Estimated Ex cut
Ex polish
Vg symmetry

Video:

I love the look of it. I THINK the specs are good. I guess I want reassurance that it looks ok to people who are experts in marquise/fancy shapes.

Thoughts really appreciated!

TIA!

Sorry all, the report number didn't post properly, it's 2336208158

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really pretty!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful. Please come back and show us the ring!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! I do love it, just so nervous about bow tie once it's set :( and I know I won't know until it's set which doesn't help lol

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love warm stones too. It looks like a beautiful cut, honestly. I'm excited to see it set, so please show many pics!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! I do love it, just so nervous about bow tie once it's set :( and I know I won't know until it's set which doesn't help lol

I dont think it will be an issue. The main problem is with stones that have a dark bowtie. That's when its noticable. I dont see that with yours at all.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I dont think it will be an issue. The main problem is with stones that have a dark bowtie. That's when its noticable. I dont see that with yours at all.

Thank you. I don't see much bow tie in the video, or in the still I initially had (which I don't now have unfortunately). Just read on here that they can become visible once set, so getting nervous as we spent quite a lot (we had to up our budget as the stones in our budget just weren't right; because I wanted a warm colour it MASSIVELY limited us unfortunately!)

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s beautiful. Please come back and show us the ring!

I will probably be back before with CADs and resins lol, I am very undecided on the size of the setting at the moment. Should have the first resin next week, finger's crossed!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a lovely and well-proportioned Marquise - the video shows a bright and lively performance - it should be beautiful in a platinum halo / YG shank ring!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I don't see much bow tie in the video, or in the still I initially had (which I don't now have unfortunately). Just read on here that they can become visible once set, so getting nervous as we spent quite a lot (we had to up our budget as the stones in our budget just weren't right; because I wanted a warm colour it MASSIVELY limited us unfortunately!)

Bowties can look more obvious once set, but they won't all of a sudden become an issue if they weren't an issue in the loose stone (at least not that I've seen). I think you are safe--it is a great choice!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Bowties can look more obvious once set, but they won't all of a sudden become an issue if they weren't an issue in the loose stone (at least not that I've seen). I think you are safe--it is a great choice!

Thank you, that's definitely helped assuage my fears :)

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
What do you all think of this setting? 0.26 TCW. Platinum head/halo, and 18ct yellow gold band as mentioned:

Screenshot_20200512-174634.png

(The band will be court shaped (rounded) the whole way round)

This is how the proportions will look on my finger (NB: this is the overall size inc halo):

Screenshot_20200512-122942.png

Concerns:

I'm from the UK and big rings aren't super common; I don't want to attract too much attention

Does the halo detract from the centre stone? I want the centre stone to shine. But I love the sparkle of multiple stones, which is why I want a halo

Any thoughts or suggestions would again be appreciated!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Looks so pretty! Recently I started loving these unique yet beautiful stones. I love how they are understated but still elegant. Can’t wait to see modeling shots!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Looks so pretty! Recently I started loving these unique yet beautiful stones. I love how they are understated but still elegant. Can’t wait to see modeling shots!

Thank you :)

I didn't know much about them before. I loved pears, but the lack of symmetry bothered me; and then I found marquise, and loved the elongated, pointed shape.

Very nervous as I haven't seen one IRL. So hopefully I will actually like it lol.

Re model shots, that may be a while, as we are waiting until my decree absolute comes through to get officially engaged, so, probably the end of the year. Which will kill me as I really want to see the finished ring!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love marquises; looks like a very pretty stone

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m from the UK too, I love marquise cuts, it’s nice to have something different.

This is mine, 1.12 H VVS2 with .99pts of F/G melee in platinum

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I love marquises; looks like a very pretty stone

Thank you!

I’m from the UK too, I love marquise cuts, it’s nice to have something different.

This is mine, 1.12 H VVS2 with .99pts of F/G melee in platinum

13EFC04D-04F6-4342-BA46-718D2E5DDC6A.jpeg

Gorgeous ring! Do you mind me asking your finger size and rough dimensions (length and width)? Loving the overall size of yours on your finger.

Also cool you are from the UK! Not seen a marquise here yet, everyone I know has round/princess/cushion (know one person with an Asscher, and one with a pear).

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @barbie86 Mine is a size N, 10.66 x 5.39 x 3.40 but the overall size including halo is about 17/18mm tip to tip and about 10mm across.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Hope that you'll like the ring.

Of course, with a solitaire it is an entirely different game. But I have a marquise cut ring (called Victoria at Tiffany) and also a bracelet. And to my great regret...I'd like to part with them all. I just do not think that they sparkle like the "others" :)

There is just no comparison between my Tiffany tennis bracelet and Victoria bracelet. The marquise cut diamonds (in my experience) do not sparkle as much as the round cut.

I am not sure how relevant this is to a solitaire discussions. I'd love to see pics of your ring!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@barbie86 , I love your choice! I have a 1.05 ct marquise in a halo about the same size as your setting. I am a size 6 for reference. I can’t wait to see yours on your finger! BE4D2007-DFAB-4E80-9EDE-AE6137909272.jpeg

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Hope that you'll like the ring.

Of course, with a solitaire it is an entirely different game. But I have a marquise cut ring (called Victoria at Tiffany) and also a bracelet. And to my great regret...I'd like to part with them all. I just do not think that they sparkle like the "others" :)

There is just no comparison between my Tiffany tennis bracelet and Victoria bracelet. The marquise cut diamonds (in my experience) do not sparkle as much as the round cut.

I am not sure how relevant this is to a solitaire discussions. I'd love to see pics of your ring!

I know they don't sparkle as much.

This is my second marriage, so, I kind of want the opposite ring of my first; my first was a cluster with MRB stones, D colour. So, I don't want MRB, and don't want D-H stones: I want a warm stone (ideally K-L), and a different shape.

Did like pears, but the lack of symmetry bothered me (I like the same shape all ways, if that makes sense). Oval was too 'rounded' looking. And while I love step cuts I love them in sizes MUCH larger than our budget. So, it came to marquise. They seem to sparkle, have a good finger coverage, and I love the elongated shape: big into art deco rings and there are so many in the marquise shape.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know they don't sparkle as much.

This is my second marriage, so, I kind of want the opposite ring of my first; my first was a cluster with MRB stones, D colour. So, I don't want MRB, and don't want D-H stones: I want a warm stone (ideally K-L), and a different shape.

Did like pears, but the lack of symmetry bothered me (I like the same shape all ways, if that makes sense). Oval was too 'rounded' looking. And while I love step cuts I love them in sizes MUCH larger than our budget. So, it came to marquise. They seem to sparkle, have a good finger coverage, and I love the elongated shape: big into art deco rings and there are so many in the marquise shape.

I disagree with @VeryUndecided about marquise and sparkle. I think they sparkle wonderfully (of course not all of them, but the well cut and eye-clean ones do). They are differnt than rounds, and don't throw fire/sparkle in the same way, but I Think they are gorgeous.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I disagree with @VeryUndecided about marquise and sparkle. I think they sparkle wonderfully (of course not all of them, but the well cut and eye-clean ones do). They are differnt than rounds, and don't throw fire/sparkle in the same way, but I Think they are gorgeous.
Thanks! As I said, main thing was having something totally different to my engagement ring from my first marriage (it was not a good relationship, enough said! Lol)

Of the shapes I was looking at I felt marquise was a good overall choice: long and elegant, symmetrical, and, as fancies go, fairly sparkly.

Ok with my choice, I think!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
No bowtie, looks nice. The crushed ice part will look like KLM and the central part like H/I.
That is good or bad and you are the vairable :)

Can you specify which bit will look warm (tips/middle/I don't know), and which won't? Big thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The very small looking facets will concentrate the colour - like near the tips. The light from the broad Flashes in the central area has travelled thru way less K colour and will look whiter than the parts that bounced around 10 times where the facets look like crushed ice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results