shape
carat
color
clarity

NEW: Low-Value Shipment Increase from $1600 to $2500

OnlyOncePlease

Rough_Rock
Low-Value Shipment (LVS) Threshold Increase

On January 8, 2013, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced an increase to the low-value shipment (LVS) threshold from the current CAD$1600 to CAD$2500. The Courier Low-Value Shipment (LVS) Program provides simplified, expedited processing for qualifying low-value shipments not exceeding CAD$2500.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) also announced an increase in the value threshold for informal entries from the current USD$2000 to USD$2500, effective January 7, 2013.

The harmonization of the value thresholds is a result of the Canada–U.S. Beyond the Border Action Plan, which commits to simplifying and harmonizing the customs processes between Canada and the U.S.

Please Note: To ensure a seamless transition, Federal Express Canada Ltd. will process eligible Canadian inbound LVS shipments at the new CAD$2500 value threshold effective February 1, 2013.

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/international/regulatorynews/lvs-value-threshold-increase.html

I assume under $2500, may not have to pay any Tax to import into Canada from US.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohhh... you will have to pay taxes.

I have imported more things than I wish to admit.

I have found that when its valued under $400 I am almost never charged taxes by Canada Post.

Valued between $400 and $900 and its about 50/50 through Canada Post.

Over $900 and I have always been charged taxes by Canada Post.

FedEx always charges taxes.

The change in the limit from $1600 to $2500 just means a different process for paying your taxes. Under the limit means the item is delivered to your door and they collect taxes at that time (at least with FedEx). Over the limit means that you must sign a form and send it to FedEx allowing them to process your import, and you must pay taxes (i.e., give them your cc information) BEFORE they will clear the item. Which delays delivery. So this change basically means faster shipping on items up to $2500. Which is nice.

But the tax man will get you either way 8)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for clarification Dreamer!

I hate it when they make me send forms before they will clear my item. :(
Yay faster shipping!. Boo taxes, but yay national health care and safe roads.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results