shape
carat
color
clarity

New here, need an opinion on a stone Thanks,

BrianT

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I have been educating myself in this forum for about six weeks now and I think that it’s time to buy. To make thing easier on this buy, I decided to go with BGD. Because I really like the setting that they have, it’s Tapered Tiffany Style Half Round.

For the stone, I originally start out with G VS1 around 1.15ct to 1.20ct. I then realized it’s over my budget (11k max). The only problem is that BGD only have one H VS1 1.232ct and still over my budget.

Here is the question for next step.
Can you see any different in everyday life of these two H VS2

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.214-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104054185013

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.210-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104060183004

Compare to this H VS1

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.232-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104054185007

Or should I wait until BGD have more H VS1 that I really prefer.

This is my first time post any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I would drop down to SI1 and see what Brian has that is eye clean. I think as long as it is eye clean who really cares if you can see an inclusion with a 10x loupe. That will open up your budget for more options.

Does BGD allow outside stones to be set? That would be the other option- to see what else is out there and have them send the diamond to BGD to be set in the setting you like.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1357929327|3353167 said:
Honestly I would drop down to SI1 and see what Brian has that is eye clean. I think as long as it is eye clean who really cares if you can see an inclusion with a 10x loupe. That will open up your budget for more options.

I agree! Just have them confirm that it's eye clean to your specifications (your definition of eye clean may be different from theirs). They are really nice on the phone and you could probably talk to Brian specifically.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
BrianT|1357928827|3353162 said:
Hello all,
I have been educating myself in this forum for about six weeks now and I think that it’s time to buy. To make thing easier on this buy, I decided to go with BGD. Because I really like the setting that they have, it’s Tapered Tiffany Style Half Round.

For the stone, I originally start out with G VS1 around 1.15ct to 1.20ct. I then realized it’s over my budget (11k max). The only problem is that BGD only have one H VS1 1.232ct and still over my budget.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.214-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104054185013

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.210-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104060183004

Compare to this H VS1

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.232-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104054185007

This is my first time post any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

The two H VS2 stones are very nice. You might want to give BGD a call and ask them to pull the two stones and compare them for you. They are very similar in proportions and both have very tiny inclusions. But one stone may be brighter or have more fire, so it's worth asking them to compare. If you really do prefer VS1 clarity, that's fine, too, but it may be difficult to find a BGD signature cut stone under $11,000. You may want to call them and ask them if they're expecting any new H VS1 stones in your budget. Are you willing to go with a smaller stone to get VS1 clarity?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without taking the time to look at the cutting on the two stones you ask about I wish to comment only on the part of your question where you asked about real life differences.

Between a VS1 and a VS2 you will normally see NO difference to the unaided eye, assuming that cutting is equal in both diamonds.

You are paying more for the paper grade, but normally gaining nothing in visual beauty. For many there is a difference in the psychic beauty of the two, but not in the viewing.

Wink

BrianT

Rough_Rock
Lula|1357931199|3353191 said:
BrianT|1357928827|3353162 said:
Hello all,

Compare to this H VS1

Thanks,

The two H VS2 stones are very nice. You might want to give BGD a call and ask them to pull the two stones and compare them for you. They are very similar in proportions and both have very tiny inclusions. But one stone may be brighter or have more fire, so it's worth asking them to compare. If you really do prefer VS1 clarity, that's fine, too, but it may be difficult to find a BGD signature cut stone under $11,000. You may want to call them and ask them if they're expecting any new H VS1 stones in your budget. Are you willing to go with a smaller stone to get VS1 clarity?

Thanks for all replies,

I called BGD and was told to call back on Sunday to talk to Brian Gavin. So I’ll call him on Sunday. In the meantime if you need make decision to buy now which one would you pick between the two VS2.

Thanks,

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD is extremely consistent, doubt very much you would actually prefer one over another if you saw them in real life.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1357939602|3353312 said:
BGD is extremely consistent, doubt very much you would actually prefer one over another if you saw them in real life.

I agree with Julie. Those two diamonds could be twins, they are that similar. If I was choosing, I'd pick the 1.210 because I like the slightly larger table and the black "hot spots" you can see in between the tops of the arrows on the red Idealscope image. But my preference is just my preference and is based only on the images. Brian may be able to tell you more on Sunday, since he can compare them in person.

BrianT

Rough_Rock
Lula|1357940523|3353324 said:
JulieN|1357939602|3353312 said:

I agree with Julie. Those two diamonds could be twins, they are that similar. If I was choosing, I'd pick the 1.210 because I like the slightly larger table and the black "hot spots" you can see in between the tops of the arrows on the red Idealscope image. But my preference is just my preference and is based only on the images. Brian may be able to tell you more on Sunday, since he can compare them in person.

When I spoke with the lady at BGD, she also told me to pick the same one 1.210 over 1.214. At this point i'm leaning toward VS2 for my budget.

BrianT

Rough_Rock
Spoke with Brian Gavin over the weekend between two VS2. I should have the answer by tomorrow via email. Anyone else would like to comment on these two VS2. Which on would pick.

Thanks,

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I kind of like the look of the images on the 1.210 also. Did Brian give you any extra information? We went to visit him last week to look at some things and he is pretty awesome.

BrianT

Rough_Rock
Just got the email from BGD about the two VS2, after he analyzed both diamonds and said 1.214 is cleaner of the two. I'm thinking 1.210 because of the image but I still couple days to decide.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
BrianT|1358201533|3355517 said:
Just got the email from BGD about the two VS2, after he analyzed both diamonds and said 1.214 is cleaner of the two. I'm thinking 1.210 because of the image but I still couple days to decide.

I'm a little confused, but why would you choose the stone with the better IS over the cleaner-looking stone? It seems like cleaner would be preferable in real-life. I'm totally new at this, so I'm just wondering.

Also, if you were planning on proposing on Valentine's Day, 1.214 just sounds cooler. :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results