shape
carat
color
clarity

New here: IDJ PS Quality vs. Whiteflash Hearts & Arrows

grjones

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm new here and haven't figured out the search function well enough to find an answer to this question. I'm looking to purchase a U-prong eternity band. I have read reviews of ID Jewelry and Whiteflash on this site and have submitted quote requests to both for size 5.25. In short, I can do:

Whiteflash @ 3.06 ctw with Hearts & Arrows diamonds, F/G, VS1-2.
or
IDJ @ 4.00 ctw with PS quality diamonds, F/G, SI1.

So question is - is the hearts and arrows cut much more sparkly than PS quality ideals from IDJ? The Whiteflash band is significantly more expensive and 1 ct smaller BUT, I'd rather have great quality stones that are bright and sparkly!

Thank you in advance!!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a value and size girl - I'd get the IDJ PS Quality for the lower price and bigger stones :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for variety, I'll post the opposing view from my friend, PB!

I'd rather have superideal cut stones and always get at least VS2 in clarity. That way, I have no regrets down the road!

It is better to talk about bands in terms of the size diamonds in them..like 10 pointers or 15, etc. The total weight will always vary with the actual ring size.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both vendors have great customer service, as has been reflected on PS time and time again, so you can't go wrong with either vendor...

Another factor to take into consideration is if you'd want to upgrade the ring down the line for bigger sized diamonds. What is the upgrade policy for each vendor?

grjones

Rough_Rock
Thank you PintoBean and diamondseeker2006! Few more details.

Whiteflash 3ct: 17 point ACA F/G, VS1-2 diamond melee
IDJ 4ct: 25 point F/G, SI PriceScope quality diamonds (significantly less expensive)

In the meantime, I'm also pricing out upgrading the diamonds in the IDJ band to VS1-2 (vs the originally quoted SI) to see if we get something more comparable to the diamond quality in the Whiteflash quote.

Attached a photo of what I had in mind - probably a common photo on this site!

screen_shot_2016-08-22_at_4.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that was a good idea to request pricing for VS diamonds. Is this going to be a stand-alone ring? If so, then obviously either will work. But I think 25 pointers is going to be a pretty big band and would likely stick out a lot further than an e-ring, so I would not choose diamonds this big if you are planning to wear it with an e-ring. I once tried on a Tiffany band that was just under 3 cts and it was really big and blingy. I ended up not keeping it because it was too high off the finger to wear with an engagement ring. So just keep that part in mind.

_38095.jpg

_38096.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my MIL PS quality IDJ diamond hoops at the same time I bought myself a diamond band from Brian Gavin with their BGD Signature stones in it (Brian developed the ACA at WF before starting his own company so the standards are very similar).

I compared them side by side. Was there a difference? A slight one, yes. Was it worth the immense price difference? Not to me. I am hopefully getting a new band in the next year and I have my pick of PS vendors. Guess who I am going with? IDJ.

You can do a side by side yourself. Have IDJ send you one of their stones on memo, or pay for it. And buy one from WF (with the understanding you can return it). Compare them side by side.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1472258686|4070412 said:
I think that was a good idea to request pricing for VS diamonds. Is this going to be a stand-alone ring? If so, then obviously either will work. But I think 25 pointers is going to be a pretty big band and would likely stick out a lot further than an e-ring, so I would not choose diamonds this big if you are planning to wear it with an e-ring. I once tried on a Tiffany band that was just under 3 cts and it was really big and blingy. I ended up not keeping it because it was too high off the finger to wear with an engagement ring. So just keep that part in mind.

DS. I discovered from my garland band that settings like that bother me. They set the stones too high.

I strongly suggest you be VERY careful about the setting you get for a large eternity like that. Set it as low as possible.

THIS is my favorite shared prong setting. It is AMAZING. I would ask IDJ for a revised quote with a custom setting like this (this one is handforged, they have a good handforged bench, it will cost more though, but worth it):

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Signed-Pieces/Signed-Pieces-Rings-and-Bands/450ctw-Diamond-Eternity-Band/ :love: :love: :love: :love:

See the profile here: https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Signed-Pieces/Signed-Pieces-Rings-and-Bands/450ctw-Diamond-Eternity-Band/i-dxHSkrQ/A

Settings make a HUGE difference with bands on the comfort.

Actually, if that band fits you and is available you may just want to buy it if it is in budget. It's freaking amazing.

My second favorite is the Memoire shared prong: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0301/8121/products/ESRG4013_large.jpeg?v=1459964647

grjones

Rough_Rock
I'm planning on wearing as a standalone ring on my right and left hand (when not wearing my ER/WB combo).

All really good suggestions - thank you! I feel as though I need to try on .20 and .25 point rings to feel them on my hand and get a sense for what setting works best for me. Comfort is definitely a factor I overlooked.

Thank you everyone!

fair75

Rough_Rock
To me, it depends on what you really value and can afford or would like to pay for these diamonds. Since the size of the diamonds you are considering from WF is less than 20 pointers, I assume these aren't certified. You mentioned that the IDJ's diamonds are 25 pointers each, but are they certified or not? Also, I wouldn't consider this to be an apple-to-apple comparison since ACAs are considered to have better cutting, even without certificates. With WF, the ACAs are beautiful but if they aren't certified, the color/clarity grades may or may not be consistent. However, if IDJ's diamonds come with GIA certificates and you are able to verify the light performance via ideal / ASET scope images along with the proportions on the reports, I would personally go for the IDJ ones. Why? In this scenario, you would be getting bigger diamonds with GIA certificates, hence verifying that you are getting the advertised color/clarity grades (within small margins of error). I would still want the stones to be examined to see if they are eye clean though. But the way you provided the info on IDJ's diamonds, I have a feeling that those diamonds are also not certified. In the case of choosing from both companies with uncertified stones, my vote will go to WF. SI1 clarity diamonds have a wide variation of quality and if you aren't careful, you may get some diamonds that are slightly cloudy and/or not eye clean. My rule is that I wouldn't buy SI1/SI2 diamonds without seeing high-definition videos/photos. However, the ACA diamonds would be VS1 to VS2, which would be eye clean and clear in most cases (except for some instances that VS2 stones have dark crystals in the table and are visible or other offensive inclusions in bad locations). Yes, the ACAs will be more expensive and a bit smaller, but the quality would much better in my opinion. Just note that even if you go with WF, make sure you ask them to check the color of the diamonds from the side and compare them to certified ones to see if your diamonds are in the G/F color range.

grjones

Rough_Rock
fair: Thanks for the detailed response. I re-quoted with IDJ upgrading to PSQ excellent cut F/G VS2 diamonds - still much less expensive than WF. Neither would come with certificates.

Essentially I would get a 20 point, excellent cut, PriceScope quality, F/G color, VS2 diamond eternity band from IDJ or a 17 point ACA diamond melee, F/G, VS diamond eternity band for $3000 more.

That's a good chunk of cash (37% increase in price for similarly sized stones), so it's good to hear your thoughts on the quality! If the IDJ diamonds were confirmed eye clean, would you feel more comfortable going with their band knowing I'd upgraded to VS quality? Is the ACA cut that much better than the IDJ excellent cut?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have a VERY hard time paying $3k more for smaller stones! I'd personally opt for IDJ and specify hand chosen, VS clarity/100% eye clean, H&A, PS quality beautiful stones from Yekutiel.

For the record, I went with WF for my DBTY necklace and IDJ for my wedding band. Both have 15 pointers in them and I can't tell the difference (I gave the same specifications to Yekutiel for my band as I mention above). I honestly went with WF for the DBTY for their beautiful bezels. I get the whole ACA quality thing, but can't wrap my head around a discernible difference with stones under 1/2 carat. I see $3k savings and think to myself "I can get a stunning diamond bracelet/diamond hoops/studs/etc. in addition to the band". Just my two cents! :wavey:

Dizz17

Rough_Rock
I would buy from IDJ because Yekutiel is the man. Stress free every time I go there.

fair75

Rough_Rock
Like I said before, it's riskier to choose SI1 diamonds since there are big differences between bad and great SI1s, and that's why I would rather err on the side of caution. As long as Yekutiel can confirm that his VS2 stones are eye clean, I would have no problem going with IDJ!

saz9382

Rough_Rock
I have just completed an engagement ring project with IDJ. I am delighted with the outcome. I dealt with Joey, and Yuketiel. I will definitely work with them again in the future.

grjones

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! Such great recommendations. I'll let you know what direction I go and photos photos once it comes in!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results