shape
carat
color
clarity

NEW HERE! Antique Diamond question, PLS HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alk182

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, im new to the world of diamonds! ivew been looking at this site, and all of you expects seem to know your stuff! :0) we have recently been trying to find me an engagement ring, i found an estate piecve which we purchased, and we are getting a verragio setting for it.

This is what we know. It is 1.30 cts, J color, VS1, antique european cut, circa 1900....

i dont know the exact measurements, but its very deep. I wont know till i get it appraised as its still in original setting....does anyone have an idea of what this stone would appraise at?

thanks so much everyone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To get a rough ballpark of prices for antique cuts i use faye cullen to benchmark prices as they sell lose stones and you can look up by specs and pricing. goodoldgold has also started carrying some antique cuts, though last I checked there were only 2 of them listed on there.

A LOT will depend on the stone's condition, and how accurate the assessment of the "J VS1" claims are, etc. How do you know it's a J VS1 if it's set? You can't judge color face up. So be prepared for it to come back an L-M-O. Carat size is also a little hard to estimate correctly in antique cuts (especially one that is really deep, as you say) when set.

Are you getting it appraised independantly? Also if you are looking for peice of mind. I'd send the unmounted stone to the GIA for a certificate. It will cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but it might be worth it.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would like to add that the stone''s make plays a big role in its value. The fact that its deep does not scare me much as most old cuts do tend to run on the deep side. Followed by make is the stone''s color, then clarity.

If you take the piece to a third-party appraiser who is familiar with antique pieces (this is key), he should be able to give you a value.

Good luck!!

ps: any photos of this beaut?

alk182

Rough_Rock
thanks guys!!! im planning on getting it appraised independantly...i just loved it so much! the one thing, we have looked at SOOO many stones, and once i actually took it outside, and out of the store itself, it looks so Not YELLOW! iN THE STORE I WAS WORRIED BECAUSE I SEEN YELLOW TINT, NOT ALOT, BUT THE WARM GLOW, I LOVED THAT, HOWEVER I THOGHT OUTSIDE IT MIGHT BE WORSE, IF you know what i mean..but to my suprise it doesnt have an overall pale yellow, but more of just warm reflections....i have a vs1 d color stone, half carat, that is so icy, i compared side to side, and obviously the antique lookes warm compared to this, but its just as clear, however i still dont see an overall pale yellow tint...

i will take pics first thing i the morning, the setting is horrific however, and the setting isnt really old, just ugly...hahaha....

the j color is just an estimate, but in the store it looked more yellow....also its the european cut, small table and the botton cullet sp? i think is flat on the bottom

also it was indeed hand cut, when you look at the diamond fro the side, its brim, dont remember what thats called, looks thicker on one side, it is so hard to see...but other than that, it looks great i think!

please check tomorrow to see pics and let me know your honest opinion, thanks guys!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will look for your pics tomorrow, sounds like a lovely stone!!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping for photos! I can''t wait for them tomorrow!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
old stones like this often have more of a "brown" or sepia quality than a yellow tint or caste. its the way they were cut....personally old stones have a quality that is impossible to get in a modern stone. not better just different and in a good way! the light reflection and brilliance was based on the cutting that was interdependant on candle and oil and "day" light and NOT are super powered lightbulbs of today.

alk182

Rough_Rock
here is one pic, i had to resize like a zillion times!

diamond22.jpg

alk182

Rough_Rock
second pic

diamond23.jpg

alk182

Rough_Rock
3rd

diamond33.jpg

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Well the setting isn''t that bad! It looks like just a normal solitaire. But, I''m sure you can find something that suits it better.

It looks really nice, I''d love to see pictures of it loose, when you take it out of that setting to put into the new one. I really love antique stones...

Re: appraisal, the only thing I know is that I just bought a 1.15 carat, M, VS1 OEC, GREAT cut (faces up much larger than most OEC''s do, but not too shallow)--graded loose, and it was around $3700.00 (from a guy who does mostly wholesale). But you should definitely send your stone to an independent appraiser if you are able to, it would be great to get your questions answered for sure!

alk182

Rough_Rock
thank you! im SOOOO excited!!! we have a 9 month old, and i never thoguht this was gonna happen, but he saved up for sooo long, and im estatic! i love antique, and im sooo interested in finding more out about this ring, so if anyone can tell me anything, let me know! once its out of the setting ill take more pics! the pics arent great :0(

i read someplace else that stones above 1 ct were rare in 1900?any ideas why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results