shape
carat
color
clarity

New here and waiting like the rest of us...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Been with my love 2+ years and we have not even chatted about marriage what so ever. I am losing hope here and you all are making me jealous! (just kidding, congrats to you all) :)

I don''t think I will ever get married! Sigh!

Skylah

Shiny_Rock
Hi Patchee,

I''m a new poster and long-time lurker here but just wanted to say welcome!
emsmile.gif

I am assuming by your post that you want to get married. If so, have you brought it up to your SO?

My BF and I never had that problem because he brought up marriage in the first year but I did have this problem in previous relationships and if when I felt that that was the direction I wanted to go, I talked about it. A couple of times, I was the one who decided that I could not see myself married to Mr. X or Mr. Y and I was vocal as soon as I knew. I just feel like there is no point in wasting someone''s time, inlcuding my own. Just wanted to share my own experience.

If this bothers you, I would talk about it with him. If you are fine with your relationship as is, then enjoy yourself. Every day is a celebration if you let yourself feel it.

Good luck!

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sky, I just found this site and I think I "need" to be here. Perhaps for a pep talk? That is to pep me up for bringing up the "marriage discussion" which for some reason I am so afraid of?

I don''t know how to even begin to bring it up, I''m sweating just thinking about it!
9.gif
I mean that!

So Sky, you asked your other mates of the past about what they want future wise and when you did, did you get a good response from it or was that the door that made you leave??

I want to get married but not sure if he is into the "binding commitment" of it all..

I am truly very happy with the way things are now, I am just beginning to think it is not normal not to 1) ever have an argument or 2) never speak marriage and future in that way.

Help. Been 2yrs, 6 months and I don''t want to be 40 and with him for years with no marriage, don''t think I should sell myself short even if we have a rare/unique relationship ....

Skylah

Shiny_Rock
Well , I believe in being honest with yourself. There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting to get married. There is nothing wrong with not getting married, either. The thing that is of the utmost importance is that the two people in the relationship want the same thing.

When my BF and I discussed marriage (my future fiance), we both made it clear that marriage is ultimately what we both wanted. I love Mr. G very much but I know that if he said he didn''t feel the need for marriage in his life, then I could not continue the relationship. Granted, that did not mean we had to get married that day but it meant we wanted the same thing and we were both working towards marriage.

Now, prior to this relationship, I had a BF that I had fun with and we were going out for awhile. I vaguely brought up the idea of marriage and he told me he didn''t feel the need to get married and could never see himself "tied down" to anyone. Uhm. Right. Well, good for him but NOT good for me. I left that relationship and truly, NEVER looked back.

Ultimately, I think one of the more important things here is that you need to feel comfortable about discussing this subject with your BF. Even if you disagree with one another, the trust needs to be there so that you can safely discuss whatever ails you without being attacked, etc. I am not saying you said he would attack you if you spoke up, just that you have every right to voice these concerns. Just remember that just like you want to feel safe in discussing it, you might want to keep in mind that a gentle, loving tact might be the best way to approach this subject even if you are anxious, nervous, etc. And I apologize if I am out of line here but do you think that may be one of the reasons you don''t argue? Do you feel free to communicate openly? Just one outsider''s thought; take it with a grain of salt.

I believe that you deserve to express what you want but that you have the responsibility to go for it once you know what that is. You deserve it.
emrose.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 1:24:07 PM
Author: Patchee

I am truly very happy with the way things are now, I am just beginning to think it is not normal not to 1) ever have an argument or 2) never speak marriage and future in that way.
Er, not ever? Not even over super stupid stuff like supermarket shopping? Or things that for the life of you you can''t remember what started it? Or do you mean no major things?
I had a relationship where we never argued about anything. All it meant was that I was repressing myself and was scared of his temper, generally not a sign of a healthy relationship. But that''s just me.

Help. Been 2yrs, 6 months and I don''t want to be 40 and with him for years with no marriage, don''t think I should sell myself short even if we have a rare/unique relationship ....
May I ask how old you are? 24 and 2 1/2 years of not talking about marriage is not totally unreasonable. 34 yrs old and 2 1/2 years w/o talking about it is a little worrisome.

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to jump in and say "hi" to another new posting LIW --just got here myself, but wish I''d found this place a couple of months ago :)

I would agree with Wren about the age thing, except I know that to some men, the idea just never even crosses their minds w/o a little prompting :) Good luck to you!

:)
jen

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, do you ever talk about the future at all, like does he want kids and what you''ll be doing when you''re older or whatever? I think it''s perfectly reasonable to bring it up after two years! Welcome to the forum (I''m very new, too) and hope all goes well with you guys!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I agree about the part about never arguing.....there has to be some sort of "healthy" argument, I think.

I never used to argue with my ex...but I realized that it was because I saw him more as a good friend...so certain things didn''t bother me. I argue with my BF now, not very often...but sometimes (specially when it comes to his mom...I have another thread on that story
32.gif
)

If marriage is something you want for your future then I definitely think it is time to bring it up. I would just want to know how he feels about marriage in general....wouldn''t you hate to realize in a couple more years that marriage was just never his intention?. I guess age also has something to do with it. I''m 28 so to me it is important to know this kind of stuff...almost before I start investing time/love into someone. I never had to ask my BF, but I think from the beginning it was obvious that we both wanted to eventually get married, have kids, etc.

You might not have any reasons to be freaked out about the conversation....maybe he is wondering the same thing you are and he is not sure how YOU feel about the subject?

Just my .02!

M~

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I think Skylah said it all very well and there isn''t much I could add. I do however understand the feeling of being very nervous about discussing things. In the beginning when my BF and i talked about the things we want in our future, to establish a relationship being p[lausible, it came oh so naturally and nothing really nervous about it. But now when I was to talk about it it seems so nerve wracking. Perhaps because it is planned? I dunno. But again I think Skylah said some very brilliant things! And welcome
35.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hi there! Welcome!
35.gif

I agree with what''s been said, it''s a bit hard to judge your situation if we don''t know more of your story.

That said, it''s always been important for me to get married one day and at some point in my relationship with my boyfriend, I wondered if he wanted to get married too. So I asked him, one day as we were having a nice, intimate moment walking on the beach, if he ever wanted to get married one day. He looked me in the eye and said yes. I said I did too, and that I wished we could discuss it openly when we felt we were ready, without either of us feeling pressured. It''s a very important decision, and I wanted us to take it together.

A few months later, after 26 months of relationship, he started talking about proposing. We''re getting engaged this year, I''m thinking around our third anniversary. I''m hoping, anyway!
2.gif

It''s always important to be able to communicate openly with your SO. And fights are healthy from time to time! Express yourself, speak your mind. I hope that helps! Good luck!
9.gif

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone and thank you for the big welcome here and, of course, the advice - I do appreciate it.

Sky: I do want to get married some day.... but to him. I am 28 years old and he is 36 years old so you would think that as his age at least he would want to discuss our future together. He once said that if he experiences everything now, what will there be in the future to enjoy? This made some sence to me, but not anymore when it comes to OUR future!

Wren & Sky: We are very open in our relationship, we are quite compatiable, never met anyone with our type of relationship, is this healthy though? I don''t know...
Wren: We never, and I mean never argue about any, even little thing!

As far as going to the grocery store - we do all of our shopping together
9.gif
, we share the cleaning of the house, we both have other outside activities that we do alone... we have a great time together. We are like roomates (we live together) with the benefits of a relationship!
21.gif
I am not "scared" of anything with him, he is just such a laid back person that what would be big things to other (which causes an argument) is not to us. I figure life it too short to squabble.

ChickFlick: We have talked about children and neither I or him wants them, at all! For different reasons though. Him: Committment to a kid, me, I like our relationship the way it is and feel that children changes the relationship forever... I am content on where I am.

Mandarine: I am your age and so agree with you that at this age we do need to know what the future holds. I have what I need in life now as far as a professional job, and all the other "upper scale" stuff for a 28 year old ... all but the knowledge of what the one I love thinks...

Anchor: Congrats
36.gif
on your near engagement! That''s awesome for you! Yeah!

You guys have been SO GREAT with your words... I, again am SO nervous to bring it up... should I bring it up at home while watching the tv or out to dinner ? Not dinner huh? I feel like I am preparing for something huge here.. I don''t want him to get pushed away on my thoughts though.. like if he was planning to marry me but now the "date" is pushed back even more so because I mentioned it? I heard that if you push men, they push away... I don''t think that would be the case because he is so not like that but you never know.. heck, I am here talking to you great people because .... "Hey, I just don''t know" ... Thank you.,

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Patchee,

I think the other girls have given you a lot of good advice.

Regarding talking to him, I''d try to do it sometime when it''s just the two of you and you have a lot of time if you need it. My first conversation about marriage with my boyfriend was over much of a 4-hour car ride, with just the two of us in the car. Just a warning though -- if you feel that either of you might get emotional, I''d try to have the talk in private and NOT behind the wheel of a car. Also, men can get rather distracted by TVs, so doing it in front of the TV might not be the best approach.

In regards to pushing him, I don''t think that this talk would be at all pushing him. You''ve been together long enough that you deserve to be able to speak to him about what you want for your future. If you had been with him a month and decided that you needed to talk to him about it, that could be pushing. If he has stated that he doesn''t believe in the institution of marriage, you could be pushing. (Although in the second case, it would be very useful to know why he thinks that.)

Good luck talking to him! And with things like this (for me at least), the hardest part is generally just starting the conversation.

Blenheim

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Blen- starting the conversation is the hardest part... I feel that. Thanks for your thoughts, I am, I really am going to discuss this with him.. and I will let you''s know how it goes.

After reading what you wrote I think I am afraid of him saying, no I don''t want that type of committment.. I will be crushed and forced to make some changes in my life. I am happy with our situation as it is but I should not be denied the shot to marry someone either!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
If he doesn''t want to commit to a child as a parent, he may not want to commit to a woman in marriage. It may not be the case for your boyfriend, but then again it might.

Good luck for your talk!!

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
Ouch anchor, I been thinking that.. child/committment

I had to beg to get a cat and I am the sole supporter and care giver of the cat...

see where my place is tougher then some other situations?

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
coming in a bit late here but....

So you are 28 - is your guy the same age or older or younger? I think that makes a difference too.
If he is your age or younger -- some guys need to "grow up" to realize that they really DO want a commitment.
If he is older -- I''m sorry to say that I think he may be telling you what he thinks already (i.e. he doesn''t want ANY commitments) Especially if he is a lot older than you -- he has lived his life how HE wants and is probably set in his ways and might view commitment as something that would hold him back from having the life he wants.

And you know -- living together as boyfriend/girlfriend is GREAT. I have been with my bf for 8ish years. We live in the same duplex since Jan 05 and have just recently (as in late last year) decided that marriage was something that we both actually wanted. Prior to that both of us were completely happy with our relationship the way it is and never really had marriage in our heads as a possible destination for our relationship.
Just like the other gals mentioned - almost any relationship is ok as long as both parties want the same thing.

From your posts you sound like you have made the decision that marriage is in fact what you want - you owe it to yourself to find out if he wants the same thing. If he doesn''t want the same thing - or if you aren''t able to let him know what it is that you want then the relationship is going to get unbalanced and in most cases unhealthy.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders -- and I wish you luck on the "conversation"!! I know it can be very difficult to bring something like this up. What I did (an actually my bf did it too but I didn''t notice at first!) was start mentioning whenever your friends/family are getting engaged or married -- bring it up and see how he responds and what his comments are. Opens it up to a nice general conversation about each other''s views on marriage which then hopefully blends into a "what do you think about US and MARRIAGE" conversation without you putting it all out there on the line in the first sentence!! Who knows - maybe he has been thinking about it himself and you bringing it up will launch a whole new era of your relationship! But you won''t know for sure until you talk about it - and trust me not knowing is WAY worse than possibly ending the relationship.

Let us know how it goes!

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
coming in a bit late here but....

Thanks for posting, I appreciate anything on the way of advice!
So you are 28 - is your guy the same age or older or younger? I think that makes a difference too.

He is 36 - yep, you heard it right, 36 years old with NO BAGGAGE what so ever...
If he is your age or younger -- some guys need to "grow up" to realize that they really DO want a commitment.
If he is older -- I''m sorry to say that I think he may be telling you what he thinks already (i.e. he doesn''t want ANY commitments) Especially if he is a lot older than you -- he has lived his life how HE wants and is probably set in his ways and might view commitment as something that would hold him back from having the life he wants.

Just what I was afraid of and thinking about but it makes me mad when ok, cannot commit to the cats or kids, but your suppose to love me .. and I am put on that list too?
And you know -- living together as boyfriend/girlfriend is GREAT. I have been with my bf for 8ish years. We live in the same duplex since Jan 05 and have just recently (as in late last year) decided that marriage was something that we both actually wanted. Prior to that both of us were completely happy with our relationship the way it is and never really had marriage in our heads as a possible destination for our relationship.
Just like the other gals mentioned - almost any relationship is ok as long as both parties want the same thing.

Congrats to you, sounds like you''ve been on a "happy road" yeah! I love the relationship that we have and yes, I want to marry some day, but just knowing that he may not want to marry me makes me think, why be with me then.... even if we have a great relationship... can''t be that great on a "one way street"!
From your posts you sound like you have made the decision that marriage is in fact what you want - you owe it to yourself to find out if he wants the same thing. If he doesn''t want the same thing - or if you aren''t able to let him know what it is that you want then the relationship is going to get unbalanced and in most cases unhealthy.

Your right... unhealthy.. bottled up emotions, then thinking ... he will never want you so what are you doing here with him...
38.gif

Thank you for responding!

bobacha

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the club Patchee..

I''m new here too and most of the time I just lurk around.. :D

I agree with Skylah that it''s important for both of you to be on the same page about the future.. even if he doesn''t plan to get married in 1-2 years.. does he plan to in 4-5 years ? or is it out of the question for him?

You already invested more than 2 years of your time in this.. so it''s time to do the talk ..

I like Cailet''s idea about mentioning friends or relatives'' weddings or engagements.. and just see what kind of comments he has.. Do you know of anybody''s who''s just getting engaged or just got married ?

For me personally we knew from the beginning (6 years ago) that marriage is what we''re going for.. but when ? He''s always avoided this question until recently ;-) So my struggle was a little bit different.. he always said "YEah Yeah.. but I''m not ready now", "A couple more years", "A couple more years", and we''re on our 7th year now..

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I just posted this to a member named Kissy...but I''m soft of in the same boat as you in terms of age group ME: 29 HE: 36...please read on...

I can also relate - it''s frustrating and sometimes very sad. I''ve been waiting 3 years and 3 months. I''m 29 so I figure the timing is about right...he is 36 yrs.
My family and friends constantly ask me...WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GETTING engaged! I just want to scream when they ask me this. LIKE I WOULD KNOW!!!! I''m waiting very patiently and I know it will be worth it but sometimes it''s hard to stay positive. I also feel mad sometimes that it''s the guys decision when I have to work and do everything else a man would do from day to day. I love my boyfriend so much and the wait is worth it but GOOD GOLLY - I''m hoping it will be soon....another year from now I will prob. have 4 more wrinkles on my forehead from frowning!
I sometimes wish that I was more like Samantha from Sex and the City - no intention to tie the knot...it would make life so much easier!
Good luck - I''m crossing my fingers for you!

Ries

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results