shape
carat
color
clarity

New Green Tourmaline from Finewater

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, let''s set the stage. 4.39ct green tourmaline from Finewater. Super fast shipping, and Gary is always so pleasant to deal with. We found out he used to be my neighbor! (within 15 miles) Too bad he moved away
39.gif

These are vendor pictures.

Loose Gem Seller Pictures7.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
First impression -

I torn the package open right at the P.O. counter - couldn''t wait. When I first saw the tourmaline, I went like "what color is this?!" I was totally expecting a minty green, but it really has a yellowish green from many viewing angels.

UnEdited3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a stone I thought was a minty green from Gary from the pics, but it was much darker like yours. Are you planning on keeping it? I returned mine because while it was still a pretty stone, it wasn't what I wanted. I was also picturing something more minty and light. Gary was extremely gracious about the return and he was a delight to work with. He also offerred me some other options. It's a bit dark, but you might like that.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
OMG that is heavenly!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Is it two toned?? How does it look like outdoors??

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
That is so beautiful!!!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I played with it all day long and even took it into my office. There are clearly two green colors from the two axis - blue green and yellowish green. I had the incorrect expectation on apple green - I thought that would be minty, but it could also be a little yellowish. I emailed Gary and he, as sweet as always, suggested that I check it out in different lighting. So I did.

That evening I put this baby on my kitchen counter on purpose. (after the kids were in bed of course) I busied myself in the kitchen but peeked at the tourmaline from time to time. It glowed in the soft light and was so bright (and big)

Here are some pictures taken during day time, as you can clearly see the two green tones. I also put it side-by-side with my blue-green tourmaline for comparison.

UnEdited4.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I popped it in the only mounting I''ve got to get a side view. Sorry to Malaya, the true owner of this home.

UnEdited5.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Some pretentious hand shots. Are you tired of seeing it?

UnEdited6.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! What a great size, it will truly make a statement ring! I think the colors are stunning, I''m glad this ring went to a PS home
1.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This gives an idea about how dark it can get.

UnEdited7.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 12:35:31 AM
Author: yingh
Ok... I love the stone, especially in that picture. It cut is really pretty..
36.gif
36.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Last one - some fun with Playmobil!

What do you all think? I still haven''t decided yet. It is very yummy and will make a stunning ring. Just not sure about the occasional dark tone.
32.gif
32.gif

UnEdited8.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
If I am going to keep it, I am thinking of something like this. With the head altered to fit the emerald shape of course, and do double claw prongs.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yingh, I love the color of your stone and I am so glad you are going to keep it. It is a wonderful size too. I also love the setting you are going to get for it. It really sparkles too. It is a beauty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s beautiful, even when it''s darker. But if you don''t love it...

And I can see why you''d have some disappointment. The picture shows it as being much lighter than it looks in real life.

Great size though.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I love it! It''s a bit on the dark side, but it can really make a stunning ring!

Darkness effect can be reduced by applying some yellow gold to the shank, or something - somewhere where it could be seen next to the stone. Going all white (metal) would make it even darker (not to mention that all gems get a bit darker once set, regardless of metal), and going all yellow would probably make it more...peridotish. And if you would''ve wanted a peridot, you probably wouldn''t by a tourmaline. So I''m voting for something with both white and yellow gold. It''s color(s), shape, size and faceting IMO call for something modern, simple, yet daring, as it''s got a potential to make a striking statement (love the double claw prongs idea). I''m not sure about the setting you suggested, as the ring would probably turn and flip a lot, with such a large stone on a relatively thin shank. Maybe a split shank or something similar would be a better idea.

Hope this helps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you hadn't seen Gary's pictures and somebody gave you the gemstone how would you feel about it? Sometimes our expectations get in the way of seeing a really beautiful gemstone! Yes, it is darker than Gary's photos BUT you've said it sparkles and I adore the photos of it on your hand. Actually (and sorry to Malaya) but I'd be tempted to set it in that mount - I love the large central stone and delicate shoulders.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 12:41:20 AM
Last one - some fun with Playmobil!

What do you all think? I still haven't decided yet. It is very yummy and will make a stunning ring. Just not sure about the occasional dark tone.
32.gif
32.gif
Yingh,
If a tourmaline turns too dark in certain lighting, I always return it. However, that's me, it might be that there are other factors in play here that make you want to keep it. I personally don't like overly dark stones, tourmalines included. Some people on the other hand don't mind them. Just my opinion, because it is a lot of $$, and it's something you may want to reconsider.

I recently bought a tourmaline from a vendor that people were oohing and ahing over. I'm not going to say which vendor, but it was bought up in a heartbeat. I actually bought that stone prior to the release of it on a drop. It turned almost black in sunlight, although it had a velvety color in artificial light, like yours. That really bugged me. It was posted here in PS.

In any case, it was a lot of money per carat, but that extinction really bothered me. One of the criteria that I have for buying stones is that they shouldn't go extinct in specific lighting. Again, JMO, because you seem on the fence. I just want you to be completely 100% happy with your purchase. I had absolutely no regrets with returning that stone.

BTW, I think the tourmaline square at the bottom of Gary's tourmaline page is more of a minty green (that's what he told me at one point).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow... pretty stone! But certainly not what I was expecting from the photo either.

If it were me, I would probably return. It was not an inexpensive stone and I think the darkness would bother me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It look like half of the tourmline is going extinct in certain lighting. I''ve seen many tourmalines do this and personally, I can''t handle this while others don''t mind this quality. This stone is a good size and not inexpensive. Take your time to play around and think rationally.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 12:35:31 AM

Pretentious?? Mais Non! It''s good to see the scale! I really like the color of this stone--love the size and shape too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 12:00:07 PM
Author: Chrono
It look like half of the tourmline is going extinct in certain lighting. I''ve seen many tourmalines do this and personally, I can''t handle this while others don''t mind this quality. This stone is a good size and not inexpensive. Take your time to play around and think rationally.
Yes, me as well. I think this also shows vendors that they need to take more accurate pictures of their stones. A picture can be gorgeous, but if it doesn''t represent the said stone, what is the point of any pictures at all.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely loved the vendor''s pictures but I must say that I do agree with you that it looks dark. It wasn''t an inexpensive purchase - I say get one that you absolutely love everything about even if it takes a while.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for offering your opinions. This is such a hard call. I don''t think the extinction of this tourm, if any, is worse than any fine cut color stones of similar types. Its color is just LOVELY in many lighting conditions, as you can see from these new pictures I took today. I just wish it will always stay this color.

UnEdited12.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Frankly speaking, if it didn''t carry such a price tag, I would have made up my mind easily - just keep it. With this one, I really want to make sure that I won''t regret my decision, either way.
31.gif
I think I will give myself another day and make up my mind. Please continue to share your thoughts! Thanks!

UnEdited13.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
TL, since you are such an expert, can you please tell me if my expectation is too high - by wanting it to stay the lighter color?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:55:15 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I absolutely loved the vendor''s pictures but I must say that I do agree with you that it looks dark. It wasn''t an inexpensive purchase - I say get one that you absolutely love everything about even if it takes a while.
Ditto this! I do love the colour, though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you loud and clear. I had the same exact dillema with the other tourmaline I purchased. It was a velvety blue/green in incadescent light, but completely turned black in sunlight. Tourmalines that are valuable actually hold their color in both kinds of light, or at the very least, they don''t go extinct in both kinds of light. Richard Wise talks about this in his book about tourmalines. I suspect that the stone doesn''t have an open C-axis, and that''s why it looks darker perhaps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 9:05:46 PM
TL, since you are such an expert, can you please tell me if my expectation is too high - by wanting it to stay the lighter color?
IMHO, I think the price per carat is too high for the color of the stone. I know Gary and the other cutters charge a premium for their cutting, but it's around $200/ct, right? In that case, I would return it. I also bought a spinel which I talked about in another thread. It looked great in fluorescent light and turned muddy grey in other light, so I returned it. I think for $200/ct, you should expect to find a tourmaline with an open c-axis that is bright and lively in all light sources.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results