shape
carat
color
clarity

New EVS Designs Ring and The Proposal (w/ Pics)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
Long time since I posted on this forum, and a very long time since I’ve posted an update about my own ring, but I wanted to return here to give a final update about the ring and the proposal. Everyone on RT was such a huge help during this process that I thought that I owed it to you all to post some eye-candy here. :) I also wanted to post a review about the designer than I ended up going with for the custom bezel setting, Eric at EVS Designs, as he knocked it out of the park and was an absolute pleasure to work with.

As some of you know who had been following my original thread, I ordered a bezel-set solitaire ring from James Allen with a G/VS1 AGS0 diamond. After delivery I initially liked the diamond, but after looking at it for about two weeks there were a few things that bugged me about the ring:

1.) The bezel was slighting thicker on one side and the diamond was too high
2.) There seemed to be a visible tint to the diamond, especially in indoor lighting

I realize that it may seem silly to many forum members to be worried about the tint in a G color diamond, but it was very prominent to me. I realize that I am extremely color sensitive, as looking at colors is part of my job, but I wanted to make sure the diamond would be white from all angles. So I went back to the drawing board and started looking for lower-set bezel rings along with diamonds in the colorless range. Below is a synopsis of the path to the new ring, which I will split up into three sections: The diamond, the ring, and a separate post for the proposal with pictures. I’ve included more detail on the setting design, as that was the coolest and most rewarding part of the process to me. :)

The Diamond
As mentioned above, I went back to the drawing board with the diamond search, adjusting my ideal criteria to the D/E color and VS1/2 clarity ranges. Won’t bore you too much with the details here, but I decided on a diamond with the following specs:

Grading Lab: GIA
Carat Weight: 0.91
Measurements: 6.22X6.23X3.85
Color: D
Clarity: VS2 (crystal as the only listed inclusion)
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: M/ST (3.5%)
Depth: 61.90%
Table: 56.00%
Crown Angle: 35.00
Pavilion Angle: 40.80
Star: 50%
LGH: 75%

The diamond was absolutely beautiful, and exactly what I was looking for: An H&A colorless diamond without any eye-visible inclusions. There are only a few clear/white crystals, which are completely invisible to the naked eye. Heck, I even have trouble finding them with a 10X loupe.

The Ring and EVS Designs

After deciding to return the original ring, I spent quite a bit of time looking for new low-set, cathedral shank bezel setting. As some of you already know, my (now) fiancée is a medical student and will soon be a doctor, so having a setting that wouldn’t catch on gloves while still looking timeless and elegant was the #1 priority. However, none of the off-the-shelf bezel ring designs were quite what I was looking for. Either a.) The diamond was set too high b.) The bezel was chunky and/or c.) The shank didn’t look quite right. Thus, I decided to go the custom route. This is when I contacted Eric at EVS Designs.

http://www.evsdesigns.store/index.html

I previously worked with him on one previous smaller project (a pair of earring jackets) and was blown away with his level of responsiveness, attentiveness, and attention to detail even on such a small order. By the time I contacted him for the E-ring, I pretty much knew exactly what I wanted in the ring design, and had (poorly) drawn a schematic by hand.

As with the prior project, he responded within a few hours and told me that he would have a CAD ready for me the next day. The original CAD came back almost exactly how I had envisioned it in my mind, except that it was actually a bit too low and the shank profile was a little off. I asked him to make a few minor adjustments (raise the diamond by .3-.4mm and adjust the shank profile) and he had the revision to me the day after, which was absolutely perfect. I gave him the go-ahead to begin the casting process, and he had the ring set and ready to go within a week of receiving the diamond. Below are the pictures that he sent me of the ring before shipping it off:

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

As you can see from the side profile, the diamond is set as low as possible while still showing the entire side profile view and leaving room for a plain wedding band to sit flush with the ring and not hit the diamond. This ring is 1.5mm lower than the ring from James Allen (4.6mm vs 6.1mm) despite being a slightly larger diamond. The bezel on this ring is also the perfect thickness. It is sturdy yet refined at the same time.

As with the previous project, working with Eric was one of the best shopping experiences I’ve had. He has a gift for taking your vision and turning it into reality with the least possible effort on your part. I has pretty astonished that he was able to take my terribly drawn pen sketch and turn it into perfection within a span of 2 CADs and 2 days. And best of all, his price for the custom setting in platinum was almost exactly the same as the price of the James Allen setting at 25% off ($770 for his custom setting vs $750 for the JA bezel). Honestly, I wish I had just gone with him for the original setting, as it would have saved me a lot of hassle with the return process. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. J I know that he will be my go-to person for all of our future jewelry purchases.

After receiving the new ring, which was even more beautiful in person than the photos he sent me, all that was left to do was wait for the proposal.

The Proposal (And hand shots):
I'm not going to go into too much detail here, as I prefer to keep this special moment between us. We did not take any pictures of the proposal, as it was only the two of us. I'll just say that I proposed at night on a secluded beach while we were visiting her hometown. Needless to say, it was the best moment of my life to date, but I imagine that it will be tied or surpassed by our wedding day and the birth of our future children of course.

So without further ado, here are a few pics.

Hand Shot 1.jpg
Hand Shot 2.jpg

She loves it, and I love that she loves it, which is really all that matters. :)

In closing, I'd like to thank everyone here on PS for helping me to navigate the world of diamonds and engagement rings. This ring is symbolic of the closing of our separate lives and the beginning of our life together, and I'm happy to have shared this process with you all. :)

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! I wish you both all the best. And that ring is simply stunning! No fuss, all beauty. :love:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool story and journey. Congratulations to you and the future Mrs!

The diamond and overall ring looks gorgeous!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!!! The ring looks more beautiful on HER!! It was most certainly “made” for her!!!
Lovely story & sentiment!!
Please post more photos, and include shots from the wedding!! It will be nice to see shots of your hands, together, with both your ring & hers!!! :kiss2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your story with us, complete with pics!! Congrats!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful and I'm happy for you both that you were able to secure both a diamond and a setting that you love. Best wishes as you begin your life together and thanks for sharing this final ring with us!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautiful! Congrats on your engagement!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! Diamond is WOWZA WHITE and setting is streamlined and modern, while classically elegant. Congratulations on your engagement!

What band will she pair with it? (those crazy PS members... always thinking ahead to the next project! HA!) ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. ummm... we're gonna need waaaayyyy more pics of every angle of this ring. ;-)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:clap:Thank you for sharing your story with us. The ring is perfect and I am so happy for you that she loves it too!!! Congratulations!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! I wish you both all the best. And that ring is simply stunning! No fuss, all beauty. :love:

Thank you! She is all about the no-fuss lifestyle. Doctors ain't got time for fuss. :mrgreen:
Very lovely I must admit I also prefer the look of super white diamonds. The simple setting is perfect.

I realized after spending time with the different colors that I also prefer the super-white (D-E) diamonds. Granted, I think that every color of diamond is beautiful in its own right, but there's something about that complete translucence and full-spectrum sparkle of a high color diamond with decent clarity that really sets them apart.
Very cool story and journey. Congratulations to you and the future Mrs!

The diamond and overall ring looks gorgeous!

Thanks, and congrats to you as well! I was away for 3 weeks for the trip to my fiancee's hometown, so I missed the final reveal of the ring on your thread. I just went back and looked at the pics though. It turned out perfectly!
Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!!! The ring looks more beautiful on HER!! It was most certainly “made” for her!!!
Lovely story & sentiment!!
Please post more photos, and include shots from the wedding!! It will be nice to see shots of your hands, together, with both your ring & hers!!! :kiss2:

It definitely does look better on her, but I think she makes everything look better. :) (OK, enough of the sappy stuff :mrgreen:).

The wedding won't be for at least a year or two, but I'll definitely come back and post the dual hand shots if I remember haha.
Congratulations!

Thanks!
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your story with us, complete with pics!! Congrats!!

Sharing the pics is the least I could do. I know that's what everyone here lives for. :mrgreen:
The ring is beautiful and I'm happy for you both that you were able to secure both a diamond and a setting that you love. Best wishes as you begin your life together and thanks for sharing this final ring with us!

Thanks for the kind words. We're excited to begin the journey. :)
It turned out beautiful! Congrats on your engagement!!!

Thanks!
Very cool! Diamond is WOWZA WHITE and setting is streamlined and modern, while classically elegant. Congratulations on your engagement!

What band will she pair with it? (those crazy PS members... always thinking ahead to the next project! HA!) ;-)

Yes, it is blindingly white. I swear it produces its own light source through some sort of chemiluminescence, because it seems to glow even in the dimmest of rooms. :mrgreen:

Band will be a plain band that matches the shank of the E-ring (2.2mm and slightly rounded profile). She already said she wants the simplest and lowest-maintenance set possible. Perhaps down the road she'll consider an anniversary band, but for now the E-ring will take center stage.

:clap:Thank you for sharing your story with us. The ring is perfect and I am so happy for you that she loves it too!!! Congratulations!

You're welcome. It's the least I could do after all the help and information I gained from this site. And I am happy that she loves it too. :)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes for a healthy, happy and long life together. Your diamond and setting are outstanding! Thanks for coming back and posting about your process and the final ring, and for introducing us to a new ring designer. Cheers!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is blindingly white. I swear it produces its own light source through some sort of chemiluminescence, because it seems to glow even in the dimmest of rooms. :mrgreen:

Band will be a plain band that matches the shank of the E-ring (2.2mm and slightly rounded profile). She already said she wants the simplest and lowest-maintenance set possible. Perhaps down the road she'll consider an anniversary band, but for now the E-ring will take center stage.

Sounds like a classic set! That diamond POPS!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your hard work, you came up with a gorgeous ring. It looks like she loves it!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treescientist you might have to change your name to Ring Designer:D. That profile is amazing!!! Congratulations on your engagement!!

Please post some more pics.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You did an outstanding job!:appl: The ring is gorgeous and I am sure she was thrilled! Congrats!!!!
Thanks!
Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes for a healthy, happy and long life together. Your diamond and setting are outstanding! Thanks for coming back and posting about your process and the final ring, and for introducing us to a new ring designer. Cheers!
Always happy to spread the word about excellent companies and products to others. I haven't seen anyone post about EVS on here before (even though he has quite a following on Etsy), so I thought I would spread the word to the PS community. :)
Congratulations on your hard work, you came up with a gorgeous ring. It looks like she loves it!
Thanks. It was a lot of hard work, but she is worth it. :)
Treescientist you might have to change your name to Ring Designer:D. That profile is amazing!!! Congratulations on your engagement!!

Please post some more pics.
The profile is my favorite part of the ring. One of the best I've seen on a bezel setting. But of course, credit goes to Eric and his bench for the amazing design and craftsmanship. I just provided the idea and rough sketch.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! and congratulations on your engagement. :appl:

Q

Queenie60

Simply beautiful. Congratulations. And way to go - spending so much time and effort to get it just right. Lucky lady!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring! Love the setting! I’ve always wondered how getting a stone from one vendor, and a setting from another one works.
Someone please explain!!!!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I extra puffy-heart her ring. It is timeless, perfectly set, and GORGEOUSLY white!!! No tint to be seen on that baby at all! Congratulations, and best wishes for a very happy marriage!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Love the setting! I’ve always wondered how getting a stone from one vendor, and a setting from another one works.

Mine was easy. Ordered stone from BGD and paid them. They stored in their vault. When I finished the design process on the setting with DK I had BGD ship the stone directly to DK. They confirmed receipt and inspected on my behalf and then set the main stone in the setting. Once complete they then shipped the final product to me overnight.

Outside the fact I had a unique design for my girl, it wasn't too bad. The coordination between BGD and DK eas rather seamless and easily handled over the phone.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! and congratulations on your engagement. :appl:
Thanks my fellow watch-lover. :)
Simply beautiful. Congratulations. And way to go - spending so much time and effort to get it just right. Lucky lady!
I am the lucky one. :)
I extra puffy-heart her ring. It is timeless, perfectly set, and GORGEOUSLY white!!! No tint to be seen on that baby at all! Congratulations, and best wishes for a very happy marriage!
Thank you. I immediately got that feeling of "This is the one" when I saw it for the first time. I did not have that with the JA ring, so I'm glad I made the switch.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine was easy. Ordered stone from BGD and paid them. They stored in their vault. When I finished the design process on the setting with DK I had BGD ship the stone directly to DK. They confirmed receipt and inspected on my behalf and then set the main stone in the setting. Once complete they then shipped the final product to me overnight.

Outside the fact I had a unique design for my girl, it wasn't too bad. The coordination between BGD and DK eas rather seamless and easily handled over the phone.

Just as an FYI before I answer that question @babs23r, EVS designs can source just about any diamond listed on the modified drop-ship websites (Like James Allen and Blue Nile) and Eric can usually get you a better price than what it is listed for on those websites. ;-) Very similar to working with ID Jewelry in that regard. So if you wanted to buy a setting from him and are interested in a diamond listed on the open market, then I would recommend going through him.

But to elaborate on what @sledge already posted, if you want to order a diamond from one vendor and have it set by another designer, then there are two options:

a.) Have the diamond sent directly from the supplying vendor to the designer OR
b.) Have the diamond sent to you first, and then send the diamond to the designer yourself.

There are pros and cons for each method. The obvious pro of having the diamond sent directly to the designer is it saves you time and hassle on the front end. No extra work on your part. But the con is that, if you end up not liking the diamond after it is set and want to switch to another diamond, then returning it can become a major hassle. Who do you send the ring to for the switch? The diamond supplier or the designer? If the diamond supplier, then they would likely charge you a resetting fee of a few hundred dollars since it's not their ring, and it would likely void any warranty on the setting from the designer.

Having the diamond sent to you first allows you to view it in person to make sure you like how it looks IRL before committing to having it set, but the obvious con in this scenario is that it takes more time and you would then need to pay insured shipping to the designer yourself.

Both can be good options, and different vendors are usually pretty good about cooperating with each other in situations like this. But it's definitely not as straightforward as sourcing the diamond and setting from the same vendor.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as an FYI before I answer that question @babs23r, EVS designs can source just about any diamond listed on the modified drop-ship websites (Like James Allen and Blue Nile) and Eric can usually get you a better price than what it is listed for on those websites. ;-) Very similar to working with ID Jewelry in that regard. So if you wanted to buy a setting from him and are interested in a diamond listed on the open market, then I would recommend going through him.

But to elaborate on what @sledge already posted, if you want to order a diamond from one vendor and have it set by another designer, then there are two options:

b.) Have the diamond sent to you first, and then send the diamond to the designer yourself.

There are pros and cons for each method. The obvious pro of having the diamond sent directly to the designer is it saves you time and hassle on the front end. No extra work on your part. But the con is that, if you end up not liking the diamond after it is set and want to switch to another diamond, then returning it can become a major hassle. Who do you send the ring to for the switch? The diamond supplier or the designer? If the diamond supplier, then they would likely charge you a resetting fee of a few hundred dollars since it's not their ring, and it would likely void any warranty on the setting from the designer.

Having the diamond sent to you first allows you to view it in person to make sure you like how it looks IRL before committing to having it set, but the obvious con in this scenario is that it takes more time and you would then need to pay insured shipping to the designer yourself.

Both can be good options, and different vendors are usually pretty good about cooperating with each other in situations like this. But it's definitely not as straightforward as sourcing the diamond and setting from the same vendor.

As usual @TreeScientist makes some good points.

One thing I might add is that in my scenario I chose a super ideal and had loads of info to analyze ahead of time. It doesn't always mean you will like what you buy but the odds are much higher you will be pleased.

@TreeScientist ended up with a GIA XXX stone sourced through virtual inventory. And looking at the pics, etc it appears he found a unicorn of beauty. However, it is harder to shop this way due to lack of images and video available prior to buying. Many times you are lucky to get an Idealscope image and rarely do you see an ASET or H&A image, if ever, unless the vendor you buy from takes an image after the stone arrives or you use your own scopes. Not to mention how GIA uses funky averaging and rounding for their angles and percentage values meaning actual cut may vary quite a bit from expected cut if you are looking solely at that data.

To be clear, I am NOT knocking GIA XXX stones via virtual inventory. I just believe it to be a harder and more frustrating process with more risk because you don't always have complete data to make your decision. I know a lot about making life/death decisions with imperfect information, and while good at it I don't prefer a similar experience for diamond shopping. But that is my personal experience and one of the reasons I chose super ideal.

If I were to go the other route I would want to inspect the diamond loose and have to plan the time and expense to do so. Although it wouldn't be too bad. The diamond could ship while you do the design. Normally it takes more than 2 days. And for a modest fee you can send to the designer via insured carrier. Also I'd probably start a separate jewelry insurance policy earlier in the process.

Again, I commend @TreeScientist for sharing his journey and for picking a stellar stone and setting. Realizing the struggles associated with his method helps me appreciate it all a smidge more than the easier route I took.

Kudos buddy! :cool2:

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Wonderful story and such a beautiful ring. So classic and elegant...timeless!! Congratulations!!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you. I understand the process better now. There are definitely pros and cons for using more than one vendor.
I guess if you fall in love with a particular setting? For me, I would prefer going with the same vendor, but that EVS setting is beautiful!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wonderful story and such a beautiful ring. So classic and elegant...timeless!! Congratulations!!
Thank you for the kind words. :)
Thank you. I understand the process better now. There are definitely pros and cons for using more than one vendor.
I guess if you fall in love with a particular setting? For me, I would prefer going with the same vendor, but that EVS setting is beautiful!

If you're interested in EVS but are considering an in-house diamond, then it would definitely still be worth it to inquire with EVS. He can accommodate stones from other vendors, and his prices for custom will likely be much less than what most other in-house diamond supplier will quote you for the setting. :) My post above was just meant to outline the options available if you decide to go that route.

Everyone's situation is different, and it is certainly not a bad option to send the diamond directly to the designer if you're sure of your choice. But unless your situation necessitates sending the diamond directly to the designer, I still think it would be best to view the diamond in person prior to committing to setting it. The main reason is because no two diamonds are exactly alike. Two diamonds that are nearly identical on paper can still look vastly different in person. Heck, in the past few months we've seen so many posts comparing the SuperIdeal lines (Brian Gavin Signature/Black vs WF ACA vs CBI), with many people seeming to prefer one brand over the others, that it just seems prudent to view them prior to committing. Even within the same lines, there could be a wide variation in the appearance of the diamonds depending on the geometry. I think the one exception would be CBIs, as I've noticed they cut within an extremely narrow range of angles and would likely be the most "consistent" in their appearance. For both BG and WF, their CAs, PAs, tables, etc. span the entire ranges of what most on this site consider ideal, and you may prefer one geometrical configuration to the other (lower/higher crown, larger/smaller table, etc.).

All of the in-house SuperIdeal vendors offer excellent in-home viewing/return options (like HPDs See it to believe it program for CBIs), so it makes sense to take advantage of such programs if you're paying a premium for an in-house stone.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results