shape
carat
color
clarity

New engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
H

hlpkaixin3344

Hi everyone. I was very surprised and happy to be proposed to on Christmas. I''ll have to post good shots when I catch up from everything. However, almost immediately I noticed that on the bottom of the band there was tiny pits and a couple of scrapes most likely where the ring was sized down to fit after being sent from the designer. So I decided to bring the ring in (to Jareds) to ask about it. The SA said the ring needed to be repolished and possibly re-rhodiumed. Now in my head I''m thinking it''s brand new, why all the work?! I said I don''t want the band polished down at all. It''s delicate and I don''t want it too thin. Of course this being my new ring I''m really nervous. Am I needlessly stressing? It scares me that the jeweler already showed some shoddy craftsmanship IMO. The SA acted like this was a common problem (which also scared me) Also, there are several bead set melee diamonds. The replating/polishing shouldn''t be a problem for them should it? Help guys!
face24.gif

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
My first setting was white gold, and I had it sized. After sizing, I needed to have it repolished and re rhodium plated right away, as it was pretty noticeably yellow. Within the next few months I changed my setting to a palladium setting to get rid of the hassle of white gold (for me, it was a problem). From what I understand, white gold will need to be replated throughout its life, depending on many factors.

You could take it to an independent jeweler who does their own bench work to have the repolishing and replating done if you are worried about the craftsmanship of the previous jeweler. Depending on where the bead set diamonds are, an experienced jeweler should be able to do the work needed with no problems.

I was upset too when my brand new ring needed all that work. But I wouldn''t stress about it. With proper upkeep and love, it should be fine.

É

étoile

Thank you. I think I just needed reassurance. I have hardly worn it with all the baking and hand intensive stuff I had to do for the holiday, so to see the scrapes and pits was...well the pits! I''ve seen some jeweler horror stories on here and am prob. too wound up about it but when in doubt I always look to everyone here.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I Know the feeling. I expected my engagement ring to be perfect! I saw every flaw that was on that thing, my new one included! The longer I wear mine, the more I realize how durable it is. Mine is a 6 prong solitaire, so I only have 1 stone to worry about, but just wear it in good health and take care of it!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 11:12:30 AM
Author:étoile
Hi everyone. I was very surprised and happy to be proposed to on Christmas. I''ll have to post good shots when I catch up from everything. However, almost immediately I noticed that on the bottom of the band there was tiny pits and a couple of scrapes most likely where the ring was sized down to fit after being sent from the designer. So I decided to bring the ring in (to Jareds) to ask about it. The SA said the ring needed to be repolished and possibly re-rhodiumed. Now in my head I''m thinking it''s brand new, why all the work?! I said I don''t want the band polished down at all. It''s delicate and I don''t want it too thin. Of course this being my new ring I''m really nervous. Am I needlessly stressing? It scares me that the jeweler already showed some shoddy craftsmanship IMO. The SA acted like this was a common problem (which also scared me) Also, there are several bead set melee diamonds. The replating/polishing shouldn''t be a problem for them should it? Help guys!
face24.gif
Congratulations on your engagement.

I can''t imagine the repairs will be any issue for the store. I hope they do a great job and you have your ring back asap.

Did you post any pics?

É

étoile

Hi everyone,
Ok so I got to go pickup the ring....it felt like forever, and they bring it out and I inspect it and find a dark discoloration on the inside...like a burn mark and I ask the SA what that was and she didn''t answer. After a moment she said let me have the jeweler repolish it. So after a little bit she brings it back and I look it over. I found 2 very small scratches, a new one near the top of the setting and one near the bottom in the area I needed fixed. I just decided to take the ring. The diamonds look fine and I thought I might scratch the setting some anyway on my own. It would just be nice for any scratches made to be from me. It was replated also and looks whiter and feels heavier.

I''m posting a pic and will try to point it out. I dunno what to do at this point. Would you worry about it?

Ering nick pic.jpg

É

étoile

Oops I forgot to point to it, it''s by the right near the surprise diamond. Looks like the left prong has a tiny nick too. So are my eyes to sharp?! I know girls gaze at their rings so maybe I gazed to hard and keep finding things. I just thought the rings come back from a jewelers close to perfect. Guess that is really really not so.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand why you''re not entirely happy. I got my WG ering resized when it was brand new and it came back spotless - which is what I would expect. I don''t really have any advise except to say it''s a gorgeous looking ring

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I see the scratches, but since you will most definitely be adding to those scratches, I wouldn''t be too wooried about it. Then one by the surprise diamond is sort of more noticeable, though.

É

étoile

Thank you both. I am working on posting my good photos now.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten one of my rings back after replating like this, just a tiny superficial scratch that I could easily find myself doing on my own. It''s frustrating, but unless they truly bother you, I''d just enjoy your ring. (Which is gorgeous, btw!)

É

étoile

Hopefully this works!
emsmile.gif

ering post.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Well I saw the scratch straight away. You could get your knickers in a knot and demand that they polish it out but it seems that some other mishap could befall your ring. If it were me I would be cranky but delighted that my ring was back on my finger before they could paw it anymore with their scratchy mitts.

Your ring is beautiful and you are right; you will scratch it yourself anyway. It would be ideal that you are the one to scratch it, but try not to sweat the small stuff.

É

étoile

Date: 12/28/2009 4:14:13 PM
Author: Steel
Well I saw the scratch straight away. You could get your knickers in a knot and demand that they polish it out but it seems that some other mishap could befall your ring. If it were me I would be cranky but delighted that my ring was back on my finger before they could paw it anymore with their scratchy mitts.

Your ring is beautiful and you are right; you will scratch it yourself anyway. It would be ideal that you are the one to scratch it, but try not to sweat the small stuff.
Thanks, I love it and am relieved it''s back. That might be reason enough for me to not pursue it further because I stressed enough about it today. I don''t want to make it worse, ya know?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 4:21:16 PM
Author: étoile

Thanks, I love it and am relieved it''s back. That might be reason enough for me to not pursue it further because I stressed enough about it today. I don''t want to make it worse, ya know?
Yup, I know.

So tell me. Have you thought about a wedding band or bands?

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, I think this is right.

Your ring will develop a *patina* no matter what, so why worry about it too much? It is more fun to just enjoy it.

É

étoile

Date: 12/28/2009 4:25:37 PM

Yup, I know.

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
A little. I thought maybe a 1/2 eternity. There is a matching band with bead set stones (like on the side of my e-ring) that looks very me. Even this feels like a lot for me. I don''t wear much jewelry. I once mentioned the 2 skinny bands with an e-ring and my fiance looked at me like I was crazy, so that might not be doable.
38.gif

I love stacked rings on other people. I don''t know about me though since I''ve never done it.

É

étoile

Date: 12/28/2009 4:29:38 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Yes, I think this is right.

Your ring will develop a *patina* no matter what, so why worry about it too much? It is more fun to just enjoy it.
Dreamer,
Thanks. I feel like you guys are bringing me down from hyper-worry. Lol. I love your dachsie''s btw! I have known several sweet dachshunds with such personality.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 4:34:49 PM

Date: 12/28/2009 4:25:37 PM

Yup, I know.

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
A little. I thought maybe a 1/2 eternity. There is a matching band with bead set stones (like on the side of my e-ring) that looks very me. Even this feels like a lot for me. I don''t wear much jewelry. I once mentioned the 2 skinny bands with an e-ring and my fiance looked at me like I was crazy, so that might not be doable.
38.gif

I love stacked rings on other people. I don''t know about me though since I''ve never done it.
Well I imagine you are not getting hitched straight away. So you will have plenty of time to get your FI familiar with the idea
11.gif
. Your ring would look great with anything but 2x anythings would be better! haha

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is very pretty! Congrats. . .
1.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, etoile!! Looks great on your finger! I saw the scratches you were seeing, but I think it''s ok. Don''t worry. Yes there are tiny scratches, but you''re gonna scratch up your ring from normal everyday wear. I have lots of little scratches on the bottom of mine and plan to replate it once it''s closer to the wedding. You could do something like that so it''d look newer in pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results