shape
carat
color
clarity

new engagement rin - should I get it sized???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!!!

Terrific forum here - lotsa information!

So I just bought a Tiffany Novo - It''s all wrapped up and locked away in a safety deposit box until I''m ready to propose Aug 1st . Here''s my issue - Tiffany''s standard size is 6...my gf says she is a 7. The SA said that Tiffany can size to even quarter sizes and suggested that we get her sized up after the proposal - he also felt that as the Novo has such a thin band, she may be a smaller size than she believes....

I want to totally surprise her with the proposal - she doesn''t even know that I was ering shopping let alone already purchased the ring! How frustrating would it be if the ring doesn''t fit onto her ring finger - I''m pretty sure she could still wear it on her pinky until it gets resized. I''m not sure that I would want the ring to be resized twice.

If I want to have it resized, then I will have to ship it 4 hours away to downtown Toronto by armoured vehicle - then have it shipped back....whereas if I waited until after the proposal, we could go up to Toronto together - maybe even see a play or something.....All advice or opinions are welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''d just wait after the proposal so you don''t have to do it twice, and the sound of a four hours drive hassle would be enough for me to only want to do it once.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wow, a Tiffany Novo -- she''s a lucky girlfriend! I would say don''t size it beforehand unless you are considering a public proposal, i.e., in front of her family/friends, and you think she might be embarrassed if it doesn''t fit (no one likes to believe they have huge fingers!). But if you''re proposing in a more private way -- just the two of you -- I wouldn''t bother to hassle with sizing it. And the SA is right -- oftentimes people wear a smaller size when the ring shank is very narrow.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 2:10:59 PM
Author: sarap333
Wow, a Tiffany Novo -- she''s a lucky girlfriend! I would say don''t size it beforehand unless you are considering a public proposal, i.e., in front of her family/friends, and you think she might be embarrassed if it doesn''t fit (no one likes to believe they have huge fingers!). But if you''re proposing in a more private way -- just the two of you -- I wouldn''t bother to hassle with sizing it. And the SA is right -- oftentimes people wear a smaller size when the ring shank is very narrow.
I agree. My GF wears a 5-5.5 with a thin band but a 6 with a wider band.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree
27.gif
I would be so sad to get the ring and not be able to wear it right away! I would hate to send it back for resizing and miss it for a week!

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
well she should still be able to at least wear it on her pinky...is this taboo???

Lula

Ideal_Rock
No, it''s not taboo, but this is a surprise, and I think she is going to be very happy about this beautiful ring, and I agree with an earlier poster that it would be hard to give it up for a week to get it sized when you''ve just received it as a surprise. She''ll want to show it off to her friends/family, too. You said she wears a 7 (is this what she told you, what she''s tried on in stores, does she like her rings to fit loose or more tightly?) but this ring may run big since it is so narrow. I guess I''d try to find some way to figure out if a size 6 in a very narrow band would fit on her finger...do you have someone you could trust to take her shopping and convince her to try on some different ring sizes so you can get a better idea if the 6 would at least go over her knuckle?

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
sarapj: no, there is no way i can find out as she is out of the country for a month
7.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that eliminates the stealth shopping trip then! I do like your idea of telling her that you can both go to Toronto to celebrate, see a play, etc., while the ring is re-sized. That way she doesn''t have to be away from her ring too long...

rickster123

Shiny_Rock
I read on another thread a good tip. "Casually" find a cheap ring on the ground ($20 ish) and playfully pretend to give it to her or somehow get her to try it on for grins. Casually discard the ring in front of her since it is a "cracker jack" ring that belongs to someone else. Then you will know the size for your real ring. (Make sure you obviously know the size of the cheap ring in advance)

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
Hi Rick, that''s a great idea but I am not going to be with her for a full month, this is why i was hoping to resize the ring now if it should be done.

How much of a disappointment would it be to have to wear it on her pinky for a few days and then not have it all for a week while it gets resized? Would it ruin the proposal? Is it a serious proposal phopah???

Thanks again! I''m very torn over this now :S

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I would make sure you can go to Toronto the very next day (or same day) for sizing. My ring was way, way too big and I was crushed that I couldn''t wear it on my ring finger even though I got it sized two days later. I think it would be even worse if the ring was too small (it''s never good to make a lady feel "big"). Maybe Toronto can be part of the proposal?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would wait to size it. Too often women think they know their size, only to have it be slightly different once the actual ring is on their finger. Also, she might want to try the ring on with a wedding band to see what size she wants with 2 rings on one finger.

My husband proposed to me with a ring that needed sizing and I specifically wanted for him to wait until I could take it to the jewelery where he bought it. I wore it on my right hand and was content to do so.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Lost-in-Space, No one wants you to be torn! This is an exciting time for you and I think any woman on this forum would be thrilled with the ring you chose and that you are planning a lovely proposal. So focus on that -- she''s going to be so surprised and happy when you do propose. The size issue will get overshadowed by the happy emotions, I think.

You''ve got a few months before August, so there''s time to brainstorm some other ideas. Is there some way you could perhaps send her an inexpensive ring with a narrow band as an "I miss you" present (size 7) to get an idea if that''s really her size?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think Tiffany''s is going to size a ring while you wait. So I think you should have it sized to a size 7 BEFORE you propose, especially since she has told you that is her size. I have a less than 2mm shank on my Leon ring and a 2mm shank on my Tiffany legacy ring and I wear the same size as I wear with any other ring I own. They are a little loose, but once you put the wedding band with it, it''ll fit a little better. I would be upset to be proposed to and not be able to wear the ring and then have to send it off for a few days to be sized.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
That''s true, the ring will fit differently with a wedding band next to it. If you can''t figure out a way to double-check her size before you propose, I guess I''d bite the bullet and send the ring to Toronto to have it sized as a 7. Better to propose with a ring slightly too big than too small, given the feedback you''re getting on this forum!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany will take at least 2 weeks to resize it. I wish there was a way you could know her true size, a decoy ring,. just for fun... Does she have any rings she wears on that finger you can take to get her size??

Women hate parting with it for a day or two, two weeks is like forever. But also know it would be a shame to have it sized and be wrong.. I wish I had better advice for you
5.gif

But will say, I love the NOVO so can''t wait to see it once you propose!!! You have excellent taste!!!
1.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
why didnt you just get a size 7?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with NEL that you might want to wait to be sure that she is *really* a size 7.
I thought I wore a size 7 ring for YEARS. I learned that I really wear a 5.5 when we went shopping for my engagement ring.

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
I would get it sized to a 6.5 or 6.75. I wear a size 7 in every ring I buy, but my jeweler told me to get my engagement ring a quarter size smaller because you want it to be a little more snug and not slipping aroung. Especially since the novo is a thinner band I think this would work. My ring is a 6.5 and a 2mm band and it's perfect. I'm sure your future fiance is going to want to throw that ring on her finger as soon as she gets it to show every one so I think you would be safe doing this
1.gif
Good Luck...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it sized because I am sure she''ll want to wear it right away.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I agree with Marcy she will be so excited and want to wear it straight away. "Congratulations to you both"
30.gif

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure if this will help or hurt but I thought I wore a size 7 or 7.5 and even mentioned it to my fiance (before he was my fiance of course) and when he proposed to me he wasn''t able to get the ring sized before we left on vacation. Well it was a size 7 and it was too big! I had to get it sized to a 6.75 and even then it was a smidge loose! I guess it had been so long since I actually purchased a ring that I didn''t realize how much smaller they were. So unless you are positive that she KNOWS her ring size and not just *thinks* she knows her ring size, or has purchased or tried on rings recently I would probably just wait. Just my .02 Good Luck! :)

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses...It appears that most recommend I get it sized to fit her ring finger. bgray, I didn''t get it sized when I first bought it because I wanted to be absolutely sure that she was a size 7. But now I regret that decision because I think like others have said, she would prefer to wear the ring immediately!

The advice to go with a quarter smaller ie 6.75 in order to ensure snugness is interesting...do you think this is safe? Do the rest of you concur with this advice? How much of a difference does 1/4 make in a 2mm band? Does it cause any damage to the ring to have it sized multiple times? I heard that they have to stretch out the ring to make it bigger and take out platinum to make it smaller....wouldn''t all these forces damage the integrity of the ring?

Alas...thanks again.... I thought all my type A fretting was over when I walked out with the little blue box!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t worry about the structure of a Tiffany ring with resizing...that is a nice quality ring! I agree a 6.75 might be nice if the shank is thin. Fingers change from summer to winter. She will be thrilled not to have to give it up!

lost.in.space

Rough_Rock
OK. So I emailed the Tiffany SA - they will send a brinks truck to pick it up so it can be sized in Toronto. I will take the advice to size it down to a 6.75 - I was initially thinking maybe a 6.5 - but as a poster said - once the wedding band is on things might feel a bit more snug - Is this the experience of any of you with a Tiffany Novo Ering and Novo wedding band?

Thanks again for all your help!!! I have all of you to thank if this proposal goes smoothly without any disappointment! I will post pics of the ring once it''s on her finger in August

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Good decision! She will be very happy that the ring fits. Remember, though, the wedding band goes below the engagement ring -- tradition says that this is because the wedding ring should be the ring worn "closest to the heart." It drives me nuts when women wear their wedding band above the engagement ring (I don''t see that too much on the Pricescope pages, though). So this will shift the engagement ring up a bit higher on her finger when she gets the wedding band. I think 6.75 will work great for now and then when she tries it on with the wedding band she can always size up or down at that point. Don''t forget to come back and post pictures when she gets the ring and btw, you might want to take a picture of the Brinks truck when it arrives at your house -- what a great story to tell your future bride!

rickster123

Shiny_Rock
Can''t you just feed her more?.......if it''s too loose.......

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
glad you made a decision, I was thinking about your post more and wanted to come back, to say ok ok,,, go get it sized... and looky here, you''ve gone and done, congrats. and one less thing to worry about. ehh
36.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
If she''s out of the country for a month, is there any way you can get to her jewelry box and find a ring that she wears on that finger? That would give an good idea of what size she actually wears.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results