shape
carat
color
clarity

New ebay OEC - should I keep..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
It's just a lil one, sorry if I got anyone excited, lol..
5.gif

So I bought this lil guy, advertised as mine cut, 0.37ct , K-L, 4.3mm..
I've yet to go to my jeweller to confirm the size, but the first thing thats jumped out is the colour - I doubt it is K-L, imho more likely P-R..maybe lower? This is solely a guess..
It didn't have a clarity grade but it appears very clean to me - I guess VS.
1.gif

The faceting is very pretty, and it has a strong kozibe effect..but in most lighting it does have quite a light lemon yellow colour.

So should I keep it if the colour comes back much lower? I have tried to choose pics that represent the colour, instead of just glamour shots, lol..
Also in one spot, it has what I can only describe as an indent or flat spot on the girdle when viewed face up - is this what an "indented natural" is..? It doesn't appear to be damaged at all, including in this spot..

tia!

In this pic, that bit on the girdle is at about 5 o'clock..

Hrmm..actually thats something I just spotted after posting the pics - those 4 small dots from about 11 to 12 o'clock - they're not noticeable IRL. Any ideas? Are they abrasions or something..?

DSC02582resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
showing lemon-y colour..and the girdle thing is in same spot..any input?

Sorry, those dots are in 9 to 10 o'clock - I was looking at a different photo before
5.gif

DSC02581crop - resize girdle.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
lots a kozibe!'
In this one those 4 spots are from 11 to 12 - they almost look like a reflection - are they just inclusions?

DSC02606 resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
definately oec, no?

DSC02613-resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
lookin bit prettier..

DSC02592-resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
....I have no idea what I will do with it!
I was thinking accent stones in a ring with a coloured gem centre..but for that I would have to find a second one !
9.gif
11.gif
2.gif

DSC02515-resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Last one..showing off culet again.

So, any thoughts?

DSC02579crop resize.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think it depends on the price and it does appear to have a brownish cast (does it IRL?) which significantly lowers value in diamonds. If you love it, and you didn''t spend too much, I would keep it. It''s very pretty. What are you planning on doing with it?

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
But then again, I am a sucker for these old stones. I think it has a lot of character, and the darker color doesn''t bother me at all
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:31:40 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Well, I think it depends on the price and it does appear to have a brownish cast (does it IRL?) which significantly lowers value in diamonds. If you love it, and you didn't spend too much, I would keep it. It's very pretty. What are you planning on doing with it?
Hi TL, nope no brown. Just a pale/ light lemony yellow to a warm white..
This pic below I think is a bit more like what I see IRL - I just tried to post pics initially to show the yellow.

I paid $140US..I thought it was a pretty decent price..?
But if it comes back much lower in colour, perhaps I should ask for a partial refund like others have done recently?

Oh and yes no idea what I will do with it - like I mentioned I think sidestones on a coloured gem ring would be killer
5.gif

DSC02553crop resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou SDL and Flowerladytoo - F.L the colour doesn''t really bother me either, I''m always fond of the warmer ones.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
It''s a charmer for sure--esp in that last pic. I like the warmth. I also like the idea of finding another for a 3 stone with a colored stone center.
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:47:33 AM
Author: coatimundi
It''s a charmer for sure--esp in that last pic. I like the warmth. I also like the idea of finding another for a 3 stone with a colored stone center.
31.gif
Thankyou sweety - are you able to tell me what the 4 spots and the thing on the girdle are by any chance..?
And do you want to take a stab at the colour range..?

Me likes that idea too - let me know if you see one, lol !

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That would look so pretty in a Victorian rose-gold setting.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I like the super small table look it has, pretty patterning indeed. With that super high crown I bet it's a firecracker! Yeah, I'd guess early OEC too, it is not cushiony shaped enough to be a mine cut IMO. Sorry, no clue about the spots/girdle thing- an indented natural is usually so small you can't see it with the naked eye. One of my OECs has them- a jeweler friend showed them to me in a microscope. If I remember, they just looked like a sort of crystally looking flattish spot, I've never noticed it with my loupe. Still, maybe some are bigger...

If the color doesn't bother you- and yeah, it looks lower than K/L to me too- then I'd keep it. The price was reasonable, and it's very pretty.

ETA: I'm not sure I'm seeing the spots?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:51:31 AM
Author: arjunajane

It's a charmer for sure--esp in that last pic. I like the warmth. I also like the idea of finding another for a 3 stone with a colored stone center.
31.gif

Thankyou sweety - are you able to tell me what the 4 spots and the thing on the girdle are by any chance..?

I can't see the 4 spots or the indented natural in your photos--too much reflection. Can't judge color from a photo--looks warm, though.

and will do!

...and, nice tweezers.
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:06:05 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I like the super small table look it has, pretty patterning indeed. With that super high crown I bet it''s a firecracker! Yeah, I''d guess early OEC too, it is not cushiony shaped enough to be a mine cut IMO. Sorry, no clue about the spots/girdle thing- an indented natural is usually so small you can''t see it with the naked eye. One of my OECs has them- a jeweler friend showed them to me in a microscope. If I remember, they just looked like a sort of crystally looking flattish spot, I''ve never noticed it with my loupe. Still, maybe some are bigger...

If the color doesn''t bother you- and yeah, it looks lower than K/L to me too- then I''d keep it. The price was reasonable, and it''s very pretty.

ETA: I''m not sure I''m seeing the spots?
Hiya LGK, thanks for the info and your thoughts..

The spots..in this pic, from 9 to 10, near the girdle there are 6 small lightish spots - kinda look like teeth marks from a bite, lol !

DSC02582spots.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:08:06 AM

Date: 2/12/2009 12:51:31 AM

It's a charmer for sure--esp in that last pic. I like the warmth. I also like the idea of finding another for a 3 stone with a colored stone center.
31.gif

I can't see the 4 spots or the indented natural in your photos--too much reflection. Can't judge color from a photo--looks warm, though.

and will do!

...and, nice tweezers.
31.gif
Ha, thankyou! A true gemmologist, commenting on the tweezers over the diamond..
20.gif
Just kidding!
Thanks, I know its not much point judging from pics - I will fill ya's in after I take it to the appraiser.

Thankyou Gliierata.
35.gif

1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:22:52 AM

20.gif
Just kidding!

Thanks, I know its not much point judging from pics - I will fill ya's in after I take it to the appraiser.

13.gif

Now I see the spots--are they internal or external? Looks like the reflections of one spot.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:28:58 AM

20.gif
Just kidding!

Thanks, I know its not much point judging from pics - I will fill ya''s in after I take it to the appraiser.

13.gif

Now I see the spots--are they internal or external? Looks like the reflections of one spot.
They are very hard to spot under the loupe.
I am pretty sure they are internal, as I can only make them out looking through the pavillion, and they def seem like a reflection..of what, I don''t know, lol!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:28:58 AM

20.gif
Just kidding!

Thanks, I know its not much point judging from pics - I will fill ya''s in after I take it to the appraiser.

13.gif

Yep, that''s what I think too, that it''s one spot, now that I see them. Tooth marks- that was a good description! Can you see anything through the pavilion? Is it a wee feather or something? I''d guess it''s either a smudge or an inclusion.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
another pic up close..
LGK, in person I can actually only make them out through the pavillion - I can't see them when face up at all
33.gif

DSC02606.teeth.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Looks like the reflections of a little crystal. Very cute.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:42:10 AM
Looks like the reflections of a little crystal. Very cute.
1.gif
ha ha cute - I like it. Like someone bit my diamond
9.gif

And this is the "flat spot" I was reffering to - kinda makes it look a teensy bit out of round - but only in photos, not IRL..

DSC0258flat.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's pretty. I know someone on here got their older stone polished... it could just be the pics, but I think a re-polish might help it out. I think the price is pretty good. And I like warmth too. Especially if you can get one of those settings that are unplated white gold so it looks a little yellowed and age worn (do you know what I mean)?

I'd keep it. It's got personality.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I quite like it - assuming you didn''t overpay wildly for what you thought you were getting as opposed to what you actually got, I say keep it and use it for the bail of a dangling pear of complimentary color. Maybe a nice garnet?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:54:38 AM
Author: Gypsy
I think it''s pretty. I know someone on here got their older stone polished... it could just be the pics, but I think a re-polish might help it out. I think the price is pretty good. And I like warmth too. Especially if you can get one of those settings that are unplated white gold so it looks a little yellowed and age worn (do you know what I mean)?

I''d keep it. It''s got personality.
Hey gypsy, thankyou for the input
1.gif

I think it may be the photos, as at least to me in person, the polish and finish on the stone look pretty good (but I will ask the app. to check). I''m glad it doesn''t have any notable damage.
I do know what you mean about un-rhodiumed WG, and think it sounds like a good idea, cheers!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:07:41 AM
Author: Circe
I quite like it - assuming you didn''t overpay wildly for what you thought you were getting as opposed to what you actually got, I say keep it and use it for the bail of a dangling pear of complimentary color. Maybe a nice garnet?
Hi circe - thanks for your thoughts.
I will consult you guys again on the cost once I know the actual specs.
I was thinkng to use it with a garnet for sure
1.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It does have a brownish tinge. But at 140 bucks, you gotta keep it. Bargain.

Afterthought: If the colour is much lower - by all means ask for discount. Bargain - discount = extra great bargain!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 6:22:22 AM
Author: Steel
It does have a brownish tinge. But at 140 bucks, you gotta keep it. Bargain.

Afterthought: If the colour is much lower - by all means ask for discount. Bargain - discount = extra great bargain!
Hey Steel, cheers for your thoughts hon! It honestly doesn''t have any brown IRL, not sure why thats coming through in the pics..just a bit yellow.
I''m glad you still think it was a bargain
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results