shape
carat
color
clarity

New cute Art Deco ring!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
First time poster here. I discovered PS when I was trying to find an anniversary band with ideal cut diamonds. And now I’m addicted.

And I got intrigued about old European cut too!

So last night I purchased an Adorable ring on eBay and I’m curious what you all think of it. It’s very small and cute but has so much character. And I am a sucker for flowers.

If anyone has experience with the history of such a ring please share.

Thanks to all my new friends. 80916833-FED9-4D05-9DCA-8431971234E2.png D5A8F4CD-20F4-40C2-BC57-EB7D8143D8C4.png 364922B8-42A0-4345-B96C-73923FB0893A.png A64717F3-E86D-4402-A418-5C442987ED96.png

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh I love this!!! I am a sucker for flowers as well!! Lovely find! I do not know anything about the history/time of your piece. The only thing I can do is share with you that I have a band of single cut diamonds, and on the sides are little flowers. It is a platinum band and it is from 1935. Here is a picture if you would like to see. 706467

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh I love this!!! I am a sucker for flowers as well!! Lovely find! I do not know anything about the history/time of your piece. The only thing I can do is share with you that I have a band of single cut diamonds, and on the sides are little flowers. It is a platinum band and it is from 1935. Here is a picture if you would like to see. FDCB1514-36BF-4D87-AF9A-EF708220184C.jpeg

It looks very similar! The seller said probably 1930’s. Is there a hallmark inside your ring? I’m just hoping the diamond sparkles. I need a band like yours now I think for stacking.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! Love the diamond & the style - it's very romantic & you must update this thread when you get it, with hand shots & your thoughts!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty ring! Love the diamond & the style - it's very romantic & you must update this thread when you get it, with hand shots & your thoughts!

Romantic is a good description. I already have a story in my head about how the boy knew the girl liked flowers and had it designed and it was such a sweet proposal. I kind of wish these rings would stay in the families but I will enjoy thinking about those people.

luxe

Shiny_Rock
I like the facets on the diamond, very sweet ring!!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I like the facets on the diamond, very sweet ring!!

I don’t know much about the OEC cut - does it look like a typical Old European cut to you? I think I can see the flower arrangement in the middle of the facets which I like.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very similar! The seller said probably 1930’s. Is there a hallmark inside your ring? I’m just hoping the diamond sparkles. I need a band like yours now I think for stacking.

My band does not have a hallmark, at least that I can find. I got mine on ebay too!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this ring! Add me to the list of Suckers for Flowers on Rings. This is a sweet, sweet find. Enjoy!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Romantic is a good description. I already have a story in my head about how the boy knew the girl liked flowers and had it designed and it was such a sweet proposal. I kind of wish these rings would stay in the families but I will enjoy thinking about those people.

I agree. I would never sell my inherited pieces & it feels like such a shame when people do. Wouldn't it be great if the jewellery could tell us its story ?!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I can’t wait to see it! It’s only .25ct and it’s very petite but I’m not one to want anything too big. As long as it has good sparkle I will enjoy the design I think.

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful ring! It's hallmarked by J.R. Wood and Sons which is a wonderful historic brand. They later rebranded to the name Artcarved. This ring is stamped with a hallmark that they started using in the 1920s. The setting looks very 1930s to me, but the diamond is a really lovely Old Mine Cut diamond that is likely older than the setting. I love the wonkiness of the diamond and I really enjoy warm colored old mines! I've seen many settings with this profile/basket and fishtail prongs, but I've never seen one with those sweet blossoms on the side! It's so charming and romantic! Enjoy it!!!!!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! It's hallmarked by J.R. Wood and Sons which is a wonderful historic brand. They later rebranded to the name Artcarved. This ring is stamped with a hallmark that they started using in the 1920s. The setting looks very 1930s to me, but the diamond is a really lovely Old Mine Cut diamond that is likely older than the setting. I love the wonkiness of the diamond and I really enjoy warm colored old mines! I've seen many settings with this profile/basket and fishtail prongs, but I've never seen one with those sweet blossoms on the side! It's so charming and romantic! Enjoy it!!!!!

Wow! Thanks a lot of helpful info! I was hoping to figure out the hallmark. It does have some color which I think I will like. The seller said it’s a J. They described it as an old European cut but you can see it’s an old mine cut? What’s the difference?

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow! Thanks a lot of helpful info! I was hoping to figure out the hallmark. It does have some color which I think I will like. The seller said it’s a J. They described it as an old European cut but you can see it’s an old mine cut? What’s the difference?

Old Mine cuts precede Old European cuts. In an oversimplified nutshell, they share some common traits like an open culet, small table, and chunky facets, but generally, Old Mine cuts are off-round or cushiony, and look a little more chunky (often affectionally called wonky), while Old Europeans are more round and symmetrical. The facet pattern of the Old European can resemble a flower or a pinwheel and Old Mine cuts can have a Maltese cross kind of pattern coming out from the culet. Because we're talking about diamonds that were cut by hand, every stone is unique and has slightly different facet patterns and characteristics. There are so many variations too...you could have late Old Mine/early Old Europeans that have traits of both. What I love about old cuts is that each stone has its own personality and its own history.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Old Mine cuts precede Old European cuts. In an oversimplified nutshell, they share some common traits like an open culet, small table, and chunky facets, but generally, Old Mine cuts are off-round or cushiony, and look a little more chunky (often affectionally called wonky), while Old Europeans are more round and symmetrical. The facet pattern of the Old European can resemble a flower or a pinwheel and Old Mine cuts can have a Maltese cross kind of pattern coming out from the culet. Because we're talking about diamonds that were cut by hand, every stone is unique and has slightly different facet patterns and characteristics. There are so many variations too...you could have late Old Mine/early Old Europeans that have traits of both. What I love about old cuts is that each stone has its own personality and its own history.

Thanks! I’m actually getting some “perfect” hearts and arrows in a custom David Klass anniversary band and thought it might be fun to have a ring where the diamonds have character too! And I love antiques in general.

I read that old cut diamonds were cut to sparkle well in candlelight.
I’m glad that “wonky” is not an insult to my stone. As long as it sparkles and isn’t dull I’m going to love it even if it’s a bit wonky.

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I’m actually getting some “perfect” hearts and arrows in a custom David Klass anniversary band and thought it might be fun to have a ring where the diamonds have character too! And I love antiques in general.

I’m glad that “wonky” is not an insult to my stone. As long as it sparkles and isn’t dull I’m going to love it even if it’s a bit wonky.

Yes! They were cut to sparkle by candlelight and they send the most beautiful chunky flashes whereas modern diamonds send more splintered arrow flashes. Of course, as with any art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but wonky is definitely a plus and a term of endearment in my book...my engagement ring is a cluster of old mines and I love that they are all a little different and have their own wonky little personalities. 680435 680436

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! They were cut to sparkle by candlelight and they send the most beautiful chunky flashes whereas modern diamonds send more splintered arrow flashes. Of course, as with any art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but wonky is definitely a plus and a term of endearment in my book...my engagement ring is a cluster of old mines and I love that they are all a little different and have their own wonky little personalities. E6A2A4B7-91E9-442E-B851-3284315378A9.jpeg 10C6AE1D-C78F-4E06-B76F-C121933CBAE7.jpeg

Love it! Perfection is overrated. Your ring is gorgeous.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Please do a SMTB when your band arrives too! Looking forward to seeing it!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Please do a SMTB when your band arrives too! Looking forward to seeing it!

Ok here are the photos! The ring arrives today and I love it. The diamond sparkles more than I expected and the ring is absolutely adorable. I love the delicate details and the size on my finger. It’s in amazing condition. I wonder if it was worn much. I am actually worried about wearing it too much because it is so delicate so it may be a special occasion, going out kind of ring. Love it!

E96C29AF-9121-4C63-8C33-03F704AF42AF.jpeg 04DBD378-968A-47B3-B152-9F6E449A4661.jpeg 0255A507-5DA2-4B7C-A783-4FDA467CA270.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Last one. It sparkles like a little disco ball. I swear this little diamond sparkles as well as any modern cut diamond I have seen!

FE130086-A15C-467F-800C-8F2F50B0E583.jpeg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! I absolutely love it! It looks fantastic on your hand, and I love that you can really see the flowers -they are a good size! The diamond is gorgeous too. What a find!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Now
Oh my goodness! I absolutely love it! It looks fantastic on your hand, and I love that you can really see the flowers -they are a good size! The diamond is gorgeous too. What a find!

It’s a petite ring and the flowers are not big but you can see them easily when you look at the ring. I don’t think they are obvious from any distance. It’s just an adorable little thing.

I’m certainly no expert but it seems like a decently cut old diamond.

Now I kind of want a bigger European cut diamond....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's perfect! I could tell from the close up pictures that it was cut well, and it looks beautiful on you!

Congratulations & here's to you not getting anything done when you wear it because you are too busy staring at it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful! Looks amazing on you. :love: What a romantic and chunkalicious ring. Wear in health and blingy joy.:appl:

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the Old Cut Club! Your ring is beautiful and that fireball diamond has that sparkle that we antique/vintage lovers go mad for. Wear it in health and happiness!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the Old Cut Club! Your ring is beautiful and that fireball diamond has that sparkle that we antique/vintage lovers go mad for. Wear it in health and happiness!

The funny part is that I found this forum while researching where to buy hearts and arrows melee diamonds. I will still be getting those in my anniversary ring but now I Also want a larger right hand ring with a European cut diamond so I can really have fun with studying the facets. I’m thinking .6-.8ct. Or I could go with August vintage but then there’s no history with it and it’s not hand cut.

Oh the dilemmas we face....

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It's perfect! I could tell from the close up pictures that it was cut well, and it looks beautiful on you!

Congratulations & here's to you not getting anything done when you wear it because you are too busy staring at it!

I think the culet is slightly off center but it doesn’t seem to matter. It’s interesting how you can see the culet facets reflected in the other facets when you look at it.

I noticed when I was looking at my photos that there are some blue flashes of light in the sun. Does this mean there is some fluorescence? I don’t think the stone turns blue all over but just wondering where that blue is coming from. It’s just so interesting!

Science!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results