shape
carat
color
clarity

New Cartier ring - authentic?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You really do need a professional appraiser, otherwise all else will be just guesswork that will drive you crazy.

As to Cartier tell you it has been sitting in a closet and take it there. You do not have to tell them you are not the original owner.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So, I took it back. I asked if they would check again for the certificate. The manager came out and said we didn't need one. Then he said they were able to get a certificate for a different estate piece - from Cartier.

Then he took a brief call from someone and told me it was their estate person and that he had just called Cartier with the serial number and they had confirmed it was a ruby ring. Then I asked which serial number was used (the number on the ring and in their description is different). I don't think he appreciated that.

After telling me again it was a genuine Cartier signature, he called the other person back to see if he could get a certificate. I guess the answer was no because he told the salesperson quietly to process the refund.

I'm sad, but have learned a lot. They are a decent store, so I have no doubt they believe it to be genuine. I'm sure they aren't happy ...

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
You really do need a professional appraiser, otherwise all else will be just guesswork that will drive you crazy.

As to Cartier tell you it has been sitting in a closet and take it there. You do not have to tell them you are not the original owner.

The manager at Cartier said a receipt is required - and/or the certificate.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

Agreed - they did not offer to have it appraised or make it available for me to have it appraised... Cartier said we would need the certificate and receipt for services and information.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I took it back. I asked if they would check again for the certificate. The manager came out and said we didn't need one. Then he said they were able to get a certificate for a different estate piece - from Cartier.

Then he took a brief call from someone and told me it was their estate person and that he had just called Cartier with the serial number and they had confirmed it was a ruby ring. Then I asked which serial number was used (the number on the ring and in their description is different). I don't think he appreciated that.

After telling me again it was a genuine Cartier signature, he called the other person back to see if he could get a certificate. I guess the answer was no because he told the salesperson quietly to process the refund.

I'm sad, but have learned a lot. They are a decent store, so I have no doubt they believe it to be genuine. I'm sure they aren't happy ...

This sounds SO shady to me. I'm glad you took it back. There's just no way it's authentic and on some level the store has got to know that, otherwise they wouldn't act this way.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Very smart of you to double check the serial numbers matched. In wanting to hear good news, anyone would settle for the "they confirmed it's a ruby ring", hoping for the best.

I hope you find the ruby ring of your dreams VERY soon!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Very smart of you to double check the serial numbers matched. In wanting to hear good news, anyone would settle for the "they confirmed it's a ruby ring", hoping for the best.

I hope you find the ruby ring of your dreams VERY soon!

Thank you. I’m missing the ring. Looking for another - we’ll see what turns up.

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi! It’s Jennie! I’m so glad you were able to return this. I’m happy I met you!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! It’s Jennie! I’m so glad you were able to return this. I’m happy I met you!

Hi, Jennie! We loved meeting you - and look forward to working with you again! So refreshing to find a nice B&M And someone on PS.

The story ended well for us, but someone else might have purchased the ring - it is now gone from their website...

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I’m sad you didn’t get to keep it because you obviously loved it either way. But obviously the price difference would be hugely considerable.
Did you particularly want a Cartier ring or just an Art Deco style ruby ring? - or possibly both?
I have seen some really heavenly art deco pieces on LT.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@Beautiful-disaster - it was the color of the stone. It was so vibrant, but it was heavily included and when we got home to our own lighting and loupes, warning bells went off. Then we posted here, and the warnings were given voice and reason. The rest is history.

To be honest, I didn’t care for the setting except for the simplicity of it.

We’ve since seen and declined several beautiful rings but with stones that just aren’t as nice in color and with substandard ‘rubies’...so many aren’t what they are claimed to be. For now, we are going with spinel and someday may return to the ruby search. It’s funny that I’ve always stayed away from a ruby because of the deception in the market - but this time I gave in and learned a few very good lessons.

The good people of PS were invaluable!

Sam13112

Rough_Rock
I got this ring from a jeweler in Lebanon and would like to know if it is authentic or not please 9D019317-FAFB-4F53-B5EE-17B756C083B2.jpeg 96F97C29-7078-4B4B-9335-5B445874E7F7.jpeg 9D019317-FAFB-4F53-B5EE-17B756C083B2.jpeg 96F97C29-7078-4B4B-9335-5B445874E7F7.jpeg D23A5455-C3D9-4F2A-8009-60A0C543F124.jpeg AF958D8C-9288-4C52-8E91-13E7986E5B99.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results