shape
carat
color
clarity

New around these parts...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rippey42

Rough_Rock
I''m new here to the forum although I have been a long time lurker. My story is not unique nor is my ring. I''ve been wanting to upgrade my e-ring for years but alas it is not in the cards for me. However, I did recently have my e-ring reset from yellow gold to 18k white gold and my husband and I both purchased new wedding bands...both in white gold with 8 small diamonds equally spaced around the whole band. We went to a local jewelry store as I lacked the courage to write in this forum about our purchase. Anyways...my husband (who cares less about jewelry) is completely happy with our purchase while I am not. It lacks sparkle...

My question is this...my current center stone is marquis shape. It''s small...approx 1/3 to 1/4 carat, approx "J" in color and has a visible bowtie. I''ve seen several pictures of the east/west setting and I was wondering if this size diamond, this quality diamond would look good in that type of setting. If so, then I was thinking of pairing that with some sort of eternity style wedding band. Anyone have an opinion on this? I''ve put a call into Signed Pieces and I''m waiting for them to call me back.

I''m interested in entertaining any and all ideas as I''m tired of spending my money on pieces I don''t love.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from someone soon
28.gif

~J

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I think resetting it east/west would be a great idea. someone did that here a while back, I''ll see if I can dig up the picture, altough I think they also added a halo, but you can at least get the idea.

welcome to Pricescope by the way..

rippey42

Rough_Rock
Thank you for responding...i''m sure it''s not common to have an east/west setting as an e-ring (mostly I''ve read that people do this for RHR)...do you think it would be goofy to have this style for an engagement ring?? I also like wearing two rings (e-ring & wedding band)...does the east/west look good with a wedding band?

I''m so nervous as I type this...lol.

rippey42

Rough_Rock
Oh that is so pretty...does the .27 mean that''s the size of the center stone?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:10:54 PM
Author: rippey42
Oh that is so pretty...does the .27 mean that''s the size of the center stone?

yes..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:09:58 PM
Author: rippey42
Thank you for responding...i''m sure it''s not common to have an east/west setting as an e-ring (mostly I''ve read that people do this for RHR)...do you think it would be goofy to have this style for an engagement ring?? I also like wearing two rings (e-ring & wedding band)...does the east/west look good with a wedding band?

it''s not common, but that''s what Catherine Zeta-Jones has as her e-ring as well as our dear pricecoper Jasmine. Jasmine wears a pave wedding band with her ring and I''ve see pics of Catherine''s rings stacked too. I''ll track down Jasmines for you..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, here''s jasmine''s e/w marquise with her wedding band. it''s a sideview pic but you can see how the wedding band sits next to her e-ring..

DSC00020ring6.JPG

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
MAchick has an incredible one too, though the stone is larger (I think, I can''t find any stats). I''d love something like this for a RHR someday.
Custom ring by Greenlake.

I love marquise, oval and EC stones set E/W. I think it''s really beautful and unique and that the stones look larger for their unexpected orientation.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi: Not to threadjack, but I saw somewhere that you had your wedding in the Berkshires? That''s where I am from and will be having my wedding there too.

Do you have any suggestions for locations?

Thanks!!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Rippey! Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:24:02 PM
Author: neatfreak
Mercoledi: Not to threadjack, but I saw somewhere that you had your wedding in the Berkshires? That's where I am from and will be having my wedding there too.

Do you have any suggestions for locations?

Thanks!!!!
Hey neatfreak- this would be better done in BWW, if you want to start a thread there, there are other MA residents there that can help too. We eloped at Mepal Manor and loved it.

Sorry for the mini-hijack rippey42. Here's another marqise halo. This one is bezel set in a split shank N/S but I bet you can imagine it E/W. The halo plus the shank gives it quite a presence!

rippey42

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome's....I was nervous as all heck posting for my first time and you've made me feel very comfortable. My budget is round $3000 bucks...is that enough mula or am I under estimating the cost of schtuff?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I think you can get a VERY nice re-set for 3K.
36.gif
That''s a nice healthy budget!

OK, here''s my advice from someone who has upgraded her center stone and changed settings 3 times in the last three years...
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif

LOOK LOOK LOOK EVERYWHERE till you find something you LOVE. Don''t "settle"! You have a little bit of a challenge with your marquis shape (IMHO), but certainly not insurmountable! I LOVE the idea of an E/W setting, and YES, it works GREAT as an e-ring!

My first thought was a halo... do you like that look? My second thought is a very classy, very simple cathedral style solitaire setting... and a blingy
12.gif
12.gif
eternity or semi-eternity w-ring. You could maybe have a w-ring made with E/W marquis stones... how cool would THAT be?!

Have fun, take your time, and try to enjoy the planning and the looking. And oh, keep us posted. We are WITH ya, girlfriend! [:bigsmile]

rippey42

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lynn...your enthusiasm is contageous. I listened to what you said about "settling"...I feel I have settled already when I purchased my new wedding band a few months ago and now I''m displeased. I feel very intimitated when I walk into jewlery stores...like my purchase or amount of money I am spending is not enough to warrant them to help me. I have a little *self-esteem* issue. Anyways...I liked your idea''s..

In my previous e-ring setting I also wore a wrap to go with the ring and I ended up not wearing the wrap because I felt like it made made my whole wedding set look a little "cocktalish" and I didn''t want that look for my wedding set.

Does anyone think that the east/west setting looks like a cocktail ring?

Obviously I need approval because I can''t make up my own mind...
31.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Rippey we're so glad that you came out from lurking to post! Welcome!!! If you like the look of Clementine's ring I think that would make a gorgeous and unique engagement ring that would look incredible with a thin eternity band (and no it does NOT look like a cocktail ring). It could give you a fresh new outlook on your diamond. I had a diamond from a previous e-ring made into a pendant recently with small ideal cut diamonds around it and I was amazed at how dazzling my old stone looked in this new setting. Lynn is right though, don't settle, get something you love!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, I DO think east west is a wonderful thing! I did it with my rectangular radiant and couldn''t be happier. (See avatar).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it looks like a cocktail ring at all. While I will admit I am not a fan of marquis diamonds in general...I MUCH MUCH prefer the E/W setting to the other setting. Much classier and more unique. I really *love* that ring that someone posted a few posts back with the melee and E/W. Gorgeous. You should do something like that and it would look fantastic.

Don''t let people in jewelry stores bully you into not getting what you want. They should value ALL customers, not just those spending lots of cash. But that is also the beauty of shopping/looking online, no sales pressure!

Best of luck with your hunt!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Here are some different views of my ring. I have to admit, even to me I think it looks cocktail ring-ish. Nothing wrong with that though, I still adore it and wouldn't change a thing. I didn't want a tradional looking e-ring.

iufiei.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results