shape
carat
color
clarity

new and naive guy looking to buy engagement ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harryc

Rough_Rock
im 23 and i have been with my girlfriend for almost 8 years now. we both just graduated college last year, and we have been talking about marriage. about two months ago, i went to look at engagement rings with her. we went to tiffany''s, cartier, shreve & co, ch premier, and several other stores just to see what''s out there and to see what kind of designs my girlfriend likes.

well, now i am on my own to find the right ring for her, but i still do not feel fully prepared to make a purchase. i have been trying to research all the aspects of a diamond, and it is not until i found pricescope that i actually feel that i have learned a lot. but still, if i were to go to a store today, i would not really know whether or not i am overpaying (which is probably the usual case) for the diamond i want.

anyway, i was curious where most people buy their diamonds. do most people buy online or at a store.. and if at a store, which ones are trustworthy? which ones sell the best diamonds for the best price? where do i go about looking for honest people? the sales people ive met so far are nice, but i do feel like there''s a lack of sincerity in wanting to help. tiffany''s and cartier are high-end stores, but how do their diamonds compare to others?

is there a diamond person or company on this forum that is trustworthy and honest?

any help is appreciated. thanks so much.
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about most people but my bf bought our ring at Whiteflash and there are tons of happy customers from them here. I really, really recommend them. There are others that I have heard great things about including James Allen, Pearlmans, and Good Old Gold. What shape diamond and what kind of setting does your gf prefer?

harryc

Rough_Rock
thanks for some of the recommendations. i will check them out.

she''s looking for a round diamond.. and i believe, the xprong type setting would be good.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whew, ok, trying to answer this post adequately is a tall order.

if you want to know how much you should pay, you can "Pricescope your diamond" by inputting specs and a database search will be run, giving you vendors who list similar diamonds and the price; add a reasonable amount to that for personal, in-store service, and a future relationship with the jeweler.

most people, as in the vast majority of people, buy diamonds in physical, brick and morter (B&M) stores. I feel that diamonds are sold for the best price when there is a lot of transparancy...online, we can look up the same diamond listed by 5 different vendors and how much each one charges in two seconds. on trustworthiness, honesty, and good prices...stay away from chains/mall jewelers like...oh, Kay, Zales, Whitehall, and the like. Salespeople are only looking to make the sale, and have no vested interest in making a happy customer who will come back to the store for future purchases and servicing.

Tiffany and Cartier know diamonds...the advantage of buying from them is the luxury of being able to pick something out without too much knowledge, and still getting a diamond that performs well. You pay for this, though.

There are many diamond sellers associated with PS, I won't name any just to be fair to everyone I can't name, and if you will just search for people's experiences from each vendor, you'll get a sense of customer service, honesty, and trustworthiness.

if you tell us your geography, maybe we could rec someone you could visit in person.

harryc

Rough_Rock
julieN, thanks for the reply. very helpful. i live in the bay area of california in fremont. right now, i am browsing goodoldgold''s website because of all the awesome reviews for these guys. i want to deal with somebody who cares, unlike the chains(kays, zales) as you said.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I am also in the San Francisco Bay Area and would love any recommendations around here to look for diamonds and a nice selection of settings. Everyone seems to claim they sell "wholesale" but I can''t believe that.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yeah, I was going to write about that, but I forgot; stay away from ANYONE who calls themselves wholesalers and is willing to sell directly to the public. Mara and Dancing Fire are in the SF area... I think people have had good experiences with Willow Glen and Joe Escobar (in San Jo?)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I second the WF recommendation! They were great to work with on my e-ring and I am now working with them to create my w-band. Great service and gorgous diamonds.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
"Great service and gorgous diamonds."

So true!! I didn''t even like rounds that much until I saw the ACutAbove diamonds on here
30.gif
They have some great solitaire settings as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2006 7:55:45 PM
Author: JulieN
Oh, yeah, I was going to write about that, but I forgot; stay away from ANYONE who calls themselves wholesalers and is willing to sell directly to the public. Mara and Dancing Fire are in the SF area... I think people have had good experiences with Willow Glen and Joe Escobar (in San Jo?)
yep....i don''t believe in those wholesalers to the public either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results