shape
carat
color
clarity

New addition to our family!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO! Not a baby!
1.gif
A beautiful puppy!

http://www.dogster.com/?41170

The ''Princess'' is just a moniker for her AKC papers...had to make it a ''unique'' name for registration. Plus she is a little prima-donna!
2.gif
We''re still playing around with other official options (I like Princess Porkalicious). She''s a huge adorable handful...we have had her for 4 days and it''s all about peeing, biting, playing or sleeping. She loves to be close to us and loves to nap on my foot...or curl up with us on the couch as seen in one of the pictures. She wails at night when we put her up in her pen...but she will grow out of that hopefully very soon.

I am home with her now and thoroughly enjoying it...we have wanted to get a puppy for a long time but the work schedules didn''t really mesh with the care that a new dog requires. So now we have taken the plunge!

Greg noted that it''s all about the NAP when you have dogs OR kids! When the dog is napping, I am free to move around the house, do whatever needs to be done when I don''t want little miss trail following around nipping at my heels. Thank goodness she sleeps often, but she still tires me out when she is awake.

Enjoy the pictures, she is a DOLL. We were lucky to find her.
1.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, Princess Portia Tyler is totally adorable pup!!!!! I <3 all the lovely pictures of her!!!
appl.gif

"Pet-Peeves: having her nails clipped"

LOL, would you ever paint her nails???
naughty.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oh my God Mara, she's ADORABLE! Rand has been toying with the statement of, "You need a dog, you look bored." And has been taking me to the pet store to play with the puppies....we want to first get a home, and before that there's my schooling and his going back to get his MBA full-time next year...
cry.gif
But damn are those terriers adorable! Westies are always the first few to sell immediately, as well as the Yorkies...

My "nephew" is a Yorkshire Silky Terror, and I would say that he's clingy, needy, loving, possessive, stupid, smart when he wants something, totally high maintenance and totally hard to train, as they are some of the MOST stubborn animals out there, and probably one of the sweetest little things you ever saw...

If the princess is anything like our little Yorkie, you will have a tough time training her. I suggest a good rigorous school that is very strict on them at a young age. It's tough to enforce when they look so adorable, but it will be WELL worth it...Good luck and please post some new pics of her! What a sweety! MORE PICTURES!

I WANT A DOG!
cry.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes my family used to have a westie when i was young and since then i have always wanted my own. we wanted to wait til we got our own place and had some time to spend with her. they are a BIG handful..and can be hard to train. they are SMART dogs..very sneaky and sly and apt at getting their own way. she already has some hilarious traits that have manifested themselves. yesterday i came home from being gone all afternoon to find her greeting me at the top of the stairs..FREE! when i had left, i had put her into her exercise pen with her crate, toys, litter box, water etc. she had jumped onto her crate then onto the DINING TABLE then somehow down to the floor! keep in mind she weighs all of 4 lbs and is about 5 inches tall. her crate is about 18 inches tall...from there to the dining table was a good leap, not to mention down to the FLOOR from the dining table! she was in happy spirits when i came home...of course, the little houdini!

she also is in that puppy biting/teething stage and she knaws on everything..and I mean everything. she loves toes and feet. she will start biting my pants or my strings or something...and then i give her a chew toy. So at that point she begins manuevering herself closer to me biting on her chew toy..and when she is close to me..she lays against my leg or on my stomach or something and appears to be engrossed in her chew toy and just wanting to be close. NO WAY. once my attention is drawn elsewhere ...she abandons her toy in favor for my pants, or string or whatever she REALLY wanted in the first place. sneaky sneaky little thing!

But totally adorable as you noted. It's hard to stay mad with them. I had to laugh when i came home to find her out yesterday...i mean you have to respect a puppy of 8 weeks that takes those bold leaps! FEARLESS. so we moved her crate away from the table and set the whole thing up to be less puppy-leapy-friendly.

I definitely plan to take her to puppy training as soon as I can. I think she needs to get at least another 2 sets of shots before she is safe to be around other dogs though. In the meantime..she doesn't really get to go outside yet but we have a huge grass park behind our townhouse that I am dying to take her to. I like the puppy stage but it will be nice when she's got some training in her, and we can take her out with us as much as possible. Greg noted he wants a 'traveling dog'..so we have to make sure to get her used to the car and a seatbelt etc...
2.gif
It should be fun but alot of work too!

Oh and btw if you buy a doggie...DONT buy from the pet store. Many times the dogs that end up there are bred by people who could care less about the breed or protecting the dog from genetic diseases...which you as the buyer will pay for later. Research and use a reputable breeder, or go with a rescue at a shelter that needs adoption.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree...most pet stores just promote the cruel treatment of animals...some breeders aren't much better...research is key...that's why I got all of my babies from rescue shelters...there are SO many animals out there who have been abandoned, so it feels good to give some of them a second chance! And THEY know it!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Mara, she's gorgeous. I just love dogs, and she is beyond sweet. What a cute face. Congrats on the new addition to your family. Good luck with the house-breaking.

Shay

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oooooo, she's such a darling! I wanted a Westie when I was growing up. Actually, I went though phases where I'd change my mind about what breed of dog I wanted, and the Westie was after the Beagle but before the Keeshond! Your baby is so cute I just want to reach through the screen and squeeze her to death!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awwww.....what a cutie! She is so precious! She's got the most adorable face. Since she's your new baby, maybe you could get her a diamond dog collar and she'll definitely be a Princess on PS!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tomatoe..i think greg would rebel if i painted her nails...i bought her a pink collar with her silver ID tag on it and a matching pink leash and he told me i better get him a MANLY leash for when he walks her...haha.

she will have to get in line for diamond presents! she's still a baby.
2.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Mara she is seriously adorable!
11.gif

I've heard about their determined little personalites and how smart they are, and that is what makes them so endearing.

Congrats and PLEASE more pics!!
appl.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and btw if you buy a doggie...DONT buy from the pet store. Many times the dogs that end up there are bred by people who could care less about the breed or protecting the dog from genetic diseases...which you as the buyer will pay for later. Research and use a reputable breeder, or go with a rescue at a shelter that needs adoption.

Hear hear!!! My two are from breed rescue, and great dogs. Pet store pups are generally from puppy mills, a horrible thing to perpetuate. There are good breeders to be found out there with a little research, and rescue is a great option too.

Mara, I think your pup is ADORABLE. But to be certain, I'll need to see many, many more pictures!!!
2.gif
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
What a cutie, Mara!!
love.gif
They are sooooo much fun at this stage.
3.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mara, she's adorable! We think our mutt is mostly Westie and she has the cutest personality too.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Awww... so cute. Have fun with her! (and don't let her chew you too much!)

I can't wait to get my PhD and get a place where we can have a dog. Maybe animal rescue will have a playful and affectionate dog that's as small as that one -- that way the dog couldn't beat up on the cat! As a result of taking in an unwanted cat of my own, I have a wonderful companion (whose behavior problems were greatly exaggerated -- he's playful but not hyper) who lacks claws...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The rescues do have an abundance of dogs normally...my girlfriend just got a small jack russell mix today that is adorable from his pictures. Can't introduce him to Portia yet til she has more sets of shots.

I have seen little pomeranians and shih-tzus on shelter websites as well. Or a maltese. There are lots of dogs out there that need homes. I would love for our 2nd dog to be a rescue westie...but figure that I should get the first one situated first.
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I definately have some time to go before getting a puppy, but i WILL look into it much better (not pet stores)...my sister got her kitten there and they totally did a bad job rasing him...She went to a breeder for her dog, (and MAN did she pay!!!) But the site you got yours seems excellent! When i am ready, I am really leaning towards a Silky Terrier, a Lhasa Apso (sp?), a Maltese or a Jack Russell (they are just too smart, I LOOOOVE them!

I'm all about the little dogs, Rand's all about the BIG dogs...My best friend has a Rotweiler/golden retriever mix AND a purebreed Black Lab, and MAN are they ENERGETIC! Small dogs are much easier to deal with, less drool, less hair shedding, and all around more lap-dogesque, which is what I like, and he HATES...Guess what kind of dog we'll get?!
naughty.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Who posted the stuff on the semi-precious pooch apparel? I say that Princess get some diamonds...or maybe some CZ to start her off...LOL! But not before Momma Mara gets hers!!!
2.gif

Do post puppy pics, as you know we are dying to see her in action!

By the way, find out how old she has to be for training, because if I recall properly (and I may not) Georgie (the nephew) had to be at least 3-6 months old to train. She may be a bit too young, so see when she can start...Just wait until the doggie clothes start...Georgie has a little red Natuica fleece with matching booties, and a Burberry coat, with matching collar. By the way, my sister bought a dog collar for him a while ago to match her coach shoes...wait...just wait...

Damn LawGem (wherever he is now) was right! Women just LOVE diamonds and small dogs! LOL! They both make the perfect accessory!
naughty.gif
9.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
What an absolute adorable little one! Im so happy that you and Greg were able to bring her into your lives..and they say..a puppy is the gateway to motherhood..for people little ones of course. She is precious!!!
I loved the picture of her all sprawled out on the couch.
1.gif
Ah..the life of a puppy. Enjoy this time while it lasts..they grow up waay too fast. Our little mako will be almost two already..where does the time go.
She will bring you years and years of happy times im sure. Thanks for sharing!
appl.gif
love.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, simply ROFLMAO!!!!!! Tell Greg to buy his own set of acceptable, macho walking implements for her then
naughty.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara!

Your little baby is *ADORABLE*!! I have a Cairn myself, brindle, and since Cairns and Westies are very close relatives, I guess I know what you are in for!

Since you had a Westie once, you probably know too, but be prepared for a bright, (but stubborn) bundle of energy!! Very Alpha dogs always testing their limits!...like my Ruairidh, grrr, if she *insists* on water one more time late at night (out of her own cup, if you please) I'm going to scream!

It's like taking care of a three year old!

She's very articulate too, has this weird vocalization for when she wants a 'bonie' or her cup of water. I was reading about a border collie that has a 300 word recognition capacity, and I think the terrier is just about as bright.

Good luck, and remember, dogs are unconditional love!

win

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

What a cute puppy! I love Westies! Congratulations on the new addition!

We have had a Yorkie for 2 years now, so I know how smart terriers are. I don't know if you're into reading dog training books, but I have to highly recommend Shelby Marlo's, The New Art of Dog Training, for anyone with a new puppy. We used it right from the start, and we found it extremely helpful with house breaking as well as general behavior training. There are lots of tips and easy-to-follow techniques that make training fast and simple.

I sound like an ad, I know, but I can't say enough about this book!

Well, enjoy her, and congratulations again.

Robyn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips guys...terriers are definitely terrors...hehee...but they are super smart and I would much rather have an intelligent dog that is testing limits than a lap dog. She's very affectionate as well so right when I am about getting ready to scream with her shenanigans...she plops on my lap and falls asleep and then I have to give into the love. Haha.
2.gif

She is getting much better with the wailing and screaming when left alone at night...last nite we just got some half-hearted whines and then she is silent. But she is up and ready to go at about 7am while I'd rather sleep in! The thing right now we are having trouble with is housetraining. She is dog litter box trained, and she knows she should go in there but it seems like at times she has bouts of forgetfulness...either that or she is upset at us for leaving her alone. She will go in the box all day til about 4pm then suddenly she is peeing everywhere BUT the box! Even when I take her to the box, she won't go..and then she pees right beside it a minute later. I can't tell if she knows what she is doing wrong yet and is doing it on purpose (e.g. mad at us), or if she is just too young to remember, but it's frustrating. Thankfully the puppy stage does not last forever!
1.gif

I will check out that book Robyn, and I think someone else mentioned one as well. We will need some assistance with her and books will help, though I know once we take her to puppy training school, it will be easier to 'see and do' than 'read and do' at times.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those who wanted more pix...here are a few cuties.
2.gif
She definitely looks like a little white rat when she is sleeping..hee hee.

portia collage.JPG

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
*groan* she's gorgeous...I've been angling to add a westie to our household since Ruairidh is getting 'elderly' (9), and I can't go through the grief again without another puppy (they stay puppies to me) to love. I thought they would be so cute together since there are essentially the same dog, 'cept that Westies are white and Cairns just about any other color other than white.

Ruairidh did the most amazing thing to me last weekend. My SO is home w/her during the day, and he's *supposed* to take care of her. She has a water/food dish that has a reservoir in the bottom of the food part that water trickles into as she drinks. Well he forgot to fill it. Now this dish/waterbowl combo is at least as big as she is, and is *heavy*!!

I'm sitting at the computer and I hear clatter clatter bang bang...couple of minutes go by and I hear it again. I'm wondering what the heck the noise is, and what *kind* of trouble she's into *now* when she trots into the room with the dish in her mouth!! She was bringing it to me as if to say "Look what bad Daddy did!!"

I had to laugh really hard at her, but I had to praise her too, she's just so darned *smart*!! Then the SO got yelled at!

win

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I had to log on today just to see if you posted any more pictures of Princess! She's such a sweetie!!! I had to call Rand over to see the pictures...I think he can smell the heat is on!

What a cutie pie she is! And yes, I am sure she'll be a loving handful...Funny, but I always thought that terriers although terrors, are some of the most loving and slightly neurotic animals that LOVE to be where the people are. That's how Georgie is, and when we make him sit away from the dinner table at fancy dinners, and such, you can hear the soft whining to join us. Of course the little beggar finds his prey (my grandmother) immediately and makes his dinner reservations early...
9.gif

I know you guys will grow to love that dog so much, I can see she is such an
12.gif
already, but hiding behind is that little
11.gif
just waiting for it....I do suggest a good training school, and of course, since terriers are so bright and stubborn and willful, i suggest to do a little homework when finding the right one. If there are web boards on Westies (I am sure there are!), try seeing who is recommended for their breed in your area, becuase they have to know how to communicate well with their breed... Not all dogs are created equal, and my friend's German Shepard is SO MUCH easier to train. I taught her "paw" in two visits. George was so willful, "Sit" took him two weeks in the doggie boot camp they sent him to! Again, it's important to teach to the breed, so that's my last bit of advice...Find a good Westie teacher...If you need help, some breeders of Westies in your area may know of a few...

MORE PICTURES!! (sorry, can't get enough!)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, the second picture of her reminds me of the Puss-In-Boots character from Shrek 2...if you saw it, you know what I mean...LOL!!!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Absoultely adorable Mara! Congrats on the puppy! Dogs are the most amazing creatures and I can't wait until the day my better half and I get our own puppy! Hmmmmm perhaps you could make princess your new Avatar?
naughty.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Geeze, I am totally in love with that little creature. She is SOOO sweet!
21.gif

Yes, we definitely need more pics of this precious little one!
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Congrats - as Derek said - dogs are remarkable. I've learned more from my dogs than many other sources.

Mara, it's never too young to train a pup. I like Marlo's book...if you have a dog that responds well to that sort of training. My male did well w/ reinforcing good behaviors (with love and attention - he wasn't treat motivated) and ignoring the bad. The worse "punishment" was too turn my back & not look at him. Many places offer puppy classes. You are correct that it's not a great idea to expose the dog until the second round of shots. Some places will get pups of like age together though. Also, please go to any classes with a group. The single most important thing to raising a nice dog to be around is SOCIALIZATION, SOCIALIZATION & more SOCIALIZATION. Run the vacuum, drop things, pick their food up while they are eating, take toys out of their mouth (of course always give it back). Express dominancy (there are some simple exercises like holding the pup up under their front arms - back feet on the floor - *you* are in control). Be a benevolent Alpha. Dogs love massages - and can be a great bonding exercise. Most of all - be creative - learn what buttons to push & what rewards work. Each dog is a bit different. Have some fun. Puppies aren't easy. You mostly have to save themselves from the world. They will chew through electrical cords if they are exposed. "Leave it" is a good command for them to learn - but it's probably too young to teach right now. You can take the incorrect thing out of their mouth & insert something they can have into the mouth w/ tons of praise. And, oh those razor sharp puppy teeth
6.gif
cry.gif
- I had to walk around w/ oven mitts on my hand. That's one thing about leaving the pup w/ it's litter longer - the pups teach each other "soft mouth". I knew I wanted Gus to be a therapy dog so we had zero tolerance w/ him making contact w/ skin. You're on the right track. Any time I was chewed on, I inserted a chew toy in his mouth. If he got riled up, I would fold my arms, close my eyes & stand their totally ignoring him until he stopped the behavior (yeah, you may look a little ridiculous - but to a dog - it's not).

Regarding housebreaking - I never used a doggie litter box so I don't know where that's at - and may cause some confusion (kinda like paper training). Gus was easy to train - some can be more difficult. We took him out immediately after each meal to the exact same spot. Saying a phrase like "do your business" or poop for cheese. When he peed or pooped, we went CRAZY with praise - like he had just won the lottery for us. My first was motivated for cheese (hence, the poop for cheese). Also, dogs thrive on consistency,like taking them out the same times.

Gus had separation anxiety. It's normal for a pup that has just left it's litter. Dogs are pack animals. Separation from the pack is likened to punishment (hence, the ignoring factor a form of punishment). He, too, peed when we were gone. He even peed in his crate - which is unusual as most dogs don't soil their "den". It was the most stressful of problems. It gradually got better. I would leave for longer & longer times. Each time I left, I would have the same routine - never making a big deal about me leaving. When I came home I said hello- but again, not making any big deal about my return. Unfortunately, there's no magic bullet for this one.

It's great that your pup follows you. It's natural; but, the tendency is good. Take advantage of it by turning to the pup & calling its name w/ the word "come" thrown in - of course w/ happy happy tone. Come is the most important command for a dog to learn.

Buy some books TODAY! Get a variety though. I used Marlo's (the New Art...), The Monks of New Skete "Art of Raising a Puppy", "Raising a Puppy You Can Live With" (author unknown as I gave the book away). I have heard that "Puppies for Dummies" is pretty good also.

Enjoy the puppy breath as they grow up soooo quickly. Believe it or not you will miss their antics. We called Gus "dd" for "devil dog". Even my vet called him "Denise the Menace". He was an embarrassment in obedience class. Don't quit. Don't get frustrated - as this too will pass. Your tenacity will pay off - that pup will "wear the white off of rice"
wink2.gif
Also, when the pup gets older try some agility classes. Not only is it a great fun bonding experience, it will keep you fit!

In the end, read the books & find out what works for *you* & *your* pup. Good Luck & Have some fun!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks F&I for all the great advice. I do have one book so far on Westies that covers some training, and also picked up a Westie magazine that does have a great chapter on various methods of training. I DEFINITELY want a puppy class, and yes one that does like ages and for socialization. She is very social, which is great..lets me pet her while she eats, loves to sit by us or on us, and have intro'd her to some friends which she plays with just like she plays with us. She is starting to recognize doing things for treats...finally! She only had two accidents yesterday and while she was 'doing' something so I can see how she would not notice she had to go then just go. We do go nuts with the insane praising when she pees, we sound like a bunch of nuts about to be committed. Then we give her a little treat. She has started to know when she goes she will get a treat, which is helping her go...but as soon as she is entirely trained on the litter box..we'll start weaning her off the treats. We want to eventually move the litter box downstairs a level and into the garage and get a doggy door...but that's a long ways away and that will take some time in itself (e.g moving it down a level where she can see it from the stairs and putting something else she won't want to pee on in the original place, then once she gets that..moving it slowly towards the garage, always in her line of vision from the last place she'd go). Once she can be outside in the grass after shots, we have a HUGE grass park behind our townhouse and across an inside street. All the dogs in the complex go there, they socialize...its great. I can't wait to take her there, and then hopefully teach her to go outside as well. She won't pee on the tile, only carpet and the vet says thats because she was grass and litter box trained, she likes the texture rather than the smoothness of tile (which would mean she also liked concrete). So we are slowly coming up to speed on things...just as she is learning, we are learning too. There are times when I get incredibly frustrated with her but I try not to yell as I read that to her it just sounds like I am barking at her. Two dogs barking don't get much done. Haha...she is much better at night now finally, as long as we get her good and tired before bedtime. Then she sleeps most of the night..and will cry intermittently in the mornings (6am-9am) until we get up and let her out.

When I am with her, I think about being out and my 'independent' life before her...when I could just get up and go. Now it's a production...I sneak in a shower while she sleeps so I don't have to crate her while I shower, build in an extra 30 minutes to any getting-ready time since I know if she is with us we will have to pull her snoot out of something about 40 times before we can get ourselves finished. But then when we are gone ... I think about her all alone in the house!
sad.gif
It's a hilarious change to our lives, and Greg and I are both huge creatures of habit. We don't like huge schedule-altering changes...which is possibly why we delayed so long as well in doing this...and now that we did, we adore our little devil BUT still have twinges of the carefree, responsiblity-less life before. Now we are responsible for a bundle of energy that weighs 4 lbs, and she relies on us to keep her safe from things, keep her fed, warm and happy. VERY different from a week ago.
2.gif
It feels like she has been with us much longer!

We can already see her changing too, her ears were slightly more floppy before because of the thin cartilege in them..and now they are standing straight up more often. I take her in on Tues for her 2nd set of shots so I can't wait to see if she weighs more. She looks a tad bigger to us but who knows. We saw my parents dog on Friday, a Beagle, and she looked MONSTROUS to us because we are so used to Portia's tiny size. It's going to be alot of fun to watch her grow up, I am trying to catch alot of it on camera because it will be hard for us to remember her as a baby I am sure. She learned to climb the stairs yesterday...it was a huge accomplishment! She learned she can jump from the edge of each stair quickly and keep momentum (since she is so tiny). But nothing can make her go down..we tried last nite for an hour..she is absolutely freaked out. Not even her fave toy, and us and a treat 2 stairs down could coerce her though she did sniff out a few things to try to figure it out and sneak along the wall for a bit...but no go..YET!
2.gif
Give her time.

I will definitely check out the books. I am starting to try to teach her to 'come' and 'kiss' so that when she is biting our feet or hands, we can have her kiss us instead. We'll SEE!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Puppies really are hard work. And, I know about schedule altering -
9.gif
cry.gif
. It's different when one is responsible for caring for a life. That doesn't change; but, they require so much less work after about 8 months.

I can relate to the frustrating aspect. When I think back to Gus, there were times when I wanted to send him packing & the next moment he would do something soooooooooo adorable - I couldn't imagine life without him.

.....And, the only good puppy is a sleeping puppy!
wink2.gif
9.gif

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results