shape
carat
color
clarity

New 10 Stone Right Hand Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As some of you may know...my 2004 "diamond goal" was to have a 10 stone ring ...most likely custom made by Whiteflash with ACA .10c for a tcw of 1ctw.

I had tried this on at a local store (JE) and loved it. Loved the 10 stone look.

Recently I came across what appeared to be an amazing deal on www.signedpieces.com where I surf for eye-candy weekly. They had a .50ctw 7 stone ring for $375. Considering that right now I am saving for various items, the wedding being the primary...my newly created diamond fund only has a few hundred bucks in it. So I was tempted to get something like this small 7 stone ring from a reputable co like SP and see if I liked it as a temp right hand ring until I could pony up the $$ for the 10 stone which would probably at the earliest happen in Dec of this year, if not more like early 2005. Other priorities and all.
2.gif

Al thankfully talked me out of spending $375 on the ring because it wasn't REALLY what I wanted. I had gone back to JE and tried on a similar ctw stone and not really liked it as much as I still liked the 1ctw 10 stone ring. For whatever reason, 7 stone rings just don't do it for me, I like the stretching across the finger look of the 10 stone. It almost looks eternity style.

So I decided to wait for the 'real thing'...the 10 stone ring later this year, or early next.

While surfing around on eBay recently for diamond wedding jewelry..I came across a 10-stone diamond ring! Wow. These are actually pretty rare, a few searches on Google found many 5 and 7 stone rings, but not alot of places carried a 10 stone. So I was surprised to see one on eBay, in the exact style I wanted, shared prong, white gold, etc. When I found the auction, it was at $1...it had just started. So I added it to my watch list and started doing some research on the seller.

I looked at their feedback, and clicked on as many auctions as possible (went back about 7 pages over 3 days) to see what people were buying, what the quality was, and if they were happy, what exactly they said. I have been on eBay a long time and sometimes you can read into people's words what they did NOT really say. I know alot of people on eBay are not secure with giving bad or neutral feedback because they don't want reciprocal. So sometimes an 'okay' positive feedback can speak volumes as opposed to one that is 'enthused' by their purchase. I also found a similar eternity style ring to this one and emailed the bidder through eBay...because the woman had returned her ring. I asked her why she had returned it and if she would do business with the seller again.

She told me what I had somewhat suspected. That the 4ctw eternity ring (which was sold to her as F/G color and VS clarity) was bought to match an F eternity ring she already had. It didn't really match. So she had it appraised (loose use of the term since it was set), they told her that the stones were not F/G and that they were not VS. She wasn't specific, so I asked for more details. She just said that they were not yellow and the ring WAS eye-clean. But the auction had fibbed a tiny bit on the accuracy of the grading. This wasn't really surprising to me at all. But I was happy to hear that the ring was eye-clean and the stones were not yellow remotely. Figured she probably got something like H/I color and SI clarity. Anyway, she said she returned the ring, refund was prompt and she WOULD do business with them again. She also mentioned that the diamonds were a tiny bit gray looking, which was interesting to me...becuase I don't know what gray diamonds look like.

The mis-accuracy of the grading didn't worry me as much as the 'gray' diamond look. But also her stones in this ring were bigger than mine...something like .20c each while mine would be .10c. As most of us know, smaller stones usually can get away with more than the larger stones which do start to show more imperfections.

So I hemmed and hawed over it...it was only a 3 day auction. I was sure that I could get a refund if I wanted one...the guy's feedback was stellar about this...people that weren't happy all said they got their $$ back. There was enough positive, really positive feedback to make me feel a bit more secure. I finally decided (with the help of my trusty diamond sidekick Al) that it was only a small amount of $$ and return policy was good, so lets take a little chance. It also helps that I have spent more than this before on things like BEDDING from eBay...so it's not like I was making a $10k purchase or anything.

So I bid on the auction in the last 15 seconds, didn't mean to cut it that close but I didn't want it being bid up...and got it for $269.99!!
1.gif
YAY! Shipping and insurance etc made the total about $300. Wow! A 1ctw 10 stone ring in white gold with purported G/H stones and VS/SI clarity for $300? A dream come true. ???

But I held judgement and really telling anyone until I got the package. I didn't want to be a 'stupid eBayer' even though I knew what I was getting into..potentially.
2.gif
I warn enough people on here about eBay...but yet I'd taken a chance myself. So the package arrived yesterday at work, I ripped it open and pulled out the ring.

Really beautiful!! My first reaction was that it was sparkly, white and looked amazing on my hand!! No gray look. I was itching to get home and loupe it and idealscope it and play with it. When I got home, I did just that, and snapped some quickie pictures.

From what I could see with the scopes and loupes, they were diamonds...their symmetry was 'good' and they had visible inclusions under the loupe, most of them anyway. However they faced up white, were eye-clean and sparkly! I put it under the H&A Viewer and say that amazingly 2 of them had some semblance of nice arrows. Hmm! The rest were pretty sloppy. Under the IS ...the light return is actually very good, surprisingly. A few have some dark rings around the tables, but for the most part, they return a very good amount of light to the eye according to the IS. Better than some maul cuts we have seen on here!

Bottom line for me...it was shaping up that I had gotten a really nice 10 stone ring for $300.

This morning, I took the ring to Willow Glen Jewelers (aka WG Diamond Company) and had them check it out. They said that they didn't agree wholeheartedly with the 'appraisal' but that yes they were diamonds...and they gave it something like I color and SI2 clarity. Pretty much what I had kind of figured on. In certain lights the diamonds look just as white as my G stones...but in others you can see a slight tint of color. Luckily since it's worn alone on my right hand, that disappears to the casual observer. If I was wearing it with another whiter ring, you may see a slight warmer difference.

So in the end..my eBay purchase was successful!! I love the ring, it's very sparkly..and in some lights it completely rivals my engagement ring! Last night I almost gave Greg a heart attack when we were driving and the streetlights were making the rings sparkle like mad. I held up my left hand and said...'ten thousand dollars' and then held up my right hand and said 'three hundred dollars'...and he made this horrible face. I know...it's evil but it was just SOOO funny!! He is still amazed that something gotten for so cheaply is made so well and sparkles so nicely.

He questioned...how can these guys sell this kind of stuff for so cheap. They sell hundreds of auctions a day. Well the names on the certs and information are Indian (and related), so I wouldn't be surprised if they are importing this stuff in very very cheaply from India. They are located in New Jersey and I found one reference to them online in a bridal magazine or something.

So here are the promised photos....I am really happy about the new ring, and who knows...I may like it so much that I will just keep it and not have the custom one made next year....AND Then I can get something else with that $$.
2.gif
Like this cool 95% eye-clean .54 H I1 EightStar I saw this morning at WG Jewelers.....oh man it's just calling my name to be put into a pendant ala Jax!!! ;0 They've had it for a year so hopefully if I decide to do that, it will still be around!!
2.gif

Specs ala Auction:

1.02 ctw natural diamonds

14k white gold shared prong setting

Color: G-H

Clarity: VS2/SI1

Appraisal: $2000

Specs ala WG Jewelers:

1ctw natural diamonds

14k white gold shared prong setting

Color: ~I

Clarity: ~SI2

Appraisal: $?? (didn't have them bother...it doesn't matter to me really)

WG agreed it was a nice looking ring, and that it was eye-clean...so that corroborates what my diamond-obsessed brain was thinking...good!
1.gif
Yay for this eBay purchase! I love my non-ideal 10 stone $300 ring!!

10 stone collage 1.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Second set of pictures with the loupe, clumsily. I like how you can see the darker sparkles in the stones.
1.gif

10 stone collage 2.JPG

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hey Mara, that's really pretty! I don't usually care for those kinds of rings that much, but I really like the simplicity, yet elegance, that it carries. What a great find - especially for so cheap! Enjoy it!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Mara, it's SO pretty! And for only $300?! Way to go, girl.
appl.gif

Cookiedough

Rough_Rock
You lucky duck! I really love that ring. eh hem....when it starts to "shrink" on your finger, let me know. I have a right hand ring looking for a little friend to keep it company. Yeah for you!
appl.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think you did very well. Eye clean and still in the I range for $300? Good job!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, congratulations on your great purchase! It looks great on you, and it's a great price. Enjoy.
10.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I love the ring!! Lucky, lucky!! The one on your finger looks especially good! How did it look through the IS?

appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Very Pretty Mara...wear it in good health!

Congrats on a successful auction, and if you see something like that w/5 stones let me know!

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he... savy shopper on the loose !
wacko.gif

Thank you for sharing the story and nice pics
1.gif

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
Wow looks like you got a deal on that one! Good for you! I like it a lot!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Very Nice! What a bargain! Congrats Mara

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the great comments guys. The ring is very cool. I already got two compliments on it at work yesterday!
2.gif
The first was from a co-worker who said...'well that is pretty!' when she noticed it and also when I showed my other co-worker he said 'wow, you guys must be rich!'. I said 'eBay baby!'
2.gif

I have gotten some PM's about the seller's name..I didn't mean to omit it. The seller on eBay is ejewelrydeals. I would shop there again, was checking out their stuff yesterday...
2.gif
...but I as noted, shop with a grain of salt...the items still may be very nice when they arrive and more than worth what you paid, but the auctions may not be 100% truthful.
1.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
VVN(ice) Mara! I especially love the fact that you managed to find sucha nice piece for a very reasonable price, savvy shopper alert!
5.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a great compliment to your e-ring, and how much fun to get a great deal! enjoy!

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the beautiful ring!
appl.gif

-Sarah
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's really pretty Mara!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What a steal of a deal, Mara! Well done, it's very pretty!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like your "small" risk brought you a big reward! Great job Mara and very cool story.

Remember my 5-stone I got for Christmas? Well........I'm *still* wearing it on my right/middle finger, haven't shipped it off to MichaelE as yet since I don't really want to put the money out yet with the house going and all (guilt), but also because I really am getting used to wearing it there. I'd still like the 3-stone/earrings option, but I have gotten some very nice compliments on it just as it is.
1.gif
And I paid more than you paid for approx. the same ct wt. So you got a really great deal. I'd keep it too, just because of that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I'm pretty happy with the little charmer. It's the right size for my hand in terms of the 10 stones, ctw etc. The ring itself is probably about 1/4 too big...so I should get it resized but I'm so lazy as well.
2.gif

I'm especially glad I have it because my left hand is soooo lonely and naked, at least I still have a diamond ring to put on every morning.
1.gif
I'd be really depressed if I didn't!

I also figure I can easily re-sell this on eBay for around I paid for it if I want to do that in the next year or two...esp since the 'appraisal' is for $2000...should be able to recoup my costs quite easily. Can't beat that...wear it for a year or so and then re-sell it for the same amount and put that money towards my super-ideal ACA 10 stone ring OR the cute little EightStar I saw at the local WG Jewelers!
1.gif

Sometimes the ring is not as sparkly as I think it could be, of course due to the cut of the smaller stones and possible a few of the SI2 inclusions masking some sparkle, but for $300 it was a stellar deal and I am SO glad I went for it!! The sparkle factor on a scale of 1 to 10 ...1 being the typical ebay crap we see (!) and 10 being something like a superideal H&A...this would be probably around a 6. So not bad AT ALL!!
1.gif

Thanks guys!

Stargazer

Rough_Rock
Oh its beautiful, I love the setting. It looks really good on you. Well done for getting something so good at such a great price.
I was tempted by E-bay with a .80 marquise a few weeks ago, but was scared to risk it despite the positive reports etc from the seller.
Enjoy it, really suits you.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Pretty, pretty, pretty! Like you. Good Match. Good job!!!
You are making me consider looking into eBay... Enjoy!
appl.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice Mara. You did really good on that deal.
I will have to check out their stuff.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results