shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous about resize - can't consult until purchased

engagedgal

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I am looking at this ring at auction right now - old European cut diamond (0.41ct, J/VS1, fair cut) -eight Swiss cut diamonds (0.16ct, F/G, VS1-SI1, fair cut)
Size: 6. I love it but need to get it sized down to 4 3/4 or 5 for my ring finger. I've had a ring sized down before though and the band width really shrunk and it almost ruined the feel and look of the ring for me. Slightly concerned this will happen on this ring. I haven't decided on a local jeweler yet and of course have left this decision to the last minute (auction closes tonight). Anyone have any thoughts? So greatly appreciated!

IMG_5594.jpg IMG_5594.jpg
IMG_5593.PNG IMG_5592.PNG img (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5591.PNG
    IMG_5591.PNG
    265 KB · Views: 3

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there! I am looking at this ring at auction right now - old European cut diamond (0.41ct, J/VS1, fair cut) -eight Swiss cut diamonds (0.16ct, F/G, VS1-SI1, fair cut)
Size: 6. I love it but need to get it sized down to 4 3/4 or 5 for my ring finger. I've had a ring sized down before though and the band width really shrunk and it almost ruined the feel and look of the ring for me. Slightly concerned this will happen on this ring. I haven't decided on a local jeweler yet and of course have left this decision to the last minute (auction closes tonight). Anyone have any thoughts? So greatly appreciated!

IMG_5594.jpg IMG_5594.jpg
IMG_5593.PNG IMG_5592.PNG img (1).jpg

Its really lovelly
could you possibly wear it on a different finger ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately no, this is a frontrunner for my wedding ring :)

Oh its so lovely
I hope someone comes along soon with some encouraging info
good luck
and congratulations to you and your beloved on the upcoming nuptials

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would this be a "final sale"? Unless it's a low enough figure that I don't mind kissing the money good-bye, a non-refundable purchase -- especially of diamonds or gemstones (loose or jewelry) -- is a deal breaker for me because I want to see the stone/jewelry piece under various lightings in real life & have the option to return for a refund if it doesn't delight me. But I realize not everyone is as risk-adverse about this kind of thing as I am.

But a decent return policy that would enable you to take the ring to a bench jeweler for her/his appraisal of the viability of re-sizing -- and return the ring if they say re-sizing would not be a good idea (or would cost more than you'd like) -- would eliminate the risk that you'd be stuck with a ring that won't actually work for you.

engagedgal

Rough_Rock
Would this be a "final sale"? Unless it's a low enough figure that I don't mind kissing the money good-bye, a non-refundable purchase -- especially of diamonds or gemstones (loose or jewelry) -- is a deal breaker for me because I want to see the stone/jewelry piece under various lightings in real life & have the option to return for a refund if it doesn't delight me. But I realize not everyone is as risk-adverse about this kind of thing as I am.

But a decent return policy that would enable you to take the ring to a bench jeweler for her/his appraisal of the viability of re-sizing -- and return the ring if they say re-sizing would not be a good idea (or would cost more than you'd like) -- would eliminate the risk that you'd be stuck with a ring that won't actually work for you.

It's $700 CDN starting bid, and the first big jewellery purchase for both of us. It's in an auction, so would be final sale. I really appreciate this perspective though, thank you! I called a jeweller who has really good reviews and he feels optimistic but I'm not sure if that's reassuring enough for me. I am somewhat risk adverse myself.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy from Auction all the time and for have done so for decades.
Have you seen the ring in person?
Have you checked the diamonds in the setting for looseness, chips and worn prongs?
These factors affect price ie how much you should pay.
As far as resizing goes, it can be done. 1 to 1 1/2 size down isn’t usually a problem, At “worst” it might mean the ring shank when sized smaller is slightly “out of round”.
Is it platinum ? If yes, it will it be a little more expensive and you may end up with a “seam” on the band/ shank.
My other advice is to search for similar “sold listings” on eBay.com and eBay.uk. This way you can work out better what a “fair” price is. At auction of course no one else might be interested = great price or maybe lots of other interested parties = expensive price.
Remember that you will have to add on buyers premium to the hammer price, this can be 15- 25% extra. Check first.
Auctions are no return, no exchange “sold as is”.
As the buyer you are responsible for checking the ring yourself and making your own decision as to condition / value.
If you miss out on this one, there will be others.
Check out eBay sellers (many are business sellers) Etsy and even have a look around your local second hand dealers.

engagedgal

Rough_Rock
I buy from Auction all the time and for have done so for decades.
Have you seen the ring in person?
Have you checked the diamonds in the setting for looseness, chips and worn prongs?
These factors affect price ie how much you should pay.
As far as resizing goes, it can be done. 1 to 1 1/2 size down isn’t usually a problem, At “worst” it might mean the ring shank when sized smaller is slightly “out of round”.
Is it platinum ? If yes, it will it be a little more expensive and you may end up with a “seam” on the band/ shank.
My other advice is to search for similar “sold listings” on eBay.com and eBay.uk. This way you can work out better what a “fair” price is. At auction of course no one else might be interested = great price or maybe lots of other interested parties = expensive price.
Remember that you will have to add on buyers premium to the hammer price, this can be 15- 25% extra. Check first.
Auctions are no return, no exchange “sold as is”.
As the buyer you are responsible for checking the ring yourself and making your own decision as to condition / value.
If you miss out on this one, there will be others.
Check out eBay sellers (many are business sellers) Etsy and even have a look around your local second hand dealers.

THANK YOU! I went to see it twice, first with fiance, second with mom and sister :) all love it but agree I should wait. I'm not shouting from the rooftops about it but do think it's really beautiful. It does have some imperfections etc. and I think I do need to maybe do some more looking around and research like you mention (this is the second ring at auction I've been serious about). There will be others--and I appreciate hearing that it gives me a sigh of relief.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if you’d be happy to buy from the US but there is a vendor many of us can recommend “Ivy & Rose”.
They specialize in vintage style settings and also sell loose OEC diamonds as well as having vintage pre loved pieces available.
I’m all for pre loved, it’s definitely the best value. However, once you start needing to resize or fix a worn prong or replace a chipped diamond, the extra $$$ start adding up.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure if you’d be happy to buy from the US but there is a vendor many of us can recommend “Ivy & Rose”.
They specialize in vintage style settings and also sell loose OEC diamonds as well as having vintage pre loved pieces available.
I’m all for pre loved, it’s definitely the best value. However, once you start needing to resize or fix a worn prong or replace a chipped diamond, the extra $$$ start adding up.

Seconding that Ivy &Rose has nice Art Deco options! Worth checking them out even just for inspirations, if you haven't already.

That's excellent you've inspected the ring in person, since it's so much more difficult to get a feel of auction items condition otherwise. I agree the ring looks like it should be reducible by 1 or 2 sizes without issue - the side stones may loosen a bit in the process, but that would be easily fixable if it happens. However I would worry about the front potentially changing proportions when the whole ring is sized down, since you'd be bending the "shoulders" backwards and everything would be shifting. It's been a gripe for me multiple times, when the ring comes back simply looking different and/or the shoulder/side designs are no longer harmonious, and personally I'm now avoiding sizing down any ring that's not a simple solitaire, after dsappointment with the current state of my own engagement ring after it was resized as part of a repair (long story, but somehow my finger managed to shrink two sizes during the six months while the ring was being repaired, lol). That might be something to consider as well if it's an important purchase and needs to be perfect.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look super-challenging to re-size -- the band looks very thin and uniform almost 3/4 of the way around.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I didn't know when I first posted (and neglected to ask) that you had had the opportunity to see it in person -- that's a definite advantage over eBay :))

A couple of thoughts not yet mentioned re a future purchase: evaluate how thinned out the bottom of the shank (i.e., at the back of the finger) has become. It's no biggie to do a partial re-shank to restore strength to that part of the ring so it doesn't break, but it would be an additional expense. For any kind of resizing (or re-shanking) -- be it a gold or platinum ring -- use a bench jeweler who's comfortable & experienced with a laser welder; that will eliminate the "seam" on the shank that @Bron357 mentioned can happen. Laser welders are more commonplace than they once were, so I'm hopeful that you could find a bench that will use that instead of a soldering torch.

I did a search of the forum for any suggestions for Canadian vendors of vintage-antique jewelry who are not devoted to high-end pieces. Here's the website for 100 Ways in Vancouver (4.9 star Google reviews) that was recommended here in 2020:
Even if there's nothing on the website now that grabs you (I only scrolled through a couple of pages & didn't see anything that I thought "had your name on it"), you could sign up for their email list so you're alerted to the new additions to their inventory.

I hope you have as much fun shopping for a vintage/antique ring as my husband-to-be & I did! And hope that you'll continue to share the search, and then the final selection, with us!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results