shape
carat
color
clarity

Neon pink spinel is cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Finally, after keeping me on pins and needles for a few days, Dan Stair cut my spinel!

But allow me to start at the beginning.

Rough from Jason at Selectgem.com. For some reason, Jason never puts his good stuff on his site. Very frustrating. But it is always worth while to drop him an e-mail. He got me some very nice spess, as well as a faceted pink spinel and some zircon.

His describes the rough as "I''ve got three pieces of Mahenge, Tanzania neon pink spinel rough that is silky and positively glows". I chose piece A, at around 6cts. If I didn''t know and trust Jason, I would have suspected a little photoshopping.

spinel_rough.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The rough was sent to Dan Stair for cutting. Dan is really sweet and, when I first told him of the project, was quite worried that I might have been ripped off (aka., first timer buying rough is pretty much ripe picking for unethical dealers). He received the rough, analyzed it and double checked with me about the silk. I reassured him that the silk was exactly what I was looking for (I want a glowing stone!) and he went ahead and cut it.

At first, we expected a high yield and a finished size of around 2.5cts, but the rough had some internal fractures that had been hidden in the silk. So, finished size of 1.5 cts.

His description:

"I certainly think it''s worth what you''ll have in it regardless of the challenges. The color is nothing less than amazing, and nicer in person than in the photos. It is a glowing, sparkly hot pink that my wife had to look at several times and go, "oooh", "aaaahhh". :)"

Now, what is it about the women in cutters'' lives? First, I had to beat off Tim Spawne''s mother and girlfriend off my spess, now it is Dan''s wife eyeing my spinel...

2.gif

The stone should be mailed tomorrow or soon after. I can''t wait to get it and take a lot of pictures!

CutMahengePnkSpinel.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that turned out amazing. Dan does a marvelous job. I can''t wait to see your photos of it.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
That is a NEON pink!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Jason too and have bought some gemstones from him. But what a difference the colour is from the rough to the final product. Rough A looks to be mildly sleepy with some red but the cut stone is extremely pink and super silky.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, fabulous color!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I love pink stone and yours is fantastic! Can''t wait for you post pictures!
36.gif
36.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Graet color! I need my sunglasses! I would have never expected that color given the color of the rough.

Can''t wait to see pics in various types of light [which, I assume, you will post?
9.gif
].

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow stunning!! I love love that shade of pink - yum! (it reminds me of bubblegum
2.gif
)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone!!!! Love that color!!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I'm in love with the color. What a great idea. Please post pics asap!
I have been after some bright pink spinel for a while w/out success. I like the sleepy look BTW, you won't see much any extinction I bet because of it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please help me find one!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
very cool!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
WOW, your spinel is so Bubbalicious! What a unique neon bubble-gum pink color!!!

I''ve never seen a color like that.
18.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jason still has one piece of rough available if anyone is interested - around 7cts if I remember correctly. Drop him an email - his site is www.selectgem.com.

No - no affiliation what so ever!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
A glowing stone you were searching for and glow you shall receive! Holy moly that is a stunning shade of pink. I am such a newb I had NO IDEA that gems came in that color! Wowza!
31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
WOAH!!! I am now blind. I can not wait to see more pics!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol Clairitek! Gemmies come in ALL colors.

I want real photos ASAP!!!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeous colour! I can''t wait to see your real life pics of it!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow, I bet that baby is just going to GLOW in person. Can''t wait for more photos
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady Disdain,
I can''t get your spinel out of my mind. Please help me find some rough!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:07:27 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Jason still has one piece of rough available if anyone is interested - around 7cts if I remember correctly. Drop him an email - his site is www.selectgem.com.

No - no affiliation what so ever!

Thanks for sharing LadyD!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Didja get it yet?
9.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to more pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you received the stone yet? I can''t wait to "see" it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:27:08 PM
Author: Chrono
Have you received the stone yet? I can''t wait to ''see'' it.
I keep coming back to this thread too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:54:15 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 3/4/2009 7:27:08 PM
Author: Chrono
Have you received the stone yet? I can''t wait to ''see'' it.
I keep coming back to this thread too!
Me too. I can''t wait...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great news! The spinel is waiting for me at the nearest post office. Why did I decide to work late today?

I promise pictures tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results