shape
carat
color
clarity

Neil Lane Double Tiered Setting for My 4 Carat Ring?

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
I'm still shopping for my 4 carat upgrade RB.....Wondering if you all like this setting? Do you think this setting looks modern as well as vintage? Or just vintage? I'm kind of a modern fashion girl, and wondered if this would be okay as an everyday look.....

neillane.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this ring would be gorgeous! I think it's vintage with a modern twist, if that makes sense? If you feel comfortable wearing this everyday, then it's perfectly fine for everyday use! LOVE the double halo.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure what sized fingers you have (and admit I haven't been on RT on ages so I haven't followed your quest), but double halo on a 4 carat is going to be HUGE! I have a 2.5 with a single halo and it's almost a little too big.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well the important thing is that you like it! although a 4 carat RB will be QUITE substantial on its own, and even more so with a double halo...

can you try this ring on in the carat sizes that you are looking at?

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
I have a size 4 ring finger........I wouldn't mind if it covered my whole finger.....but I guess I don't want it to go over the edges??

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks pretty straightforwardly modern to me - vintage rings never had that kind of all-over micropave, and didn't usually incorporate double halos, either (retro 50s pieces, occasionally). It's a pretty design, but like Athena says, you are going to get quite the finger coverage with that! I'd try on something with a similar diameter before making up my mind.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that is a very small finger...I would see if you can try one on to see what it looks like. I suspect it may go over the edges.

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Also, is it okay to wear this alone without a wedding band? i.e. will it look like I'm married and not engaged?

I'm getting the ring custom made but not from Neil Lane, so I'm not sure I can try this on anywhere.....

I noticed that Tiffanys has a similar ring, but on a smaller stone on their website....

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
What do you guys think about going over the edges? I should aim NOT to go over the edges, correct?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
4cts is looking just over 10mm wide + double pave halo = 4 rows... on a size 4 that's going to overhang, but only you can say if that's too much or pleasing to "your" eye. I'd definitely try something in this size range on to see how you feel first.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I really think this setting is going to be too much for a 4 ct ring an da size 4 finger.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would agree with Charmy, unless you live in a large city or have a circle of friends who also have very large rings. I thought I could carry off a 5+ carat ring, but after having it for a few months, realizing that it sat in my jewelry box most of the time, I "downgraded" to a smaller stone. My advice to you is to either try similar sized rings on or buy a fake and wear it for a week or so. I just couldn't get used to it and it was such a stressful experience to go through having to tell hubby that it was too much for me, etc.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1317238732|3028075 said:
I really think this setting is going to be too much for a 4 ct ring an da size 4 finger.

Yeah.

And it's going to look fake. Frankly.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1317240203|3028109 said:
CharmyPoo|1317238732|3028075 said:

Yeah.

And it's going to look fake. Frankly.
That's exactly the thought I had. Unless that's the look you want.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tenyearanniversary|1317230374|3027967 said:
What do you guys think about going over the edges? I should aim NOT to go over the edges, correct?

What does "over the edges" mean? Like OTT?

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportion of ring to finger will certainly be over the top - I'd either reconsider the halo or the size of the center stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1317242010|3028150 said:

cheers--Sharon

I think she means over the edges of her finger...like covering more than just the ring finger

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1317245138|3028192 said:
canuk-gal|1317242010|3028150 said:

cheers--Sharon

I think she means over the edges of her finger...like covering more than just the ring finger

HI:

Right-O.

I have some rather sizeable halo rings--but don't feel any of them impinge on the other fingers whereas I cannot close my fingers together. Then again, I have long fingers, size 6.

Many designs with multiple halos have that vertical element to them rather then spreading out more, horizontally. Don't know if this NL is amongst that type of design, since I have not seen it IRL.

OP--check this ring out IRL and get back to us with your thoughts. You'll know immediately if it is uncomfortable, to the "edge", vintage, modern....aka just right.

cheers--Sharon

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a short video I took of the ring style that I wound up with but the stone in this ring was a 4 ct and I have a size 5.75 finger. It'll give you a good idea of how large it can look with a halo. (keep in mind the person he made the ring for wanted it sitting up REALLY high so try to ignore that) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLQ_MEY7wI

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just some fuzzy math... a 4 ct diamond is probably ~10 mm across. A size 4 finger is a little under 14 mm across. that only leaves 2 mm on either side for any sort of halo. I don't think you really have space for a double halo. Frankly, those proportions of diamond:finger are pretty obscene anyway, IMO. I'd skip the halo.

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! You've definitely made me question the setting.....I live in NYC, and rings this size are not rare here at all. (My ring would be the smallest at some parties........) I dress up alot too, so this would definitely be an everyday ring. I'm going to ask the jeweler what diameter the ring would be. I think you all are right that the ring would go over the edges, and I would not want to be unable to close my hand. Honestly at this point, I'm thinking about just setting the stone in a double claw four prong solitaire because I just cannot decide......Thanks so much, you ladies are awesome!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
tenyearanniversary|1317295558|3028614 said:
Honestly at this point, I'm thinking about just setting the stone in a double claw four prong solitaire because I just cannot decide

I think a gorgeous stone of that (huge! :naughty: ) size in a solitaire setting on your petite fingers would look classic, elegant, and gorgeous. I think a huge rock in that uber blingy setting you posted would not look as tasteful. Then again, i think Kim Kardashian's wedding set looks ridiculous, whereas I'm sure many people here would give their left leg for it, so maybe that's just me! Everyone has their own personal preferences, but I really don't think you could go wrong with a solitaire and a nice rock. maybe get a band with some pave to bling it up a bit without contributing too much to the diameter...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
i was just remembering your other thread...did you decide on a round?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results