carat
color
clarity

Negotiating Price?

vetenks

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I am on a bit of a tight budget so I was wondering if there is any scope for negotiating the retail price with the Diamond vendors?

If any one has any personal experience of this? or recommendations it would be much apreciated, thank you.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/29/2010 3:08:58 PM
Author:vetenks
Hi,

I am on a bit of a tight budget so I was wondering if there is any scope for negotiating the retail price with the Diamond vendors?

If any one has any personal experience of this? or recommendations it would be much apreciated, thank you.
I think you will find that the vendors here all work on incredibly thin margins and that there is little to no room for wiggling beyond the standard Pricescope discounts that are offered.

If you are dealing locally, then yes, there might be some room, but you need to go into the negotiation armed with information. You can find a LOT of that information here at Pricescope.

Wink

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never hurts to ask (politely, this is not a barter
2.gif
).

If you''re buying a custom setting as well from the same vendor they might be able to wiggle on one or the other a little more.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
I have negotiated with some vendors with small decreases in price beyond PS discounts. I think you''ll have better luck negotiating on the jewelry costs as opposed to the loose stone price.

I would encourage all consumers to demand lower prices and put pressure on the sellers. The sellers in return should put pressure on their sources and so on.

Diamonds and jewelry are luxury items that are negotionable.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have never succeed witih negotiating with PS vendors. I guess the margin just isn''t there.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 4:39:37 PM
Author: Wink

Hi,

I think you will find that the vendors here all work on incredibly thin margins and that there is little to no room for wiggling beyond the standard Pricescope discounts that are offered.

If you are dealing locally, then yes, there might be some room, but you need to go into the negotiation armed with information. You can find a LOT of that information here at Pricescope.

Wink
Wink, what vendors give pricescope discounts? (also on a side note, I tried to email you earlier...I am trying to find a split shank setting for a .91ct octavia)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/29/2010 8:48:38 PM
Author: VetChecker

Date: 6/29/2010 4:39:37 PM
Author: Wink

Hi,

Wink
Wink, what vendors give pricescope discounts? (also on a side note, I tried to email you earlier...I am trying to find a split shank setting for a .91ct octavia)
Hmmm, I do not think I got the email, please try again.

As far as what pricescope vendors give discounts, I would guess that most of us do. I would have to go look to see who gives what, but there are probably some here who know it already, but for sure, BG, WF, GOG, High Performance Diamonds, and I am guessing also James Allen. That will get you started and I am sure that others know who else.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My answer for years has been you can ask politely, but don''t feel insulted if the answer is no.

vetenks

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys thanks for all your input.

Sorry late reply, seems my post never posted.

I will try and drive a good bargain with some charm haha, I got nothing else to loose.

Basically I am looking for the following:

The diamond must be a 'Brilliant Round' Cut
My budget is about £6000 ($9000) for everything including shipping and tax! I roughly say $6000-6500 is my limit for the loose stone, if I have to pay for the platinum setting ($1000) on top and very annoying $1500 import tax.
I am preferably looking for the following as a minimum:

Carat: 0.85
Colour: I
Clarity: VS2
Cut is very important to me so this must be excellent, ideal etc.

How important is having the Hearts & Arrows effect? These diamonds seem to have a ‘premium’ when they are in this category but I read somewhere that it doesn’t necessarily mean they are better at performance than non H&A diamonds?

Also at a last resort I am also considering going down the 'second-hand' route for the diamond and having it set in a different ring. Would anyone advise this? And if so where would be the best place for this?
Thanks for all your help!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi vetenks- I'd say you can get a lot more diamond than .85 I/VS2 for your budget.
Do a search for such stones here on PS and you'll find many larger ones in that grade for your target.

You've asked some great questions about "performance"
IMO cut is a very important aspect- but not always in the way you might expect.
There are many cases of stones that have been deemed "best performing" are not preferred by a given buyer.

Do you have an opportunity to look at actual diamonds with GIA or AGSL reports where you are?

ETA- in the category you're looking in, there's going to be very little to negotiate if you're buying from a competitive online seller

vetenks

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yeah I was hoping the specifications I quoted were very obtainable. They are my 'minimum' so hopefully there is some flexibility with that budget if you find a few gems you think I would like.

Thanks for your comments about the H&A performance and it not necessarily a prefered choice for a buyer.

Unfortunately I live in the United Kingdom (U.K) where you may already be aware is quite pricy place for diamonds, to the extent I believe it is cheaper to buy from the USA and pay the 17.5% import tax (plus handling fees) and it still be cheaper!? Additionally I looked locally where I live and it is very expensive and I get the feeling I know more than them! sometimes I get raised eye-brows when I ask if their grading is based on GIA certificates. When they say 'Cetified' that could be anyone! let alone their so called ratings like 'E', VS1 and so fore. Their prices are far too high and too be honest I am not re-assured by their expertise and how and who graded it. I by far am no expert, but I get the feeling they think I only think as Diamonds as Carat and nothing else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results