shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating at Harry Winston - New Rules?

ac936

Rough_Rock
When I first read that Harry Winston was willing to negotiate on engagement ring prices, I was surprised.

Then, I read that Harry Winston would not entertain negotiations on rings under $50,000, which made more sense.

Then, I was told by a HW sales executive that Harry Winston no longer entertains negotiations on rings under $100,000, which might be justified by steadier spending on luxury these days.

Can anyone confirm that HW has a $100,000 threshold these days? My information is current as of late November, 2012.

A

Anonymous

It is nov 2012 so why would the information you received from the company itself be wrong and outdated?

ac936

Rough_Rock
Blake_S|1353805053|3314782 said:
It is nov 2012 so why would the information you received from the company itself be wrong and outdated?

I am not particularly concerned about the information being outdated.

Rather, I would like to check if anyone else has received the same information, just to confirm that I was not erroneously told this in an effort to avoid negotiating, when negotiations are in fact acceptable.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI ac936,
Where did you read this information?
Source of info is important ascertain.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, if I found a ring there that I liked, I wouldn't hesitate to make an offer. The worst that can happen is that they say no. I find these kinds of hard and fast rules relative to cost ridiculous. They certainly don't post such guidelines anywhere so I guess it would be up to a sales associate to give you this info. I'd rather know that a store didn't entertain offers at all rather than be given price thresholds for offers.

ac936

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1353807306|3314806 said:
HI ac936,
Where did you read this information?
Source of info is important ascertain.

I found out about the $50,000 threshold on an online forum.

I found out about the $100,000 threshold directly from a HW sales executive.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I'd try calling again and maybe talking to a manager? Or maybe call some other locations?

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I would try with different people and shops. An eager salesperson who need to hit target will try everything to get the sale.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure I would call --I would dress professionally and go in-prepared to buy at your predetermined price.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1353811640|3314836 said:
I'd try calling again and maybe talking to a manager? Or maybe call some other locations?

Ditto. Not that I don't trust forums, but this the internet, and they're not a direct source to HW.
BUT, that one SA could be fluffing it to the 100k limit bc they want you to buy more, or they want you to NOT haggle.
Call multiple locations to confirm with multiple SAs.

Them allowing haggling = new news to me!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This question is quite funny to me. Do you think Harry Winston is going to advertise that they negotiate on price. Seems silly to me.
I think the sales associate had no idea and put the amount high enough so he wouldn't have to find out or negotiate with you.
Go in, find something within your budget, and then see if you can make an offer. If they look agast, withdraw quickly.

Annette

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think they are saying this to dis sway negotiating. know people who negotiated on 1 ct stones.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smitcompton|1353858800|3315040 said:
Hi,

This question is quite funny to me. Do you think Harry Winston is going to advertise that they negotiate on price. Seems silly to me.
I think the sales associate had no idea and put the amount high enough so he wouldn't have to find out or negotiate with you.
Go in, find something within your budget, and then see if you can make an offer. If they look agast, withdraw quickly.

Annette

BINGO!!!
It makes zero sense for a company to advertise that they negotiate on prices.
Especially a company selling super high end products.
By all means try to negotiate- but don't believe everything written on a forum :wavey:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I was in Harry Winston on 5th Ave last night (tried on a gorgeous 4+carat pear) and I can tell you -fact- they would not negotiate on a ring the gentlemen next to me was trying to negoitate price on. He wanted a 5k discount, and I have no idea what the total price was. But the manager very pointedly but politely said that HW doesn't negotiate on pricing.

prefect

Rough_Rock
Thought I would resurrect this thread, anyone have any new information or experience with price reductions at HW?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prefect|1401563592|3683888 said:
Thought I would resurrect this thread, anyone have any new information or experience with price reductions at HW?
I couldn't afford HW prices even if they gave me a 40% discount... ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results