shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your opinions on this pair of emeralds..!

chipahoy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I'm debating whether I should purchase this pair of emeralds. I like the shade of green and glowy look about it. I am not looking for the fine top quality emeralds as I do not have the budget for them. Can you guys please give me your opinion on this pair? This pair weighs around 10 carats in total. Oiled. Colombian. Can someone please tell me what would be a fair price for a pair like this? It doesn't come with any certifications, but there is a return policy in place so I can get it checked out by my local gemologist.
Thanks!! :)

c2fe2665-5f4d-4fe7-afe6-22274d308c7c.jpg 829a68d5-934c-4e2c-af61-1d177473babe.jpg e02a1e7e-6425-49bd-8192-b10c57fef465.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I like,
The size
The color seems decent for a lesser quality of stone. They’ll look really nice in a halo.

What I don’t like
Very included, so you need a skilled setter.
They may be highly treated in which case, they may get more included over time.
I wish you knew the amount of treatment and type up front.
The color is too pale for my taste,
Not sure how windowed they are, but the included nature of the gems may hide it.

I think it all depends on the price. I’m of the opinion that a tiny vivid stone is more of a worthwhile purchase than a huge commercial quality gem, but that’s me. For some people, size trumps quality.

I probably wouldn’t pay more than $5k for the pair, but if they have significant treatment, I wouldn’t buy them at all.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
704592CB-5C1E-479B-A184-D794C8214190.jpeg This is a heavily included stone with better color. So if you want to save $$$, I would try to at least get a better color. You always have to be careful of heavily included gems though, because that typically means, more treatment. I’ve had this stone for 20+ years, so I don’t think it will look worse than it does now. The oil has dried up.

chipahoy

Rough_Rock
Hi TL,
Appreciate your comments - thanks for taking the time! I very much like the colour and size ;)2 I found out it's just oiled with no other treatments.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TL,
Appreciate your comments - thanks for taking the time! I very much like the colour and size ;)2 I found out it's just oiled with no other treatments.
Almost all emeralds are oiled, it’s the amount that matters!!

chipahoy

Rough_Rock
I was told it's not heavily oiled, regular oiled. :confused:

chipahoy

Rough_Rock
Thanks again TL :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is the pair that I think they are -
The asking price is well under the $5k max TL threw out there.
I just am shrinking back from the vendor statement that “they are a great long term investment”.
If that’s the look you want and you are ok with the price- go for it. They have a great return program if you don’t like IRL. It just cannot be a massive bargain find on upper quality stones. They have no reason to be selling top/upper middle quality stones with no lab report.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way are those investment stones. I don’t know the price, but if they’re relatively inexpensive, then check them out. Just know that over the years they may get more cloudy over time if the oil dries up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that in low quality emeralds like that, you may also have to worry about colored oil.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results