shape
carat
color
clarity

Need urgent help selecting between 2 diamonds!!!

baker055

Rough_Rock
Here are the specs of the 2 diamonds...

Diamond #1:

Cut: GIA Excellent
Color: G
Carat: 1.28
Clarity: VS2

Table: 58
Depth: 61.8

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None

Crown Angle: 35 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 41.2 degrees

Measurements: 6.92 - 6.94 x 4.28 mm

Diamond #2:

Cut: GIA Excellent
Color: G
Carat: 1.28
Clarity: SI1

Table: 55
Depth: 60.6

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Small

Crown Angle: 34 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.8 degrees

Measurements: 7.03 - 7.07 x 4.28 mm

Both of these diamonds are essentially the exact same price. The SI1 has been checked out by Blue Nile and is deemed to be "eye clean", and I was told the VS2 had been checked (although not entirely necessary since it is a VS2) and it is "eye clean" as well. The only real difference between the 2 diamonds is the clarity, table and depth %, and crown and pavilion angles. Please help!! I am having such a hard time trying to decide!! Is it a complete toss up?? Or is one definitely going to look and appear different than the other to the human eye?? I am not as concerned with all the lab tests that are done of the diamonds, only with how they look to my girlfriend's unaided eyes.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
well, the measurements are pretty comparable. Have you run the numbers through the HCA calculator? I would for you but I'm on my phone.

Also, have you seen any pictures? Those are ideally VERY helpful. BN doesn't do ideal-scope images I believe but after looking on my own for the past couple months and finally contacting a PS vendor I can't tell you how much better I feel talking to someone who is able to email me pictures of things we are talking about since I can't see them - on a virtual stone I found no less.

In the end, if you can't see pictures, and their HCA's are between 1-2 both respectively, AND your set between these 2... I would go with the one with the VS2.

But, I would honestly call a PS vendor (I called IDJ in NYC, however GOG makes videos of your diamonds for you as well as taking a million photos) and have them call in your stones - or others that may be comparable :).

baker055

Rough_Rock
nicstx|1336140811|3187407 said:
well, the measurements are pretty comparable. Have you run the numbers through the HCA calculator? I would for you but I'm on my phone.

Also, have you seen any pictures? Those are ideally VERY helpful. BN doesn't do ideal-scope images I believe but after looking on my own for the past couple months and finally contacting a PS vendor I can't tell you how much better I feel talking to someone who is able to email me pictures of things we are talking about since I can't see them - on a virtual stone I found no less.

In the end, if you can't see pictures, and their HCA's are between 1-2 both respectively, AND your set between these 2... I would go with the one with the VS2.

But, I would honestly call a PS vendor (I called IDJ in NYC, however GOG makes videos of your diamonds for you as well as taking a million photos) and have them call in your stones - or others that may be comparable :).

Diamond #1 scores a 3.7 on the HCA scale

Diamodn #2 scores a 0.9 on the HCA scale

Though I have been told that these differences to the unaided eye are not noticeable. Is this true or no?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
baker055|1336140971|3187409 said:
nicstx|1336140811|3187407 said:

Diamond #1 scores a 3.7 on the HCA scale

Diamodn #2 scores a 0.9 on the HCA scale

Though I have been told that these differences to the unaided eye are not noticeable. Is this true or no?

I can't answer that question, I'll let one of the experts chime in. They may actually find you some other diamonds to consider as well.

Again, I really think you should have a PS vendor call them both in and look at them as numbers are always subjective - something that scores well can not be as pretty and one that doesn't. GOG (good old gold) has a great knowledge section that has helped me understanding numbers vs. visual appeal. It might not be a bad idea to browse their website and videos :). That's what I've been doing.

HOWEVER, if it were me and I ONLY had these 2 choices, I'd go with #2 - as long as I could return it if i didn't like it.

as a side note, our situations are similar. I found a virtual stone, couldn't muster up the courage to buy it, went shopping in the boston diamond district to visualize things, and now - i'm finally realizing I should have just had the PS vendor I used call in the stone for me from the beginning.

I look forward to what the experts say, :wavey: good luck!

greenm75

Rough_Rock
I'd go with Diamond 2 if its truly eye clean. I happen to like a smaller table and 55% is perfect for my taste as is the crown and pav angles.
Also, with the Si1 prob getting a better value, but it all has to be "mind" clean for you too. I learned this the hard way and know how difficult these decisions can be.
cheers
MG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results