shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to rant...

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
So, I've been working on my MFA in creative writing through a low-residency program for 3 years now (part-time program while I'm working part-time). I've spent over a year just working on my manuscript. In order to graduate, my school requires a full-length (over 150 pages, which I far exceeded), complete work to be submitted, and then we have to go give a defense and a public reading from our work. The most recent guidelines we were given say that a student's mentor has to write to the program director to say that the manuscript is ready for review, and then the manuscript must be delivered to school 6 weeks before the anticipated defense date. The previous information, which is still up on the program's website, says one month. Defenses have to take place during the regular school year, but can't be within the last 2 weeks of the semester.

So I worked my a** off to finish my nearly 400 page novel by the beginning of this month so I would be able to finish this semester. My mentor wrote to let them know I was ready a couple of weeks ago. I sent in my manuscript 7 weeks before the latest possible defense date. When I didn't hear anything from school all week, I emailed my program director to make sure she had gotten my manuscript, only to find out that she hadn't seen it. Luckily, this morning she found the box sitting in the corner of some random office where it didn't belong and told me she would get back to me later about scheduling my defense.

Then I get an email from her this afternoon saying how wonderful my manuscript looks and oh by the way, we've already scheduled 4 other defenses in April and your manuscript is awfully long, so we want to give it the attention it deserves, so we'll get back to you in a few weeks with a date for your defense... in September or October!!! :angryfire:

I should also mention that I have a large amount of student loan debt waiting for me that I will have to start repaying as soon as June, and I have been depending on the fact that I will have my master's degree in hand this spring. I have already started applying for jobs! Never once was I given any indication that if I did everything I was supposed to do on time, they still might not be able to accomodate me this semester. Not to mention that if I had known I might not be able to finish my degree this semester, I would have taken another month or 2 to work on it!

Anyway, I sent a slightly angry email back restating that I did everything I was told I had to do, and it is VERY important to me to graduate this semester, so I'm hoping they'll have a heart and figure something out, but right now I am just livid! I have been stressing for months to get this thing done... all for nothing??? UGH!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH!! That is so frustrating!! I understand why you are so upset - you followed the rules as they were laid out and met all the objectives... but someone, somehow, screwed it up on you!! ARGH!!! :angryfire: I don't know what to say but just stay cool now - wait for their response and don't reply right away. Think the next steps thru before reacting in haste...

I hope they can show some compassion for the situation and reschedule your defense much sooner. DUST DUST DUST that this will turn around for you!!

DUST DUST DUST!!

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry that you are going through this! Hopefully they will be able to schedule you to this semester. At least it is now completed and takes a weight off your shoulders. You did everything you need to do, now it is time for them to step up.

Holy cow!!! 400 pages. I get intimidated thinking about longer than one - double spaced!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You wrote a 400 page novel! What! That's awesome, congrats!!! Is that 400 single or double spaced pages? :naughty:

I hope everything works out. It has to! Maybe they'll come up with some kind of compromise where you can graduate on time and defend later. They can't be monsters! Good luck and lots of dust!!!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
This is terrible! I really feel for you. The prolonged, daily stress of trying to get your thesis/dissertation/manuscript done AND on time is such a heavy burden. I really hope they can work something out for you...it's ridiculous that your submission 'disappeared', someone needs to pay! :devil: I've been through the master's thesis writing thing and I can remember all too clearly how anxiety provoking it was. Fingers crossed for you.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Director finally just emailed me back and says she is "optimistic" she can get my defense schedules for sometime in mid to late May, even though that's technically during summer break. Whatever, I'll take it! Really hope she can make it happen for me! Dust please :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy crap, that's a lot of pages! I can barely write out 10 page essays! Yikes! Good job! :appl:
Half of all the PS dust in the world for you that it works out! I'm keeping the other half. MINE! I'm waiting for graduate school replies :errrr:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
jazzoboe|1363718394|3408792 said:
Director finally just emailed me back and says she is "optimistic" she can get my defense schedules for sometime in mid to late May, even though that's technically during summer break. Whatever, I'll take it! Really hope she can make it happen for me! Dust please :)

Best of luck with the final scheduling!
I'm sure the fact that you adhered to the requirements and emphatically expressed that has helped!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIPPEE!!! I hope it works out for you Jazzoboe!!! Fingers crossed and a super big POOF of dust coming your way... DUST DUST DUST!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
***DUST DUST DUST*** for getting your defense scheduled soon and also for defending successfully!!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results