shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Suggestions for Summer Vacation ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all ...
35.gif

Contiplating a summer "Family" vacation. We have a total of 9 days (be back on 9th ... go to work on 10th etc...) Starting on July 1st. So, Fourth of July Fireworks would be a plus.

Ok, limited budget, so no exotic locales
emsad.gif
, no airplanes, heck with the price of gasoline ... we might just be walking!

I need some suggestions. We live in Oregon ... so we could drive.

Some places that I thought would be great would be the Grand Canyon, however ... the temps at that time of month are going to be litterally blazing hot, so that will be on the bottom of the list for this vacation.

I will consider anything within a 2 days worth of driving each way.

Love water, so Ocean, lakes or streams would be good.

Seeing something historical is good, or seeing nature ie; like those eagles
face23.gif
Storm posted the site to ...

I am just trying to think budget concious, but would like to have a nice relaxing time too.

Sleeping on the ground doesn''t sound all that great
20.gif
, but I guess those blow up type matt''s might be ok??? Anyone have any experience with those?

Of course daughter would love to go horseback riding, Son & hubby would like to do charter fishing, ... I want a cabana boy, chef and maid, however I don''t think all this is going to happen this trip!
38.gif

Has anyone been to see Old Faithful? or ... Mt. Rushmore? If so, what did you like about it, and what did you not? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Does anyone live near Victoria? Hubby took me there when we were engaged, first time alone without kids ... only spent the weekend there, it was beautiful, and I understand that there is so much more and you can drive around the island ... any suggestions would be great!

Ok ... So I am pondering what to do ... what to do ... I don''t have that much time left to plan as we both just got back our requests that we made at the first of the year, and don''t forget that I am a huge "firework''s" kind of gal!
9.gif

Thanks for anyone who might shed some light, wisdom and any experiences of Northwest or Pacific Northwest, or just fun that you have had, and widening my thoughts and choices of things to do!

Have a beautiful day!
35.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
My parents live in Seattle, love that whole area- that isn''t too far away, tons of stuff to do there. Space needle, pike place market, drive the Cascade loop here

I can recommend tons of restaurants in Seattle, there is tons of fun cheap stuff to do within the city as well. I am going out the second week of June and I cant wait!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Darlin'' Joy! It will be hot in the West and Southwest, so I understand your not wanting to go to the Grand Canyon unless you absolutely must...I posted on your other thread about our experience there, but that was in the first part of November so it was nice out--not hot, not cold.

Is there someplace around Oregon or surrounding states where you could rent a house on a lake? My husband and I live right outside Chicago and are renting a house in WI for the week of 4th of July this year...it''s on a lake and comes with a pontoon boat, canoes, your own dock, etc. The house used to be the main lodge of a resort and sleeps 12 people or so (some friends will be joining us for 4th of July weekend), and we are bringing our dogs. It''s a kid-friendly thing to do, although none of us have children yet. We were looking for a summer vacation that would be peaceful and not too hot, same as you. Have you gone online and looked at Canada at all? I''m assuming you could drive there...

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 8:09:10 AM
Author: pinkflamingo
My parents live in Seattle, love that whole area- that isn''t too far away, tons of stuff to do there. Space needle, pike place market, drive the Cascade loop here

I can recommend tons of restaurants in Seattle, there is tons of fun cheap stuff to do within the city as well. I am going out the second week of June and I cant wait!
Thanks PinkFlamingo ...
emrose.gif

We have been to Seattle a few times, done the space needle, done Enchanted waves, done Pike Market, seen a few Seahawks games ... We havent'' done the Cascade loop though ... have to talk to hubby and kids about that as a possibility. Sometimes my mind gets so closed channeled ... and I am really trying to open up about ideas on what to do ... I am tired of doing the same ol'' thang! The one thing that sounds good during the 4th of July, I do know Seattle does have a great fireworks show every year from what I have heard!
emteeth.gif

Someone at work today said something about these Islands ... ??? San Jaun??? something about nature reserve or something to that effect ... have you heard about them? Curious I am!

Thanks and I''ll keep in touch ... and maybe have to take you up on the "cheap" things to do within the city!
2.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 9:48:17 PM
Author: monarch64
Hi Darlin'' Joy! It will be hot in the West and Southwest, so I understand your not wanting to go to the Grand Canyon unless you absolutely must...I posted on your other thread about our experience there, but that was in the first part of November so it was nice out--not hot, not cold.

Is there someplace around Oregon or surrounding states where you could rent a house on a lake? My husband and I live right outside Chicago and are renting a house in WI for the week of 4th of July this year...it''s on a lake and comes with a pontoon boat, canoes, your own dock, etc. The house used to be the main lodge of a resort and sleeps 12 people or so (some friends will be joining us for 4th of July weekend), and we are bringing our dogs. It''s a kid-friendly thing to do, although none of us have children yet. We were looking for a summer vacation that would be peaceful and not too hot, same as you. Have you gone online and looked at Canada at all? I''m assuming you could drive there...
Hi Monarch64 ~
emrose.gif

Hot is ok, just not blazing! I dunno ... Grand Canyon sounds awesome ... but July??? I heard it will be 100 degrees +++ ... I guess if the Grand Canyon had some Ocean Front property for me to play in, it wouldn''t sound so awefully hot!

We have done so much already in our own state, it is truely beautiful and gorgeous ... just want to do something different. All the mountains, trees and gorgeous scenery is ... always here ... I just want to see something different than what I already see everday. If anyone ever wants to visit Oregon ... I surely can direct them in the best places to be and at what time of year!

I thought about doing the Houseboat thang on Mt. Shasta ... but as of late ... it''s just all college students having a wild time ... lots of accidents have been happening the last couple of years ... friends of ours had their sons friend die, and another severely injured and spent months in a hospital down there because of drugs and alchohol ... they just don''t mix with boating and water! So, were passing on the Mt. Shasta idea.

As far as Canada ... Hubby said that British Columbia (Victoria) or one of the other lil'' Islands sounds good, but I don''t know since 911 if we have to have passports or not. If we do, we won''t have enough time to get the kids their passports. It is something to consider, I just don''t want to be cold ... yet at the same time I don''t want it to be 100 degree''s either.

I always try to incorporate something new in our travels. My kids compared to their friends have been to see so many things already, and they are only 14 ... but I think it helps make them more well rounded by experiencing different places, different lifestyles, etc ... It is amazing what you can see or do in a 3 or 4 day weekend!

Well, I am off for now ... will do some more reasearch and get back with you all.
Thanks for helping!
35.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef national parks in Utah? It will be toasty in July but the scenery is spectacular. Have you been to the Olympic peninsula in Washington? I''d love to see the Hoh rainforest. I live in southern Oregon. Which part of the state are you in?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darlin Joy, I thought it only took a few weeks to get passports, and that you could pay a fee to expedite them??? DH had to get one for traveling to Canada and it was 4-6 weeks originally, but he paid a fee to expedite the process and received it in two weeks. Just some food for thought, in case you haven''t written off Canada completely as of now.

You''re right, the GC will be super hot in July. Not comfy weather for anyone! Our helicopter pilot told us he took a few people out during the summer months who ended up passing out once they touched down in the canyon due to heat stroke, so I wouldn''t want to risk that. Better to go sometime when it''s sweater/jacket weather. And of course it''s one of those things that will always be there.

I think someone mentioned Yosemite before in this thread or your other... I think that would b a fabulous thing to do, especially with kids. I''m wondering if you could rent an RV for the week? If so that would be a great way to go; you wouldn''t have to deal with the cost of buying one/parking it when not using it, nor would you have to worry about hotel/motels or tents and air mattresses, ha ha!

Hubby and I found our vacay spot just by surfing the net, and I bet you can do the same. Otherwise, I would call your travel agent if you have one and see what he/she recommends?

It''s so hard to choose and I bet it''s even tougher to find something that will please not only you and your DH, but your kids as well. Something will turn up, though!
35.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
What about Lake Powell? It is in Utah...and it is amazing.

I used to live in Denver and my friend''s parents took us there for a vacation one summer.

It is hot, but it is lovely. The water is cool and it is just a really beautiful place.

We rented a house boat when we went...and we slept on top of the boat at night to look at the stars. It was super cool.

Here''s a pic...

lake-powell-utah.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results