shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help with OEC stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rgrdgr1

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Need a some advice/opinions on a stone in a ring that my gf really likes. I have been reading on here for some time now and know way more about diamonds than when I first started, so Thanks to you all for the great info posted here.

The stone in the ring is listed as an SI2, color I, .63cts and is in a vintage repro platinum setting. You can really see the dark specs throughout the stone.

Would you consider stone to be an SI2?

Thanks for your help.

rog

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean "you can really see them" in real life, or in the photo?

In real life, then they seem a little heavy for SI2. In the photo, not surprising as it''s probably magnified more than 40X.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The inclusions which appear to be in the diamond from looking at the photo would make me think the stone is a decent I1 and with the liberal approach to clarity many sellers take on mounted diamonds a grade of SI2 does not seem unusual although I personally might discount it to the next lower clarity. Really, at .63ct and I color, the value difference between SI2 and I1 is about $350 wholesale. If you love the mounting the strength of your love for the entire ring certainly can overcome such a relatively minor obstacle. If you were buying ONLY the diamond, then the exact grade would be a larger consideration. Of course, the mounting is a "reproduction", so there is no rarity involved in the mounting. Its more a matter of convenience not to shop for the right price. The price may well be based on I1 anyway so the $350 difference mentioned may not exist in the asking price of this individual item as it could be totally fairly priced right now.

rgrdgr1

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the replies.

I was just refering to what you see in the picture.

I am no expert, but what is visible in the pic seemed a bit excessive for an SI2. What I was thinking was purchasing the ring and finding a little nicer stone, but I did not want to pay for something that is not quite what is stated.

Does pricing in the mid to upper 2k range sound fair?

Thanks again for help!

Rog

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The appraisers who participate here really enjoy helping consumers becuase we traditionally saw them after they had made their purchase and they were sort of stuck with the problems. Now we can help folks make good choices before they commit to buy. However, placing values or providing a hypothetical opinion of value to an item we have not personally examined is considered a poor choice by most major appraisal organizations, especially NAJA. There are many reasons why getting into an evaluation based on a description and an image can be highly flawed, yet an opinion offered by an expert is considered binding. So we tend not to go there.

I suggest you do a Pricescope search for a diamond, a modern cut is fine, of similar color and clarity. Let''s assume the color is resonably correct although it may not be. Search for .60 to .65 SI2-I1 / H-I color round and see what that costs. Then add on a mounting value. I suppose you can shop for similar on several sites. You''ll know enough to make some informed decision, I sure.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... the OEC might be older than the repro setting. I love the old cut and vintage setting. While the inclusions in the picture do bother me somewhat I'd rather examine the stone in real life before deciding. But the price you quoted seems fair IF the stone is eyeclean in reality.

rgrdgr1

Rough_Rock
Oldminer,

Thanks for the insight. In checking the comparisons, the ring is a little on the high side, even with it being on sale right now. I think I will keep on looking for now.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Rog

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Just as an aside, there are quite a few posts about Faye Cullen on here (I am 99% sure just by the photo that that is where this ring is from).

I suggest you do a search on here and read through all the posts if you do consider buying anything from them..... stones OR settings.

That''s all I''m going to say about them.......

- Jodie -

rgrdgr1

Rough_Rock
Yes, I did some searching on here about them, and have read the posts That is the majority of the reason to keep looking.

Rog

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results