shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbozz318

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I''m looking to pull the trigger and buy an engagement ring in the next few weeks, and I was hoping for some advice before I make the purchase. My total budget for the ring and stone is $15k. I know she wants a round stone in a platinum solitaire setting, as close as possible to the Tiffany classic setting. Some questions I''ve been dealing with are:

1) Where do I compromise when it comes to the 4 C''s? This is the big issue for me. How large can I reasonably expect to go and where should I draw the line on color, clarity, and cut?

2) Should the decision of four-prong versus six prong setting impact my choice of stone? (she has no preference on this)

3) Diamond district versus suburban NYC area? I know the benefits of buying online, but I want to be able to look someone in the eye and have a physical presence nearby should any issues arise. (I understand I''m paying for this decision).

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 12:23:43 PM
Author:jbozz318
Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I'm looking to pull the trigger and buy an engagement ring in the next few weeks, and I was hoping for some advice before I make the purchase. My total budget for the ring and stone is $15k. I know she wants a round stone in a platinum solitaire setting, as close as possible to the Tiffany classic setting. Some questions I've been dealing with are:

1) Where do I compromise when it comes to the 4 C's? This is the big issue for me. How large can I reasonably expect to go and where should I draw the line on color, clarity, and cut? Make sure you find a well cut stone, then adjust carat, colour and clarity according to preference and budget. As long as the cut is excellent you can consider a middleground of G or H colour and VS clarity, or to get extra bang for the buck verified eyeclean SI clarity and I or J colour ( GIA or AGS graded). Stick to GIA Excellent and AGS0 cut grade initially to narrow the field for well cut diamonds. Depending on your priorities you could get something of around 1.5 cts to 2 cts thereabouts, this can be adjusted according to your preference of the colour and clarity specs.
Here is a great diamond from goodoldgold.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5848/

2) Should the decision of four-prong versus six prong setting impact my choice of stone? (she has no preference on this)
This is personal preference.
3) Diamond district versus suburban NYC area? I know the benefits of buying online, but I want to be able to look someone in the eye and have a physical presence nearby should any issues arise. (I understand I'm paying for this decision). See below.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Welcome!

Firstly I would suggest if you don't mind taking a trip to LI, make an appointment with Jon at www.goodoldgold.com and see more thoughts above. As to the diamond district it is a minefield for the rookie, unless you deal with known vendors.

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com

www.jamesallen.com have offices where they see clients in NYC, appointments will be needed for the above vendors.

jbozz318

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results