Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need recommendation for a UK jeweller to make a vintage style platinum ring

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I have a sapphire that I would like to be set into a custom platinum ring in a vintage or antique style. Something like the photo below. I want bezel set stones, milgrain, and high quality workmanship.

I'm not going to ship my stone abroad, and it's not a calibrated size so I don't want to risk buying a mount, so I'm looking for a UK jeweller that would work with my stone. Any recommendations? @dk168 I saw that you worked with Simon Wright. Do you think he'd be able to do something like this and do you think his prices are reasonable? My budget is around £2000.

1613391836580.png

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely recommend Simon Wright for this type of work for his ease of contact and professionalism.

However, I have had just one piece of jewellery made by him which was to repurpose my mum's MRB in a platinum open bangle with no millgrain.

Therefore I cannot vouch for his millgrain work, sorry!

Hope this helps.

DK :))

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I have heard back from Simon and he can do it. I need to decide what size stones I want for the halo since it affects the price. Fyi my finger size is US 3.5. I mocked out how it would look with sellotape and some stones I had available. The real thing will have diamonds.

This is with 2.5mm halo and 3mm stones on the shoulders:
IMG_20210216_121822__01.jpg

This is with 3mm halo and shoulders:
IMG_20210216_122341__01.jpg

Which looks better? Or should I lose the shoulder stones completely?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both lovely, I like the second one but I tend to like the ‘bigger’ option :D. Does Simon do a cad or is it handforged?

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear Simon can make the ring for you.

I prefer the smaller version as the halo is less likely to outshine the centre stone.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
Both lovely, I like the second one but I tend to like the ‘bigger’ option :D. Does Simon do a cad or is it handforged?

He does both. But I am also leaning towards the second one. I wouldn't want halo DSS.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok well if you go with cad you will get a good idea. I think the second one will be a lot more blingy, I like the shoulder stones.
However your inspiration ring is Edwardian style and they did tend to use smaller diamonds and pave shoulders. The bigger diamonds and one on the shoulder feels more Victorian or mid 20th century to me. Both styles are lovely. Is the inspiration ring to show just diamond placement and shape or the overall style you are after as well?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My eye is also being drawn to the first one (smaller halo) but I'm wondering if that's because the stones are a different colour and it's the contrast I'm being drawn to (not that that will matter with the diamonds). Good to hear you found somone in the UK.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the smaller stones too.

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
My husband chose the smaller stones too. Maybe I should go with the majority opinion. It would be cheaper too!

I'm not too fussed about exactly which era I'm copying - anything with a vintage feel is fine.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.