shape
carat
color
clarity

Need QUICK advice choosing between 2 fancy pink diamonds!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have 2 Fancy Pinks on hold but can buy only one. I need to make a quick decision :) Help me choose, please!

Stone 1

Pear shape, VS2, .21 carat Argyle Pink, Argyle color 6P, Argyle and GIA cert.

Stone 2

Radiant shape, VS, .21 carat, Fancy Orangy Pink, (not Argyle), GIA cert.

Cost is the same and both are from very reputable companies popular on PS.

pinkstone1.jpg

pinkstone2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need QUICK advice choosing between 2 fancy pink diamonds

The pear, by a landslide.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1305476474|2922362 said:
The pear, by a landslide.

My thoughts exactly.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

YAY, two unanimous votes for the pear. Can you share your thoughts why? I was leaning towards it but for emotional rather than practical reasons.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I prefer the pear mainly because the color looks cleaner and fresher.
Secondly the pattern seems to me more pleasing and clear.
The pear's facets and virtual facets will be larger, so you will bet larger flashes of colored light - an important advantage in diamonds of this size.

When I saw them both the pear made me go, Ahhhh!
The radiant made me go, Meh!

The only way I'd buy that radiant is if I had a design and it fit into the design with other FCDs, or I was a collector and needed that hue to fill a hole in the collection.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another reason to pick the pear is they face up large.
I have a collection of 10 FCDs in this size range and 4 of them are pears.

These 3 kids are a good example.
0.08 Fancy Intense Greenish Blue Pear
0.12 Fancy Grayish Violet Pear
0.27 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink Emerald Cut

They appear to be much more similar in weight than they are.
Of course it depends on the depth but pears DO face up large.

Screen shot 2011-05-15 at 9.42.41 AM.png

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Because I got a .57 radiant that color off ebay for $350. That pear however, looks like something special.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not an expert in colored diamonds by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the pear clearly is the winner between these two. It is a beautiful shape and beautiful color (clearly pink), and I always will prefer a pretty pear over a radiant in any color because I like the cut better.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

another vote for the pear.

what do you plan to do with it?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another vote for the pear. How exciting to be getting a pink diamond.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

I remember seeing these when I was looking at the fancy diamonds. I love the pear a lot, the color seems to glisten (although that could just be the pictures) but the radiant is just "nice" - the pear really stands out and will look amazing. The color of the radiant isn't very spectacular to me. Although I like it, some of the flecks would annoy me after a while.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

kelpie|1305477770|2922379 said:
Because I got a .57 radiant that color off ebay for $350. That pear however, looks like something special.

from who? could you provide the username?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you guys, I went ahead and placed the order for the pear. I will post photos once I receive it :appl:

I intend to buy a setting separately and I really like this one by James Allen :

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-White-Gold-Thin-French-Cut-Engagement-Ring.html

What I am confused about is: given that my pear is .21 will it look miniscule in a setting such as the one above and if so, perhaps I should be looking at halo settings?

I don't know if the ring above would even have prongs to fit a stone that small... also, I am thinking that perhaps a rose gold setting or rose gold head would look better than white...

I'd appreciate setting suggestions from you guys, but I do not intend to spend more than $1000 on the setting. Most of my budget went to the diamond :lickout:

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

rubyshoes|1305482661|2922441 said:
Thank you guys, I went ahead and placed the order for the pear. I will post photos once I receive it :appl:

I intend to buy a setting separately and I really like this one by James Allen :

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-White-Gold-Thin-French-Cut-Engagement-Ring.html

What I am confused about is: given that my pear is .21 will it look miniscule in a setting such as the one above and if so, perhaps I should be looking at halo settings?

I don't know if the ring above would even have prongs to fit a stone that small... also, I am thinking that perhaps a rose gold setting or rose gold head would look better than white...

hmmm If I was getting it I don't know about putting it in a halo... I have seen some beautiful halos around a diamond that is similar to yours... but the gold that was used was rose gold, so that really added the whole thing. But I also think that fancy colored diamonds are so special themselves so I would try to let it stand out on their own. What about going w/ a ring that has like a 1.5 mm shank aka smaller pointers used in the melee ?? it will face up a bit larger.. wait and see once it arrives. Can you go into a local jewelers shop and ask to try on one of those temporary ring holders. put the diamond in that and see how you like it before you opt for the halo...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The pear is gorgeous! Great decision.

I have a tiny emerald cut pad sapphire of similar colour set in 18k rose gold and I feel it drowns the colour a bit. I think it would have been highlighted more in a yellow or white metal.

Just my experience! Congrats, that diamond is incredible.

ETA: what are the dimensions of the pear? I really like the JA setting, it would be so delicate and pretty.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

here is a picture of that ring with a 0.31 ct round
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/pave/3305/Diamond-Ring.html

I would probably go with a bezel or halo to emphasize the pear shape and ensure that your beautiful diamond does not get 'lost' in the setting! that would also give more presence on the hand

here is a picture of a ring I really like
pearbezel.jpg

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

shimmer, meaurements are 4.76 x 3.51 x 2.16 mm

All, thank you so much for your input. I purchased from Leibish and I was in contact with Amir, who is very very nice and prompt. So far, I have liked Leibish's way of doing business :praise: Hopefully all goes well!

Bibbi

Rough_Rock

I am late - but the pear is stunning! and the color is what I would associate with a pink diamond - congrats! :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Congrats on purchasing such a lovely pink pear! I tend to agree with SLG- I think that a bezel or halo would play up the pear shape nicely.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubyshoes|1305484072|2922456 said:
shimmer, meaurements are 4.76 x 3.51 x 2.16 mm

All, thank you so much for your input. I purchased from Leibish and I was in contact with Amir, who is very very nice and prompt. So far, I have liked Leibish's way of doing business :praise: Hopefully all goes well!

I agree.
Congratulations.
After 15 transactions (going on 16 :Up_to_something: ) I still say that Leibish is the BEST! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm looking forward to pics of your new beautiful pinky.

Frenchgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Pear !!! :love: :love:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

What do you guys think of these ebay settings? Apparently both can be modified to fit any center stone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pear-7x11mm-0-92Ct-Diamond-Semi-Mount-Ring-14Kt-Gold-/180665266149?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item2a107d2fe5

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pear-6x8mm-Solid-14Kt-Rose-Gold-Diamond-Semi-Mount-Ring-/200607978585?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item2eb52ad459

I know many of you have bought from lan.bo before...

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

rubyshoes|1305503032|2922626 said:

hmmm I think they are a little bit bulky for your gorgeous stone. Since you're into that design have you looked at Laurie Smith's stuff on Etsy. I think her rings are a lil bit overpriced but her semi-mountings are marked really well. Just contact her and find out if she can make you a simple halo setting: http://www.etsy.com/listing/72419262/pear-shaped-yellow-sapphire-ring-with

I don't get how the ring is marked cheaper than just the setting itself: http://www.etsy.com/listing/42920339/pink-sapphire-and-diamond-pear-shaped

btw I second the yellow gold too

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Cherryblossom, maybe I am not looking at her etsy page properly but her semi mounts are kinda pricey.

ETA: Ok, I am dumb :) I just looked at her store again and this one is really pretty:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/44470879/pear-shaped-diamond-semi-mount-with

I will ask her how much she would charge to customise it fit my pear.

All: I did a virtual chat today with a rep from James Allen and they told me they can customise the ring head so it fits my .21 pear and they can do the ring in rose gold for no extra charge although it will then be considered a custom piece and will be non-refundable. This is the ring I am talking about:

and this is how it looks with a pear (albeit a .56 one set in it)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/pave/2609/Pave-Diamond-Ring.html

I still haven't decided if I want white gold or rose but I own other rings in both metals and am going to see which one makes my pear look pinker :appl:

BTW I was browsing for settings and stumbled upon Single Stone's website and am officially dead. WHAT GORGEOUS PIECES!!!!!!! :love:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

Pictures of the gorgeous pinkie :)

My camera doesn't zoom very well and the pink keeps flashing lights :naughty: so it's hard to take photos, but here you go.

I am in lurve :love: :love: :love:

pinkie1.jpg

pinkie2.jpg

pinkie3.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
I would be in love too if I saw this baby! It's beautiful!!!
Can't wait to see more pics :appl: :appl: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful pink diamond! :love:

I saw that it was on their SOLD list and was hoping you'd post pics.
Congratulations.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

rubyshoes|1305476721|2922364 said:
YAY, two unanimous votes for the pear. Can you share your thoughts why? I was leaning towards it but for emotional rather than practical reasons.

Another vote for the pear too - and with diamonds, when the practical factors like affordability are dealt with, you should always vote with your emotions.

The pear is gorgeous - beautiful cut, soft, true pink color. The radiant's color rubs me the wrong way. I like bold color stones but not that one.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful pink Pear. Congrats ! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results