shape
carat
color
clarity

Need princess advice from those more experienced than I

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockyTop

Rough_Rock
I ran the Gemappraisers.com DIY gem grader and this diamond sounds pretty good so far, but I''ve never seen recommendations on Crown Angle,Pavil Angle,Pavil,or Girdle mm.
Could someone let me know if these specs are good/bad/indifferent? I am buying from a drop shipper so I won''t have a chance to view the diamond before I buy. What other information could I obtain to make confirm the diamonds quality before I buy?

Shape Princess
Cert GIA
L 5.69
W 5.67
D 3.85
Weight 1.05
Depth 67.9
Table 68
Crown Height 9.9
Girdle Med-Slightly Thk
Culet None
Polish EX
Symmetry VG
Clarity VS2
Color G
Fluor. None
Table 1A
Crown Height 1B
Girdle 1A
Total Depth 1A
Polish 1A
Symmetry 1A
Overall 1A
Price $4,876

Additional
Crown Angle 40.8
Pavil Angle 38.8
Pavil 55.6
Girdle 2.3 (2.0-2.6)

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
First: let me throw out this disclaimer: I know very little about diamonds. I''ve researched a little on princess cut stones, and from what I can tell, the table should be less than or equal to the depth.

I think this matters for light return? Someone please chime in if I''m wrong!

There are questions about princess cuts all over PS. I would think at least one of them contains info similar to yours to make a comparison.

I know that helps you very little.
emcrook.gif
Hopefully someone else can offer some more helpful and more well-thought out opinions.

RockyTop

Rough_Rock
The Depth is 67.9 and the Table is 68. Is that close enough? Would a smaller table create better light return?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i believe its b/c is creates a sort of prism .............the best cut stones all seem to have depth a couple points or more than the table

gatorgirl007

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for princess cut diamonds myself and have been doing a lot of research for my BF to make life easier for myself and him. You may want to contact Mark T at [email protected] or check out website at www.engagementringsdirect.com. He is very helpful. I am pasting the information he sent to me when I had a bunch of questions. I know it is hard reading all the postings. Just to let you know. I am looking for a colorless stone, good clarity and a perfect square. I want it to blind people with the brilliance. So here are the replies I have gotten from him. I hope this helps you a little.

The diamonds are listed by length x width x depth. For a princess the ratio should be between 1.00 x 1.05mm. Divide the 1st number by the 2nd to get the ratio.
An example:

Diamond has measurements of 5.78mm x 5.55mm x 3.78mm. To find the ratio of the length to width divide 5.78 by 5.55 and you get 1.04. Any diamond(princess) between 1.00 to 1.05 ratio will indicate a square princess. The 3rd measurement from the example(3.78) is not important for the squareness.The letters after the girdle are for the width of the girdle. Eliminate any that have ext. thin or ext. thick. In choosing the diamond those measurements for the girdle should be avoided.

Polish is indicative of how well the polisher has polished the diamond. The ratings that are
worth looking at are Good/Very Good/Excellent. Usually the better the rating, the higher the price of the diamond.Any rating for the girdle that does not include extremes such as Extremely Thin to Extremely thick are good girdle ratings. Med-Stk is a good rating to have.I can have an idea of how brilliant the diamond can be by the measurements. The diamond you asked me about will probable not be very brilliant.This is because the depth is too high. Try to look at diamonds that are in the following depth and table:

65-74 table

65-74 depth.

Please let me know if this has helped you in any way. He has been great working with and I know he will steer you in the right direction.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Rockytop,

Do see this thread, at least to add some perspective....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
too shallow imo. why are you having it drop shipped?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You had very good info with 2 pavilion angles and one crown angle. From this and the table size, I could deduct the second crown angle as being around 20.5°. Of course, this is with the split between C1 and C2 being in the middle between girdle and table, which is probably not the case.

Anyway, I managed to create the ASET of your stone, but when I try to download it, it does not work. Can anyone help me out in this?

My guess would be a grade of maximum AGS-3 on this stone, based on leakage and too much green, as opposed to not enough red.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul you probably tried to save the file with a pre used name used by someone else already.

The problem with building models from Sarin (or Ogi) data is the scanners are simply too inaccurate - they use too many bad rounding algoritms (but not as bad as the posioning of young workers with Benzene - check out Rapaport news).

You can not make a 1.05ct diamond with that data - this is the best I can do.

You really need an ASET scope opinion to be sure - but the stone has every chance of being very nice indeed.

105princessxxx.jpg

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry Garry,

I get a totally different ASET-scope, because of you trying to adjust the proportions in order to get 1.05 Ct on Diamcalc.

From experience, I know that we get a higher weight in reality than on Diamcalc, and therefore, I think that you should stick to the original proportions given.

This means pavilion angle 38.8 in stead of 37.85
P1 55.6 in stead of 55.0
Crown height 9.9 in stead of 10.2, and thus also an adjustment in the C2, which according to me comes to 20.5°.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results