shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on ering center stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
I am just starting the search for a center stone for my ering. My budget for the center stone is 500-600 dollars. I pretty sure that I want a medium blue aqua for the center but I have also been intriqued by ceylon (sri lanka) sapphire in that purply blue color and the zircon in the windex blue.
33.gif

As far as cut I ** love** the octagonal square step cut (like the asscher) but also like the rb. Not sure if I can afford Richard Homers concave cuts but they are absolutely yummy.
18.gif

I''d really like this setting from WF but after emailing back and forth a few times with Bob Hoskins there, he reccommended that I obtain the stone first and that he would set it for me.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Diamonds-for-an-Eternity_998.htm#

Is this the way to go or should I work with someone like Wink who will do a stone search for me?

Any thoughts on the stones vs budget vs size? I would **love**
3.gif
something in the 2 ct range but I am thinking that is not probable with the sapphire and may not be possible with any of the stones if I want a Richard Homer cut.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should be able to get a nice blue aquamarine in the 3+ ct. range for that price, or maybe a 1-2 ct sapphire. The hunt is half the fun.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
How about these... They are Richard Homers stones. I think that there is only 1 that is out of your P range.. I think it is the spinel.. But I think that you can get 10% off if you tell him you are Wink's customer. I am not sure if they still do it.. but it is worth a try!!

You are looking for something 2 carat? 2 carat in gemstone size or in Diamond size.. they are different...

here are some nice ones I found on his site.. ENJOY!!

here is an aquamarine... Keep in mind... the actual stones are so nice.. I would defintely see them before you purchase it.. as with any stone you purchase from the net..

auamarinerichardhomer.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
A zircon...

ricahrdhomerziron562.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
a spinel

spinelfromrichardhomer675.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Windex anyone? This one is by far my favorite!!

ricahrdhomerzirconverynice563.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MINE, those are all gorgeous but that last one?? YUMMO!!!
30.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I know Kaleigh the last one is just yummy.....!!! (Sometimes, I feel a twinge about perhaps having got a yummy blue stone for my E-ring... But just for a moment... then I scroll down and see a little orange and that goes away fast.. but this one is a realllll tempter!!!) IIt is only 562.00 which puts it in kissmyasscher's Price range too...

I love the color!! I think it is just scrumptously unique!!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is the setting... MY goodness it would look BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe Iriana or someone else can photoshop the stone into it for us!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASAE???

jpgforkissmyasscher.jpg

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much MINE!
9.gif
I would love to see "Windex" photo shopped on the WF setting.
18.gif

Any opinions?

You asked if I was talking 2-3 ct diamond size or not... I know that they are not the same but is a diamond always bigger or does it just depend on the stone? I think I remember reading that colored stones are cut differently as the depth of the stone influences color which is the most inportant factor in choosing a colored stone. Do I have that right? Or have I mangled the info in my brain?
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked for #310 but didn''t see it??

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
Sorry
14.gif
...too many number scribbles on my note pad. Try #417

Thanks for the photoshop...not sure about the e-w placement. Also am I right in thinking that our computer shows the stones a bit darker than real life or is it the other way around?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man I love that Windex blue one east/west!! Sort of like Pokey''s LM.
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you aren''t sold on concave cutting... I believe that Richard Homer will do flat facet cuts too. But the windex east/west is my favorite by far.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I saw #417, it has a purple tint to it and has a big window in the center, so I still love the cushion windex blue sapphire. I loved the photoshop too. Thanks Irina.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure
1.gif
, a color should be discussed with vendor, don't count on picture because of too many factors involved - lighting, camera setting, angle, background...and only then your monitor setting.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kissmyasscher, gemstones will vary in size compared to diamonds of the same weight. Every gemstone has a somewhat different weight or specific gravity. You can use this as a guide.

Diamond = 3.51
Sapphire = 3.99
Aquamarine = 2.65
Zircon = 4.65
Spinel = 3.58

So what this tells you is that a similar weight diamond and spinel would be about the same size (volume wise).
But a similar weight Zircon would be smaller than the diamond, and an Aqua larger since it weighs less per volumn.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my rule of thumb is not to ask just for carat size by dimensions.....and i also want depth, not just length and width! no two stones will exactly the same even if they are the same type of stone. depth is as important as any of the other dimensions.

love the project!

movie zombie

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips!

I contacted Richard about the Zircon cushion and it is already sold.
7.gif

The good news is that he has several rough stones in both zircon and aqua that he will cut for me once I know the size and shape that I want. So my next task is to hit a jeweler this week and try on some different sizes and cuts to narrow down my choices.

After emailing him it seems that if I want a concave cut, the asscher cut really does not lend itself well to this cutting technique. I''m okay with that after viewing several different concave cuts. The concave cut will extend the uniqueness of my ring beyond just not having a diamond center stone. I really like to be different and not go along with the crowd
27.gif
so I think this is great choice for me.

Richard''s emails were extremely helpful and I think he is going to be great to work with. I''ll keep you all posted on my progress.
9.gif

Sugarbritches

Rough_Rock
I thought it only appropriate to change my user name since I have decided to pursue a colored gem, not an asscher cut diamond.
31.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/21/2006 4:21:13 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
kissmyasscher, gemstones will vary in size compared to diamonds of the same weight. Every gemstone has a somewhat different weight or specific gravity. You can use this as a guide.

Diamond = 3.51
Sapphire = 3.99
Aquamarine = 2.65
Zircon = 4.65
Spinel = 3.58

So what this tells you is that a similar weight diamond and spinel would be about the same size (volume wise).
But a similar weight Zircon would be smaller than the diamond, and an Aqua larger since it weighs less per volumn.
Indeed not as spinel will rarely be cut like a diamond, spinels will look smaller face up.

In this price range, you may also get a nice blue or pink sapphire or 1 to 1.5 Ct.

Sugarbritches

Rough_Rock
Deco if my ring turns out to be half as beautiful as Pokey''s I will be **over the moon** ecstatic
30.gif
That ring is down right perfection. Last night was the first chance I''ve had to look up which ring you were referring to. Even my FF said "Wow" when he saw Pokey''s ring.

We are off to try on rings tonight. I was so excited last night thinkin about it. We are just going to look but I know my FF has been pressured by his family to "hurry up and get engaged" as he is moving in with me next week. I asked him last night if it was ok that I am excited to go try on rings with him and he said Of course! I''m excited too! Which made me feel so much better.

After ring shopping, we are eating at a Japanese noodle shop that I found not far from the jewelers. My FF has been wanting to try one since seeing the movie, Tompopo. I thought it would be a nice ending to our little excursion.

I''ll report the results of my trip tomorrow.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad things are working well for you! looking forward to the next report....and eventually pictures!

movie zombie

Sugarbritches

Rough_Rock
My ering excursion went pretty well and was SO much fun!
9.gif

I''m pretty set on the WF setting but whether I go platinum or 18kt white gold will depend on if I have to change out the head/basket as the one listed only accomodates up to 2 ct and I am loving something more between 2-3 ct. A pave split shank would be my second choice but I have yet to find it in a price range within our budget.

I am still not positive about the actual stone or shape but I will say that I am over the moon about HLMR''s new aqua. I think the color is gorgeous and the cut has the perfect combination of both the square and rb that I have been looking for. I think a similar stone would make a stunning e-ring.
30.gif

HLMR...would you mind if I ask Irina to photo shop that into the setting I am looking at?

And Irina... if HLMR gives the thumbs up would you mind doing that for me?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 7:17:48 AM
Author: Sugarbritches
My ering excursion went pretty well and was SO much fun!
9.gif

I''m pretty set on the WF setting but whether I go platinum or 18kt white gold will depend on if I have to change out the head/basket as the one listed only accomodates up to 2 ct and I am loving something more between 2-3 ct. A pave split shank would be my second choice but I have yet to find it in a price range within our budget.

I am still not positive about the actual stone or shape but I will say that I am over the moon about HLMR''s new aqua. I think the color is gorgeous and the cut has the perfect combination of both the square and rb that I have been looking for. I think a similar stone would make a stunning e-ring.
30.gif

HLMR...would you mind if I ask Irina to photo shop that into the setting I am looking at?

And Irina... if HLMR gives the thumbs up would you mind doing that for me?
I don''t mind at all!! I''d love to see how it looks in that gorgeous setting!!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results