shape
carat
color
clarity

Need insurance advice please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Need insurance advice please. I have a diamond that has been chipped, not sure how. Nobody can fix it in the country I live in. This means I have to get on a plane for 8 hours and take it back to my diamond guy in my home country.

The diamond has a thin girdle and is currently set in four prongs. The stone has also come loose in its setting again. I have taken the ring off and put it in the safe.

Can someone help with these questions please;

1. Does re-setting the stone in 6 prongs make it safer, less prone to chipping?
2. Does the stone come loose in its setting due to a thin girdle?
3. My insurance company has offered cash to replace the stone. Should I take their offer and buy a new stone or get it repolished – estimated weight loss to be 0.01pt

I bought the stone in early 1999. Its insured for current market value. Not even sure how this stone would perform under and idealscope. The only details I have on an independent appraisal are that it is a gvs2 with a good finish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:wavey:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sparkles, what is the carat weight of your stone and how much you can get from insurance company?

The most safe setting would be bezel.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Its a 2.19 carat stone and its insured for $35,000 SGD. The insurance company can't tell me what future damage this will do to my premium. I personally don't like bezel settings for large diamonds and they don't look that good on me.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
$19,444 approx, based on today's exchange rate. I should get hold of an idealscope and check this diamond out and if its not so good on the scope get the cash from the insurance company and start again. The only thing is I don't know if $19,444 is going to buy me 2.19 carats of rb again.

Thanks Sparkles:confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I just did a search on Pricescope... It seems that this is the price for GIA certified 2.19-G-VS2 in the internet. For example:

2.19 G VS2 61.3% 55% GIA medium no ex ex mb 8.40mm ex-ex-mb $19436.

And it's listed as ideal cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results